Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Funeral Services for Denroy Black

Above everything else, 46-year-old Denroy Black was a committed father to his three children and a devoted son to his Heavenly Father. On Thursday, April 15, Denroy was driving home from his construction job to be with his children, 12-year-old Denique, 10-year-old Denoi and 5-year-old Denalia so his wife, Marvelyn, could go to her nursing shift at Lakeland Hospital. It was at the intersection of Shawnee and Garr Roads where a three-car crash suddenly took Denroy’s life shortly after 4 p.m. He died at the scene.

A native of West Mooreland, Jamaica, Denroy was born in 1963 to Murdina and Hezekiah Black. He was the baby of the family, joining siblings Pauline, Ransford, Errol and Monica. Denroy’s father died when he was young, leading him to be very independent at a young age. At 15, he began financing his own education, something he continued to do throughout secondary school, college at West Indies University (now Northern Caribbean University) and then at Andrews University. He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in 1991 and an Associate of Science in 1996, both from Northern Caribbean University.

In 1993, he began as an intern pastor with the Montego Bay Seventh-day Adventist Church in the West Jamaica Conference. The following year, he was given a circuit of nine churches, serving as the senior pastor for all nine churches. During his years of ministry in Jamaica, he was known for being a very committed pastor. After learning of his death, one of his church members called Marvelyn to say no one visited shut-ins, cared for his family or counseled with his people like Pastor Black. Marvelyn says, “I didn’t know he was such a respected man until he died.”

In 1996, Denroy married his college sweetheart, Marvelyn. The couple continued to work in ministry and soon their first child, daughter Denique, joined the family. “It was such a blessing to our family,” says Marvelyn.

The young family transitioned to a new pastoral assignment that again had Denroy as senior pastor over nine churches. But as much as he loved ministry, he felt called to study. “He chose to study at Andrews University. He had always wanted to study here,” says Marvelyn.

In August 1999, Denroy, a very-pregnant Marvelyn and 1½ year old Denique came to Berrien Springs. Just two weeks after arriving, their son, Denoi, was born. “I don’t know how we did it but God had ordained for us to come here,” she says. “He (Denroy) trusted in God. We didn’t have money or stuff like that. I feel God brought him through this because it is not an ordinary thing to go right up to your ThD without some divine intervention.”

Denroy completed his master’s in religion at Andrews in 2002 and immediately turned his focus to completing his ThD. He loved books and spent hours in study, but he would bring his research—and stacks of books—home so he could be close to his children. Denroy was a scholar at heart and he strived to teach his children the habits of a good scholar. “Every single night, he is the one who made sure the children finished their assignments. He had a dream for them, for college.”

The Black family was looking forward to having more time together once Denroy completed his education. They were planning a road trip for after his August 2010 graduation. “He loved his kids so much,” says Marvelyn. “He cared for them when they were sick and every day he made sure they took a multivitamin. His children are looking forward to seeing him again when Jesus comes.”

Denroy wasn’t sure what his post-graduation life would hold, but was committed to going anywhere the Lord led. “He was working to finish his dissertation and in that paper, he found God,” says Marvelyn. “He was a changed person. There was something different about him.”

“I’m still questioning ‘why?’ But I know God is too kind to be cruel,” says Marvelyn. “It’s a lot of pain, so much pain but we’re still holding fast to His promise that He will never leave His people alone. Everything looks so sad and dreary, but I’m holding onto hope. And my children are holding on to that same hope, too.”

Funeral Services
The viewing for Denroy Black will be held on Sunday, April 25 from noon-2 p.m. at Pioneer Memorial Church. The funeral begins at 2 p.m. A graveside service will be held at 10 a.m. on Monday, April 26 at Rosehill Cemetery in Berrien Springs. The funeral will be available for viewing via live streaming video at mms://livestream.andrews.edu/video.

Contributions to the family can be made to the Seminary Emergency Scholarship Fund by making checks payable to Andrews University and sending them to Seminary Dean’s office.

Contact this person at pr@andrews.edu.

