Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Valerie Phillips, Assistant to the Dean, Has Passed Away

Funeral Service Information for Valerie Phillips
The funeral for Dean Valerie Phillips will be at 5 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 21, 2012. The service will be held in the main sanctuary of Pioneer Memorial Church. Live video streaming of the service will be available for those unable to attend.

Dean Phillips was found deceased in her home on Wednesday, Dec. 21, 2011. The cause of death was hypertensive cardiovascular disease. Arrangements are being handled by Allred Funeral Home.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Valerie Phillips, assistant to the dean for University Towers, was found deceased in her home this morning, Wednesday, Dec. 21. The cause of death is not yet known. She was 56-years-old.

Dean Phillips dedicated 31 years of her professional career to Andrews University. She joined the Andrews family in 1980, first as an assistant dean and, since 1986, as an associate dean of women for Lamson Hall. In August of 2011, she transitioned from Lamson Hall to serve as assistant to the dean for University Towers.

Valerie graduated in 1972 from Union Springs Academy in Union Springs, N.Y. She studied behavioral science, religion and English at Atlantic Union College, where she graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in 1978. During college, she worked as an aide at Worcester Memorial Hospital in Worcester, Mass. In 1978, Valerie took an assistant chaplain position at Battle Creek Sanitarium and Hospital where she stayed until 1980.

In 1980, Arlene Friestad, who was then dean of women at Lamson Hall, invited Valerie to speak at the first annual Womanhood Week at Andrews. Dean Friestad was so impressed by Valerie she invited her to join the residence hall staff at Lamson Hall.

Dean Phillips not only ministered to the ladies in her care at Andrews, she shared reflections and insights gained from her experiences as a regular columnist for the Adventist Review.

Valerie was known for her warm and compassionate spirit, her quick wit and exceptional wisdom, and care for her students. At the 2011 Faculty Staff Awards Banquet at Andrews University, Valerie was honored for 30 years of service. In her award tribute, Frances Faehner, vice president for Student Life, said of Valerie, "Among her many unique gifts, Valerie makes an intentional effort to note and remember the special interests (favorite food, collections, etc.) of her residents. She is known for countless acts of unexpected kindness that are especially meaningful to students missing the comforts of home and family."

Dean Phillips is survived by two sisters and one brother.

Funeral arrangements are pending. Additional information will be shared as it becomes available on the Andrews website.

