ANDREWS PHILOSOPHY OF GENERAL EDUCATION
The rapid expansion of knowledge in a global community requires those who would be truly educated citizens to adopt a philosophy of lifelong learning. One must engage the mind in the study of many fields, from the fine arts and humanities to the empirical, quantitative, and social sciences. This broad encounter with the varied perspectives of the liberal arts tradition forms the domain of General Education, one of the two pillars of American higher education. By contrast, the other pillar is one’s chosen major, usually a focused study of a specific discipline and the development of required skills. The university will provide a cohesive Andrews Core Experience Program, supported by faculty committed to an effective core curriculum.
The Andrews Core Experience Program aims to develop students notable for their culture, civility, integrity, and intellect within a Christian milieu.
Thus, the faculty seeks to prepare graduates who possess knowledge, the ethical values, interests, abilities, communication competence, quantitative skills, and analytical thinking for both leadership and service, so that they may contribute effectively to their homes, work places, communities, and churches. Transmitting this foundational heritage—along with an appropriate level of knowledge and skills—forms the essential purpose of the Andrews Core Experience Program at Andrews University. As a result, the Andrews Core Experience Program strives to foster an atmosphere in which each student is encouraged to meet the learning outcomes for the Andrews Core Experience Program.
The Program provides a first-year curriculum that establishes initial expectations and basic academic skills foundational to the undergraduate experience. Anchored in four 100-level Andrews Core Experience courses, the First-year Experience at Andrews University provides first-year ‘native’ students with an introduction to academia and a balanced university life, further development of basic academic skills, and a sense of belonging to the Andrews University community.
ANDREWS CORE EXPERIENCE LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Strengthen the ability to communicate effectively. Oral and Written.
- Develop the ability to think critically, observe accurately, analyze quantitatively, draw reasonable inferences, perceive relationships, and show the ability to discriminate among alternatives and design creative strategies to solve problems.
- Enjoy the cultural achievements of humanity and foster participation in creative and aesthetic activity.
- Master content knowledge across the academic disciplines identified in the General Education tables. By specifying courses to that end, Andrews University recognizes the learning outcomes foundational to developing thoughtful citizens of the world.
- Construct a thoughtfully conceived worldview that recognizes the roles of Scripture, nature, and human discovery as sources of truth.
- Consciously make Christian convictions explicit and apply them ethically, as well as articulate individual values from the viewpoint of one’s chosen profession.
- Understand the heritage and mission of Andrews University in furthering the teachings of Christ within the context of Seventh-day Adventist faith and practice with a view to the heritage and mission of Andrews University.
- Exhibit compassionate behavior towards other individuals and show respect for the dignity of all people, affirming the Biblical view of all persons being created in the image of God who in Christ wants all human beings to be one, independent of gender or ethnic background.
Change the World
- Enjoy camaraderie with many individuals and form enduring friendships within the diverse campus community.
- Evaluate one’s interpersonal effectiveness, including the ability to work in groups while maintaining the ability to think for oneself, and strive to enlarge the scope of all personal abilities.
- Understand one’s role and responsibilities as a citizen in a secular society and as a member of a religious community; and then, beyond understanding, to respond with thoughts, with emotion, and with action to the needs of one’s wider community.
ANDREWS CORE EXPERIENCE LINKS
For more information contact the Andrews Core Experience office at 269-471-6157, email@example.com