Comments

hi giovanni mair, have been in you all church' so iam requeting my member ships to arubathe sanicolaas s.d.a church
Posted by: Anonymous
07/04/2013 at 11:53 PM
Great!
Posted by: Anonymous
11/03/2012 at 6:19 PM
Letting you and children know you have another Prayer. Jeremiah 29:11 Sis Romeo
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
I WISH TO THANK ALL MY NETWOKR FRIENDS FOR THE SUPPORT YOU GAVE TO ME AND THE CHILDREN IN THAT TIME OF OUR GREATEST LOSS. CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR US. GOD BLESS YOU. marvelyn
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
We are missing you daddy, we love you, but God loves you more. Sweet sleep.
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
It is so hard but God knows best. I am praying for you Marvelyn and the children that God will hold you all up and give you strength to face the days ahead. Just keep hope my dear friend for in a little while we are going home and then you will be reunited with your loved one never more to part. God bless you now and always DHN
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
Condolences from the Clarke's in Montego BayJamaica,to the Black's family especially to Marvelyn & the kids.When I heard the sad news from Harry that day I could hardly believe,what can we say? only thing we know is that our Lord is still in control. cheer up my sister,weeping comes for a night,but joy comes in the morning.Our family will always keep you in our prayers.If we continue to remain faithful to our blessed Lord & saviour,we will see Denroy in God's eternal kingdom,what a great reunion that will be.Cheer up my child,we are all in this together.Reinford & Jean Carke Mobay Ja.
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
Marvelyn, we shared moments as sisters back home in Mandeville and the same was done in 2001 when I visited you on campus on Andrews University. Black was the person whom I admired with his humility and caring attitude. And as I admired him around his children, Denique and Dennoi, I also realized that he was loved not only by his children but also by whomever he comes in contact with. He was always industrious and always studying and I remembered the many Sunday afternoons that I sat and typed his thesis papers and his winsome smile, gratefulness and courteous attitude to me when he looked and say thanks, Cag knowing that he would receive his reward for hard work. Now his hard work will pay off when he receives from his heavenly father a smile and the words, because of your hard work and faithfulness, you shall receive your reward. Yes, Denroy, it will be worth it all when you see Jesus, All trials will then be past when you see God, one look at his dear face, all sorrow will erase so you have bravely run the race, so rest now my brother until that great day when you shall see God. Marvelyn, you don't have to understand, just hold his hand. Keep strong, sis and be assured that God WILL take care of you and the children. Love you all, Cag, Witbourne, Ranae and Sachoy
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
TO marvilyn & children im so so sorry for your lost. i hope you will find peace in the fact that one day you will be reunited with your husband & father. please accept my deepest sympathy. love u and praying for u and family....lesa
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
Mervelyn, it will be the little things that you will remember, the quiet moments, the smiles, the laughter. And although it may seem hard righ now, it will be the memories of these little things tha help to push away the pain and bring the smiles back again. May God grant you and your children peace; may His love surround you and give you strength during your journey through grief. May your heart and soul find peace and comfort in Him. Mervelyn, hold on to your "ROCK" above, He will see you through. Kindly accept our deepest and heartfelt condolence; you are in our prayers. Lurline Simms (Mickie) and sons.
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
Danny and Ben. Jeremiah 29:11 "for I know the plans I have for YOU, declares the LORD Be still for a while and praise God for His favor, His grace and His awesomeness God is able to do the impossible and is always near He loves you and the children unconditionally..
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
To Marvalyn & children: My daughter and I regret to hear of the passing of your husband & father. There are no words that we can say that can take your pain away, but we are comforted by the fact that our loving Lord never gives us more than we can bear & with ever trial He'll make a way. I first met Pastor Black when he was the assistant Pastor at the Montego Bay SDA church & again when he came to Andrews 1999. I remember the evenings my daughter & I spent with you in your apt. on campus a few weeks after Denoi was born. Our prayers are with you now as you mourn the loss of your loved one. Remember "EARTH HAS NO SORROW THAT HEAVEN CANNOT HEAL". Joan & Antoinette Matheson
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