Comments

It has been a year since she was taken from our families...both at home and at work. You would think that time would heal and soften the blow. In reality , what happens is that you realize more every day how much we depended on her for help and advice. We expect to find a replacement for help in some of our daily lives and the attentdant issues that arise. Alas, there is no such person. My regrets are many, but the ones that stand out the most are not having the chance for her to meet her new great nephew(my grandson).The other is not having had the chance to take her out Christmas to look at Decorations and lights here in Rochester. I want to tell her one more time how much I have always loved and respected her. The empty spot in my chest is as large today as it was last year. I love you sis, and may never be the same person without you. Know that you are always loved. Kev
Posted by: Anonymous
12/22/2012 at 01:29 AM
I just saw the news of Dean Phillips passing. My memories of her are special ones of a woman who lived to serve, whose every breath was sweet savour, a living witness to the God she worshipped. She will be sorely missed. Lamson won't be the same without her but heaven will be the richer with her when we all meet again there. Rachel Fourny (Drabik) - Class of 2000
Posted by: Anonymous
05/12/2012 at 6:47 PM
She was so kind! I appreciated her smiles and acts of kindness to me. I remember when I first met her and I was amazed by her continuous smile. It made me smile. I never really faced her death, however, I know she is loved. This is a sad story to hear/ know that she is gone. It is good to appreciate the people you have in life because Life is short. You never know when you will live to see tomorrow! We should make sure to let the people we are close to that we love them. Dean Phillips is missed.
Posted by: Anonymous
04/03/2012 at 09:16 AM
I remember going to college at AUC with Valerie. Even there, she had a reputation for cheerfulness in the face of challenge and kind insightfulness. She was a beloved leader there as a student, so it is not surprising to read of how loved she was at Andrews. many blessings and condolences to Valerie's friends and family members. I look forward to seeing her on that Great Day when she will once again delight and warm those around her. Barbara Hernandez.
Posted by: Anonymous
03/02/2012 at 01:22 AM
It was very obvious to me that Dean Phillips loved everyone, no matter if they were easy to love, hard to love, smart, dumb, pretty, not-so-pretty, cool, uncool... She was so loving. That's what drew me to her. She was often a friend to the friendless and a listening ear to burdened hearts. I believe I will see her again at Jesus' return. -Monique
Posted by: Anonymous
02/17/2012 at 9:57 PM
I am thinking of times in our lives that some of us have gone thru, that have made us unhappy, bitter, or angry.. at how someone has treated us, or how some things with church , or institutions have blocked our view, instead of being there when we thought they were our guiding light. People are human, but we all need to take a closer look at how we interact with people, how we talk to people, how we respect or disrespect people. I still have my Valerie to uphold, her example, her life footsteps in the midst of many painful things. I am still working on ME to make sense of things that happened in her life... IT IS NOT EASY.. it takes time to heal. it takes a BIGGER person, and, more time... than just a comment, or a few statements in a sermon/ or eulogy.... to "make thing ok." It takes some effort on the part of wrongdoers/ or people making mistakes to come out of their silence , and be that BIGGER PERSON and influence with positive imprints, what the final outcome will be........ with Gods help, and make things right. I pray for the peace of the souls of all of us still in mourning for our dear Valerie.. GOD BLESS.
Posted by: Anonymous
02/15/2012 at 8:37 PM
I was just told about Dean Phillips death, my heart is breaking. She was an amazing lady. She was my dean when I was there in the early 80's. There was one time that financially I was struggling and didn't even have two cents to my name. I came to my room and there was a card (which I still have), with a little note and $5. It was from Dean Phillips. I was so touched by her generosity. It was a small gesture but it meant the world to me! She will be missed.
Posted by: Anonymous
02/10/2012 at 1:03 PM
I was going through an abusive relationship at the time when i first sat down to talk with dean Philip I was in so much pain but,that straight talk she had with me had made me the woman i am today. We on earth will miss you with a hope to see you in heaven someday.
Posted by: Anonymous
02/06/2012 at 1:01 PM
Valerie was more than a friend, she was part of our family. She was there for our wedding, for the birth of our daughter, for my parents' funerals, and countless times in between. I look around our home and see so many little gifts from her -- some lovely, some silly -- all thoughtful reminders of her. One of the last things she wrote to me on Facebook just a month before she died was "I've missed you!" If she could only know how much I miss her. -- Laurie Shoup Herr
Posted by: Anonymous
02/05/2012 at 4:18 PM
