rules that guide us
Article I. Name, Mission, and Goals
Section 1.1: The name of this organization shall be the Andrews Academy Alumni Association (the Association).
Section 1.2: The mission of the Association shall be to advance the religious, educational, financial, recruitment and development interests of Andrews Academy and its students. The association is to function as a liaison between the alumni of Andrews Academy, its administration, board, faculty, staff, students, parents and friends.
Section 1.3: To implement this mission, the association has these goals:
- To promote the interests, vision and goals of Andrews Academy.
- To foster an attachment of the alumni to their alma mater.
- To enhance the financial resources of Andrews Academy.
- To promote the educational, welfare and professional development of students of Andrews Academy.
- To represent the interests of alumni in matters affecting the Academy.
Article II. Authority
Section 2.1: Authority to establish and operate the Association is granted by the Andrews Academy Operating Board (the Board), and may be confirmed, restricted or revoked at its discretion. Once ratified, any proposed amendments to these “by laws” must be approved by the Board.
Section 2.2: The Association will operate within the legal confines of Andrews Academy and under the articles of incorporation of Andrews University, a non for profit entity.
Article III. Administrative Year
Section 3.1: The administrative year is from November 1 to October 31.
Article IV. Membership
Section 4.1: Membership in this association shall be classified as Regular, Associate, or Honorary.
Section 4.2: The following persons shall be eligible for Regular Membership, able to participate in all Association activities as well as vote and hold office.
- All graduates of Andrews Academy having been conferred their diploma.
- Former students who attended, at minimum one semester (one quarter), and left in good standing.
Section 4.3: The following persons shall be eligible for Associate Membership. They can participate in all the activities of the association, but they cannot vote or hold office.
- All non-alumni faculty and staff.
- Spouses of members.
- Parents of current and former academy students.
Section 4.4: The following persons shall be eligible for Honorary Membership. They can participate in all the activities of the association, but they cannot vote or hold office.
- Individuals who have distinguished themselves in service, support or other significant contribution to Andrews Academy may be elected as Honorary Alumni Members by a majority vote of the Andrews Academy Alumni Association Executive Committee members.
Article V. Governing Body
Section 5.1: The governing body of the Association, known as the Andrews Academy Alumni Association Executive Committee (the Executive Committee) shall be comprised of officers, a President, Executive Secretary, Treasurer and five (5) regular committee members.
Section 5.2: The term of office for members of the Executive Committee shall be for two (2) administrative years.
Section 5.3: An executive committee member may only serve for a maximum of two (2) consecutive terms as an officer of the committee.
Section 5.4: The Executive Committee shall have the power to fill-up vacancies in its membership due to resignation, suspension or expulsion, physical incapacity or death until the next General Assembly is held to elect new members to fill up such vacancy(ies).
Section 5.5: Any member of the Executive Committee, after incurring three (3) consecutive absences in the meetings called by the Executive Committee without justifiable cause(s), shall be expelled from their position.
Section 5.6: Any member of the Executive Committee may be subjected to a confidence vote for non-performance of duties; functions and responsibilities entrusted to him/her by the Association.
Article VI. Association Meetings
Section 6.1: A meeting of the association must be held at each Homecoming (General Assembly). The association president and the Director of Alumni determine the agenda. Additional meetings of the association may be called by the president or the Director of Alumni with notification given at least twenty-one (21) days before the meeting.
Section 6.2: At any meeting of the General Assembly and the Executive Committee, a simple majority vote of the members present in a duly notified assembly shall constitute a quorum needed to transact the business of the Association.
Section 6.3: Regular meetings of the Executive Committee shall be held at minimum of six (6) times a year, at a date, time and place designated by the Executive Committee.
Section 6.4: A special meeting of the Executive Committee may be called by the President of the Association at any time or at the written request of at least three (3) members of the Executive Committee.
Section 6.5: The presence of five (5) members of the Executive Committee shall constitute a quorum at any meeting of the Executive Committee of the Association.
Article VII. Duties Functions & Responsibilities
Section 7.1: President
- He/she shall have general supervision of the affairs of the Association and shall implement all resolutions and decisions and sign all contracts duly authorized by the Executive Committee.
- He/she shall preside over all meetings of the Executive Committee as well as the general membership of the Association.
- He/she shall have the power to call meetings of the Executive Committee.
- He/She shall submit report of accomplishments to the Association annually or as deemed necessary.
Section 7.2: Executive Secretary
- He/she shall keep the records of all proceedings of the meetings of the Executive Committee as well as the general membership of the Association.
- He/she shall notify members of the Executive Committee and/or the general membership of all scheduled meetings of the Association.
Section 7.3: Treasurer
- He/she shall be in-charge of all the funds of the Association and shall disburse the same in accordance with the By-laws of the Association and the generally accepted principles, operations and standards of accounting.
- He/she shall collect and issue receipts for all duties, contributions and donations for and in behalf of the Association.
- He/she shall make deposits and shall effect withdrawals of the Association’s finances in an account designated by Andrews Academy and Executive Committee.
- He/she shall submit a complete statement of accounts and expenses incurred by the Association at its annual meeting as well as during the meeting of the Executive Committee as deemed necessary.
Article VIII. Amendments and Appeals
Section 8.1: Written proposal(s) to amend or repeal provision(s) of the By-laws of the Association may be made or initiated by the Executive Committee or by at least ten (10) members in good standing. Such amendments or repeal shall be valid when ratified through secret ballot of the members present during the regular General Assembly called for the purpose and receipt of final approval by the Board.