Sister Black, Your ministerial family in West Jamaica Conference grieves with you and your children in this moment of deep sorrow that you are, no doubt, experiencing. We commend you to God and to the word of His grace which we know will build you up and prepare you ultimately for a grand reunion with Pastor Black. Until then, remember that "all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose." Our prayers will always be going up to our loving, caring, and understanding Saviour for you and the children. Astor Bowers (Ministerial Secretary, West Jamaica Conference)
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
Marvelyn, it will be the little things that you will remember, the quiet moments, the smiles, the laughter. And although it may seem hard righ now, it will be the memories of these little things that help to push away the pain and bring the smiles back again. May God grant you and your children peace, may His love surround you and enfolds you during your journey through grief. Marvelyn, cling to your 'ROCK" above; may your heart and soul find peace and comfort in Him, He will see you through. Kindly accept our deepest and heartfelt sympathy. Lurline Simms (Mickie) and sons
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
I said a prayer for you and the kids today Marvalyn. I trust you to Divine providence because I am pursuaded that He will carry through. Remember back of the cloud the son still shines. May the Lord grant you strength to cope with your ireparable loss. Pastor B. L.Robinson
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
Words are not enough to let you know how sorry I am for your loss. I am so sad for you.. I feel your pain! I will pray for you. I will pray for your children.
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
Monica, I cannot imagine losing a sibling and the pain that you are going through at this time. Mrs. Black I met you and your family brieflly when you passed through F.t Pierce on your way to Michigan. The Brown's family want to tell yo that though we have trouble on every side we are not distressed, we are perplexed but not in despair, persecuted but not forsaken, cast down but not destroyed. For our light affliction which is but for a moment worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory. Hold on Joy comes in the morning. Pastor Mark Brown and Family- Vero Beach FLorida.
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
To Marvelyn Black and children--my heart goes out to you and my prayers are with you, even though we've never met. Unfortunately, death is part of the human condition. But we do serve a powerful and faithful God. Cling to His sustaining grace through this fiery trial. He will carry you through. In Christian love, Rebecca May (Andrews staff)
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
This has come as such a shocking news to our family and all those who knew Denroy. I grew up with Denroy in the same church in Jamaica - New Roads SDA. The black family and our family have known each other from when my years were in the single digits. The most we can take from the very hard tragedy is that Denroy spent the years of his life striving for the furtherance of God's work and spent energy and time preparing himself for the work ahead of him. He also made sure to do good while he was here. God has witnessed his handy works, and has a place for him in Heaven. To the Black Family our hearts go out to you, we love you and pray God protection and love to surround you always.
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
I knew Denroy as far back as my childhood will take me as we were brought up in the same neigbhourhood. His passing has come as a shock to everyone...but God knows best. I am very priveleged to be able to share in paying my last respect to Denroy (Denny) via internet. May his soul rest in peace. To his wife and family I say, weeping may endure for the night but joy comes in the morning. Orleas (Sheryl) mullings
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
Marvelyn, Sister. My family will always remember the care I got from Denroy and you during my three summers at Andrews. He will be missed. We will continue to pray for your healing and blessings from the hand of God. You are much more than the struggles you go through. Love Oswald & Sandy Fletcher
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
To the Black's family, Monica I cannot imagine the grief you feel at this time in losing a sibling. Mrs. Black we met you and your family when you briefly stopped in Ft Pierce on your way to Michigan. But 2 Cor. 4: 7-10 says" But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God and not of us. We are trobled on every side yet not distressed; we are perplexed but not in despair. Persecuted but not for saken, cast down but not destroyed. Thank God there is a day coming, not long from now when our sad days will end and our faith will be sight. Hold on to God's unchanging hands. God bless you all. Pastor Mark Brown and family.
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
to all who have lost someone who they love to all who have felt the pain of death let us "keep looking up " John 14: 1-3 Jesus is coming again soon pastor ron whitehead
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