I have written a few things on facebook, but I havent written on here, so I will before someone decides it has been up long enough. What isnt long enough is the time on earth you spent with us dear Valerie. You were one of my DEAREST friends! to the family of dear Valerie, my heart felt condolences for your loss, for events out of any of our control, for not being able to get resolve for awhile , and peace for those who mourn daily of her passing. I miss you so much my dear! we use to exchange Christmas presents, not in December, but February or March... because we knew to each other that it was ok. the rush of the holidays was not forced on our friendship, because you see it was fun getting them later anyway. AND what crazy fun gifts we would send. Some of you know what I speak of! whether she was ordering online or shopping for some silly thing at Big Lots it was a hoot to open her box sent in the mail. We use to be a bit closer,...... but I moved away. But you were a "forever friend" and we could pick up anytime and anywhere where we left off. I am sorry I didnt know more of your troubles at the end of the school year, because you were a woman of grace, and taste. I am sorry your heart ached so much! I am so thankful for Rhonda and her family that had done so many wonderful things with you and was there for you too. I have been your friend for 32 years. we sang in GFC together in Battle Creek. you would come to south bend to see me or I would come up to the dorm. you made me soup or some vege meatloaf, and then you would excuse yourself saying you werent a good cook. But the caring was ALWAYS THERE. You were the most amazing, wittiest, loving, caring, Christ-like, fun, happy, and solid friend in my life. I will Love and Cherish our friendship forever. Jim Beck Orlando, FL
Posted by: Anonymous
01/24/2012 at 12:01 AM
Thank you for all you did! you inspired the rest of us to live to make the lives of others more fun, more filled with love and to just smile more. You definitely made a positive impact with your strong faith, generous spirit and never ending wit and wisdom. I hope you felt the love from all of us that you inspired! Can't wait to see you in heaven!
Posted by: Anonymous
01/22/2012 at 11:19 PM
When I was relocating to Berrien Springs, Michigan and had no place to stay because all of the on-campus housing options were closed, she did her best to accomodate my roomate and I. In fact, she found us a room in the dormitory. We had no cars, no jobs, no connections, and no housing. We were moving to Berrien without housing. We were stepping out on faith with the possibility of being homeless. Dean Phillips pulled some strings and allowed us to stay in the dormitory until another housing option opened up. That will always be fond memory to me. She was a reflection of Christian kindness, warmth, and service.
Posted by: Anonymous
01/20/2012 at 2:50 PM
She was my favorite dean. We had some great laughs and many discussions regarding the challenges Christian women face in the world. She always had time to talk and, more importantly, to listen. We will see her beautiful smiling face again on that glorious day when Christ calls His children to come home.
Posted by: Anonymous
01/19/2012 at 10:20 PM
A life well lived, a friend to many, a Christian! Leonard Quaile
Posted by: Anonymous
01/18/2012 at 11:25 PM
I was a residence Hall Advisor in Andrews when Dean Phillips came as the Freshman Dean. She was very warm, caring and had a great sense of humor. I remember her smile, quick wit and the tons of encouragement which she gave to me during that time. She will always be remembered by me as someone who iinfluenced my life in the service of others. Looking forward to seeing her on that glad morning when the saints of God will be gathered home.
Posted by: Anonymous
01/16/2012 at 08:41 AM
Dean Phillips was a special lady. She really did have a way of making you feel important and had a friendly smile when ever you saw her. I attended her memorial service today in Rochester, NY. It was a blessing to hear about her years before she became a dean. She will certainly be missed. I am so fortunate to have had the opportunity to know her.
Posted by: Anonymous
01/14/2012 at 7:01 PM
What a WONDERFUL PERSON she was! She was a "spunky" person and she made lots of funny comments! I just LOVED talking to her!! What a blessing she was to so many people. She will be deeply missed but I know when Jesus comes we SHALL meet again!!! May GOD bless her family as they go through this time.
Posted by: Anonymous
01/14/2012 at 6:35 PM
It has taken me some time to finally read the article about her death and to write a comment, after reading on Facebook that she was found dead. I couldn't believe it as I had looked up to her so much when I was a student living in Lamson Hall (1984-1987). I looked up to her because she had a way of listening and then responding with such wisdom, plus she kept me in such stitches with her humor, that I couldn't help but just want to hang around her and be in her presence. I had gotten myself into a tangled web that resulted in me getting kicked out for a quarter, and she counseled with me and counseled with me, and prayed and prayed with me. I will never forget her aligning herself with me. It made me a stronger person, and I have always been grateful to her for that. I see by so many of the comments here that she did the same for so many other young women. If she struggled with anything, she didn't let on. But she must have... If only I could have been there for her like she was there for me. But now, she no longer has to suffer anymore of this world's trials. I look forward to seeing her in Heaven. Rhonda Hill
Posted by: Anonymous
01/13/2012 at 9:03 PM
Dean Phillips was an awesome dean. It never ceased to amaze me how she always seemed to have time to talk with me. Sometimes after leaving her office I would wonder how she got any work completed because she always took the time to chat with anyone who needed her. Dean Phillips taught me what patience really is, what being a Christian means, and what loving humanity involves. You know I visited Andrews a few months ago I had to stop off at the dorm and I sure did peak my head into her old office looking for her. I wish I had found her. That's what she meant to me. Dean Phillips will be missed.
Posted by: Anonymous
01/13/2012 at 7:21 PM
Dean Phillips was my beloved dean last year at Andrews. I loved her and we would sit and chat. We shared the same sense of humor and some of the same interests. I would talk to her about my sister and family and guys and she would talk to me about her life. She always had funny, deep, and insightful things to say. She knew my secret and would never mention it or make me feel guilty. She was kind and helpful; I took many a trip with her to the pharmacy. I wish I would have talked to her again since I left Andrews, before she died. Why did I wait? Miranda Kolde
Posted by: Anonymous
01/11/2012 at 5:09 PM
I can't believe my beloved Dean Phillips is no more. When I first came to Andrews I was young and homesick and Dean Phillips was such a warm friendly presence, so easy to approach, with her infectious laughter and her quick wit. Of all the Deans, I always felt I could really talk to her. She was such a perfectly sweet person and I mourn for the generations of Lamson residents and Andrews students who will never get to know her. Rest in Peace Dean Phillips. Hermione Wilson, Class of '04
Posted by: Anonymous
01/11/2012 at 10:33 AM
Just last quarter was my first time ever at Andrews did not know where and ended up staying in Burman there I met DEAN VALERIE with a SMILE one could tell right away that this women was FULL of JOY and the first weekend their I fractured my foot and could move that much but she was always had such a PASSION for SERVICE. That day I asked her if she had any children of her own and with a SMILE said that ALL the children from her DORMS she saw like HER OWN CHILDREN. SHE LOVED GOD and LOVED OTHERS.
Posted by: Anonymous
01/11/2012 at 08:48 AM
OMG! I can't believe it's Dean Phillips that the news was about. I didn't even realize until I saw the article. I'm so sorry to learn of this unfortunate news. She was the sweetest and kindest woman I knew and her laugh was infectious. AU has lost an angel. My thoughts and prayers are with her family.
Posted by: Anonymous
01/10/2012 at 8:01 PM
Dean Phillips was one of the most beautiful people I have ever met. I remember once during my sophomore year I had nothing to eat (I mean no food and no money in my cafeteria account) she closed up her office and took me to her apartment and we went 'cabinet shopping' as she called it. After that I felt a special connection to her. I knew I could go to her for anything and not feel like I was being judged. She was a beautiful person and I hope to see her "on that great gettin' up morning".
Posted by: Anonymous
01/10/2012 at 6:22 PM
Dean Phillips was more than just a dean during my time as an RA at Lamson. She was full of life and this contagious energy, and whether you spent a minute or several hours in her office, you always left feeling refreshed and inspired.
Posted by: Anonymous
01/08/2012 at 8:02 PM
Valerie was a classmate at Union Springs Academy and I will always remember her cheerful smile, sparkling blue eyes and sense of humor. Although not close friends, it is a testimony to her Christlike qualities that I have such a vivid picture of her. We will get better acquainted in heaven, Valerie. My prayers are with you, her family, as you grieve her loss. What a great legacy she left. Gayle, Class of 1972, USA
Posted by: Anonymous
01/07/2012 at 6:19 PM
I am in shock, I just can't believe this, Dean Philips, why? You are gone to soon. You will be missed.
Posted by: Anonymous
01/07/2012 at 11:45 PM
I remember Dean Phillips when I attended Andrews in 1985-1987, she was always so nice, always made sure we attended the evening worship services in the dorm, she was so kind and is one of the most kindest people I remember from Andrews. Its so sad that she passed. May God bless her and her family. Maria Williams
Posted by: Anonymous
01/05/2012 at 12:57 PM
I was so sad to hear about Valerie. I went to school with Val at AUC and we worked together at Preston Hall and had a great friendship. We both ended up at Andrews in the 80's and our friendship grew deeper. She was a spiritual giant. Her sermons at Lamson Hall Chapel were so interesting and I still remember a lot of them today. I will miss my friend and I am looking forward to the day when the Lord will come and we will be able to laugh together again...Magaly Sanchez Newmyer
Posted by: Anonymous
01/04/2012 at 10:52 PM
I will miss Dean Phillips a ton! She could take any stressful situation, help you laugh about it, and help you feel like you could face it by the time you were done talking to her. I loved to stop by her office and chat. Look forward to seeing her in Heaven.
Posted by: Anonymous
01/04/2012 at 1:10 PM
Lord Jesus, help us to live each day and make it count. We are so much better for having known Dean Phillips. 2 such wonderful women of God in one semester.... My sympathy to those she left behind.
Posted by: Anonymous
01/03/2012 at 1:46 PM
Dean Phillips was approachable, kind and her smiling face emitted warmth. When you were down her pleasantness and cheeriness lifted your spirits up. I will miss her. But I know we will meet again in heaven. Ellen