Denroy and I were in Seminary together, that was 99. We completed M Div. studies and he went on to engage Doctoral studies. He was one of my brightest colleagues, quiet and unassuming but clearly gifted. I last spoke with Denroy on Sabbath April 10th. I was visiting the All Nations Church on a rare Sabbath-off from my church in Chicago and I was so delighted to see my old friend. I had not seen talked with him in over 2 years. We talked about his completion of studies and the challenges he overcame. I like to provoke him so I teased about "soon joining the likes of Clinton Baldwin and the staff at Northern Caribbean University in Jamaica". He laughed hysterically and responded; "Those things don't come easy man, dem nuh come easy, but I would love that, I would love that". We talked about the children and how much they have grown, his boy especially. He shared like complements about my daughter. We talked about my Pastoring in Chicago and he wished me continued success. We embraced and parted. I had no idea it was the last I would see my brother here on earth. Yet, soon the trump will sound and the dead in Christ will rise and there after we will follow-up our discourse we had in the parking lot of All Nations. Blessed be the tides that bind, let us remember Marvelyn and the children in prayer and support. (Paul Desmonde Lowe)
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
It was both of us first camp- West Jamaica Conference Youth Camp (WESCONYOUCA) 1993. I was a junior then he was my Counsellor. We were both inexperienced at camp song writing......but that experience has been such a blessing..more than words can tell! I know very few pastors that have demonstated the kind of humility and integrity that appeared to have been Pastor Black's way of life. We have to trust the infinite wisdom of God in permitting his departure. "Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them." Rev.14:13 Our prayers are with the family; especially the immediate family. Death's grave is ready and it will soon lose its sting; when our KING comes in! (Edgar Bennett & Family)
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
It saddens me to know that His called and chosen friends can die too. But such is life. He who allowed the apostle James to die 'prematurely' also sustained his brother John to live the longest. Both for His glory. Like my brother Black I frequently use the same road he uses. and it perhaps could have been me. But for His glory He allowed me to see another day while he allowed my colleague to rest. and i repeat 'both for His glory'! after burying his only brother, John resolved to 'hang in there with his Lord.' For he reasoned that there was none other to whom he shall turn to. No wonder, God made him to be a shining star...that continues to shine unto this day. I pray that the 'BLACKS' will resolve as did John! Kondervan
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
God be with and bless you and your family Marvelyn!!!!
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
This is Denique, I love you Daddy and I am hopefull that I will see you again on that wonderful day that Jesus comes!! Rest In Peace. :-)
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
It was a shock when Pastor Egnal Grant announced in church last Sabbath that Pastor Black was dead. I met Pastor Black when he served as an intern at the Montego Bay Church. A very ambitious & committed young man. To you Sis. Black & the children, may God keep you in the Hollow of His hands during the rough days ahead. His promises to keep His children is yours to claim. The MoBay Church Family is praying for you. - Janet Graham (Church Secretary)
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
To the Black family: May the promise of a soon-coming Savior sustain and strengthen you during this difficult time and in the days ahead. Hold on to God's unchanging hand. R. Clifford Jones
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
Denroy Black (Uncle Denny) is my inspiration in the quest to complete a higher education; his memory will be duly celebrated as I complete my masters program in 2011. In addition to his pastoral accomplishments, he was also an educator who taught me in elementary school (infant school) and Sabbath school. The main topic of our conversation has always been school. His Nephew Richard Black, graduating this fall with an Engineering degree also credits Uncle Denny words of encouragement to "make sure you finish school no matter how much it cost". He is an encouragement to friends and family who is familiar with his quest for a higher education and a relationship with our heavenly father. REST IN PEACE UNCLE DENNY. -Kerine Black
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
to the Black family: your church family is praying for you.
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
To the Black family: Our thoughts and prayers are with you as you go through this difficult period. God Richly Bless You. Appiah K Kwarteng.
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
The very short time I knew him, I realize that he was a very quiet but yet hospitable and kind-hearted individual. Sheldon Smith