Posted by: Anonymous
01/02/2012 at 4:53 PM
Dean Phillips truly cared for the girls at the dorm. That was evident when we met her the first time in 2007, then a second time with our second daughter in 2010, when we sat with her to talk about dorm options. She talked to our daughter, made her feel important, special, and was always there to listen. She will be truly missed, and I am so thankful for her work at Lamson, as probably many parents that were touched by her letters and emails. See you in the morning! Marisa Blahovich
Posted by: Anonymous
01/02/2012 at 3:10 PM
Valerie Phillips, will certainly be missed. In the midst of the loss of my wife Esperanza, she would often call or email to check up on me. Days before she died she had texted me to see how I was doing, and if I would be spending Christmas alone, or with family. She was a woman that always thought about others and showed it through her actions. I will miss her smile, laughter, her jokes, and the nights Esperanza, her and I would play Skip Bo together. Phillips family "Thank You" for sharing her with us. Blessings and prayers for you all. "Paul Muniz" <><
Posted by: Anonymous
01/01/2012 at 08:20 AM
I glanced on FB a week ago and saw the sad news, I remembered wishing there was a medium to express how shocking this news was and just to share in the grief. Dean Philips did two distinct things for me that I will never forget. One semester after a long summer break I went to collect my belongings from storage and realized they were all wet and had mildew. I had all my winter clothes stored away and did not have money to buy new coats etc. Dean phillips was so kind and helpful, she made sure all my belongings were restored. Secondly, after graduating from AU and went on to grad school, I needed a few recommendations...I didn't know a lot of professional folks and decided to try my luck with Dean Phillips....she was happy to help and told me to contact her anytime I needed help. She was a blessed woman of God. I share in the sentiments of previous writers. RIP.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/30/2011 at 10:36 PM
Dean Phillips was the dean I grew closest to during my time in Lamson Hall. She helped me deal with roommate issues during my first semester there. I had never lived away from home; she quickly and easily filled that "Mom" gap in my life. Her warm smiles and hugs helped melt the homesickness in my heart. Most of all, she prayed with me...that impacted my life the most. I look forward to the day I can thank her for all she did for me...I wish I had done it sooner. Come soon, Lord Jesus, come soon.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/29/2011 at 5:09 PM
I remember late nights working at Lamson and Dean Phillips would bring me goodies and sometimes crack jokes with me when I started to fall asleep. She was my favorite dean and I will miss her dearly. I haven't seen her in a few years but I would always remember her smile and genuine love and care for the girls at Lamson and for people in general. She will be missed and I pray that we will all see her again when Jesus returns. To her family, I send me deepest condolences and prayers. -Chantelle Morris
Posted by: Anonymous
12/29/2011 at 10:03 AM
I liked her and she liked me. Was a sweet blessing during my serious illness this year. Joseph Warren
Posted by: Anonymous
12/28/2011 at 11:15 PM
I cannot express how shocked I was to hear about the passing of Dean Phillips. I had the good fortune of meeting her at on the occasion of an ASPA Conference when we shared room. It was a blessed experience. The conversations we had and the breath of experience and inspiration she exuded left me blessed and I could have returned home filled even if Idid not attend any of the other sessions. I met Dean Phillips again when I was a student on the doctoral programme there AU in 2000. As one who served in Student Services I benefitted greatly from the exchanges we had. She was very sharp, kind, caring, and Christlike. She touched my life in a positive way. I was very impressed with the way she dealt with the students. She reflected Jesus Christ in ministering to them. Since my encounter with her my own approach to service has changed. She modelled for me what is truly "servant leadership"! I am greatly saddened at her passing but I am convinced that God took her in her finest moment. I look forward to seeing her in the morning. My thoughts go out to her family and friends during this very challenging time. Gloria Wellington
Posted by: Anonymous
12/28/2011 at 2:09 PM
HI, praise the name of the Almighty God, On behalf of Ngomongo Central S.D.A Church and I in Kenya we would wish to send our message of condolence to the entire Staff of Andrews University for the lost of our beloved Siter in Christ Valerie Phillips who passed away.Truly it is painful when we lose our friend who we loved. the next message of condolence goes to the Entire family of the deceased, it is painful but let us not weep like those who have no hope, but let us hope that when the right time come we will re-united together as our Savior Jesus Christ comes in His glory.may the entire Community members of Andrews University take heart because God Servant is just a sleep for a while waiting for the trumpet of Almighty God to be blown . The Entire members of Andrews University you Loved Valerie Phillips but God Loved her Most Sincerely Enock Moses Adams and Ngomongo Central S.D.A Church members
Posted by: Anonymous
12/28/2011 at 2:00 PM