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
That long message with the poem, above, was from me, Esther Bedford-Warner. Love you lots! God bless and keep you all, always.
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
From the Francis Family:Richard,Karen,Shekinah,Glorel,&Roshannah. Denroy was a very dear and beloved friend to us. I will always remember hurrican "Gilbert "1988 when Marvelyn and Denroy began their bonding in at domino game in Mandeville. How excited he was the night before his first child was born. One of the Pastors who marry me. I look forward to meet my friend "Black" in that great getting up morning. Marvelyn hang on in there, we will continue to pray for you and to be there for you.
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
May the many calls and messages from your friends, strengthen you as you realize that you are not alone. Most importantly, may the words of the last verse of this poem, from the book, "Alone With God", remain with you all: Jesus whispers "I am with you, In the sunshine, in the cloud; When the spirit is exalted, When the stricken head is bowed". Jesus whispers, "I am with you, With you still - what e'er betide. In the sunshine or the shadows, I am ever at your side!"
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
From the Crawford's family: Edwin, Carol, Moneva, Garfield, Itilda, Simone, Pameta, Renis, children and grandchildren, we are praying for you, we love you and God will see you through.
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
May your soul rest in peace my brother and walk good. George/Tony.
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
To the Black family: May the soon return of Jesus gives you hope and strength during this difficult time and in the days ahead.
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
Pastor Denroy Black, I met him while he served in Jamaica, years ago. I found him to be a Man of God who had a Distinctive way about him. I was always impress with his Deportment and Mannerism. As a fellow Jamaican, I was proud to have met him and will never forget the impact he had on my life. I still can't believe his untimely passing and would like to express my heartfelt condolence to his immediate and extended family. Rest In Peace!
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
My family & I regret to hear of the passing of Pastor Denroy Black. His Quiet and Conscientious deportment especially as he served with me at Savanna-La-Mar High School in Jamaica, will never be forgotten. He took his assignments seriously. He did his best as he touched lives and help to prepare others for the hereafter. To his wife, Marvelyn & Children, may they rest assured in the hope of the Ressurection, it won't be long before the morning. -Rainford, Diane & Mark McIntosh-
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
To Marvelyn and the children, Words cannot express the deep sadness I have felt ever since I learned of Denroy’s untimely death. He was such a positive role model and inspiration to his family and friends. Your pain is severe. Your sorrows are unbearable. But remember, “No one understands like Jesus” Kindly accept my deepest and heartfelt condolence at this most challenging time" Sheron and the children also send their thoughts and prayers to you and your family at this difficult period. We’re sorry that we cannot be with you in person. Know that we are thinking of you and our thoughts are with you. Norman Harding And Family.
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
Marvelyn, I thank God for the strength that he is giving you through this time of grief. You are in our prayers and always remember that the good lord will never leave you nor forsake you. He never sleeps nor slumbers and he knows all your pain and all that you and the children are going through. May he continue to hold you up and strengthen you and give you peace and assurance. Lots of Love Timi and Horace Davidson.
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM
I am so sorry......so very sorry. In fact, I heard of this whole incident as I was actually in the midst of playing at yet another funeral on Sunday April 18, 2010 at the Williamsfield SDA Church in Williamsfield, St. Elizabeth. All that I can say is this. There are times when not even the promise of a soon coming Jesus is enough to take away the intense pain when someone so close to you is gone, lost to you for the rest of our earthly sojourn here. These are truly the times which make one feel as though one should only have enemies and not friends because the loss of friends is hard to bear. The loss of enemies is easy to handle. So I repeat the words of famed weatherman Willard Scott of American Cable Station, NBC News, on the morning of July 18, 1999 when JKF Jnr's illfated Cessna plane was found at the bottom of the ocean off Nantucket along with his remains and that of his wife Carolyn Bessette and her sister, Lauren Bessette, "Because of our faith, we believe that someday we will be together again and the time is short in between." See you in a while Pastor Black!
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2010 at 6:07 PM