I remember Valerie from church and grade school at Jackson Heights SDA church in Queens, NY. She always had a vivacious smile and a twinkle in her eye. I'm sorry to hear she passed away, but she will will on in the memories of those she touched. - Kathy (Hoar) Slough, AUC & AU.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/28/2011 at 10:05 AM
Valerie,my well-loved colleague and friend, is gone! How can it be? A double winter has come to the Andrews family. Sue, Marci and I were there to celebrate her 30th birthday. Wasn't that just a few days ago? We were enriched and blessed by her friendship, warmed by her humor and positive energy. God gave her a special mission at Andrews, and she did it so well. The above comments come from just a sampling of the lives that this woman touched. Someday soon she will hear the Master say, "Well done, good and faithful servant..." Donald W. Murray, Dean of Men (retired)
Posted by: Anonymous
12/27/2011 at 12:15 PM
This thing have put me in bed and have me thinking how we are just like grass that blown away, brother and sister I pray this will help us to stay closer to God, let us keep ourselves humbles before God and praise him because this is to teach us a lesson. Pray for God to give me strength because this hard .
Posted by: Anonymous
12/27/2011 at 10:12 AM
Dean Valerie Phillips will be greatly missed. She is the dean who was always willing to help with the international students participating in the intensive language programs. She had the ability to help match up residents and resolve conflicts. She has been a friend from the 1980s, when I invited her to work with me as the associate dean in the women's residence hall on the AUC campus. Her sense of humor and quick smile will stay with me. May the Lord bless the famiy members. Be encouraged that many share the shock and sadness of this time of loss. She is a "daughter of Abraham" and will one day respond to the call to join the Lord when He returns. Love, Jeanette Bryson
Posted by: Anonymous
12/27/2011 at 12:59 AM
<a href=http://google.com>google</a>
Posted by: Anonymous
12/26/2011 at 10:00 PM
What I remember most about Val is there was nothing about her I would have wanted to change. Genuine, truthful, always wanting to help and always permitting her love for Jesus to shine, she was a special friend and person. She had such an understanding of what others were going through. Those who had been tossed aside, forgotten, c ast out were individuals she could help because she, too, had been there. Val was always ready to forgive and never forgot a friend. I miss her. In Heaven, I will listen for that always bubbling and infectuous giggle and laugh. I'll know who it is. --CES
Posted by: Anonymous
12/26/2011 at 6:46 PM
I went to the academy at Union Springs with Valerie. She was very nice , friendly and kind. She will be missed by her friends, and family. We will see you when the dead in Christ rise first at the second coming.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/26/2011 at 5:00 PM
Dean Philips was the only dean I felt I could trust. She had a lot of practical wisdom and a close walk with Jesus. She cared very intimately about all the students. I was at AU from 95-98. A few years later I returned to AU to bring my sister to college. I stopped in to see Dean Philips. She invited me right in and acted like I hadn't even been gone. She looked for a room mate for me and found one. Life will not be the same without her!--Gena
Posted by: Anonymous
12/26/2011 at 4:36 PM
Hands down my favorite dean. Ms. Philips was one of the most warm and happy people I have ever been blessed to know. She had a real zest for life and her bubbly personality could not help but put a smile on everyone's face she came in contact with. I remember her encouraging us ladies to love ourselves and sunshine just seemed to radiate from her office.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/26/2011 at 12:53 PM
Valerie was my dean from 80-84 and my friend during and since those years. I haven't seen her in many years but she remained a friend and inspiration to my life. Although we didn't get to talk often I shall miss her and the humor she brought to my life. Valerie, I still can't sing Moment by Moment without thinking of your "marmit by marmit" words. Nor shall I forget your mustang and our shared Rabbit, Rabbit days. Sweet be thy rest and peaceful thy sleeping God's way is best. Thou art in his keeping. Sweet be thy rest for joy cometh in the morning!
Posted by: Anonymous
12/26/2011 at 02:04 AM
I will truly miss Dean Phillips! She was a faithful Christian woman who reflected the character of Christ in her dealings with us young ladies. I truly enjoyed the worships she organized in the dorm, particularly the ones that featured her, the other deans, and RAs singing! I am so terrible sorry to hear of her passing. May the Lord help me to be faithful so that I can sing with her around the throne of the Lamb. Sincerely, Mrs. Marsena (Anderson) Cook, AU Class of 1996
Posted by: Anonymous
12/26/2011 at 12:09 AM
Thanks for spending all your adult years working for the Lord,
Posted by: Anonymous
12/25/2011 at 7:45 PM
A very caring and warm person to have known. She went out of her way to make you feel special and worthy. She will be greatly missed and a huge loss to the department. Rose.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/25/2011 at 3:42 PM
On a very personal note I will miss the smiles the kindness, the wit, the joy the love that Val displayed so effortlessly. I will miss my sister. My heart goes out to her family and the AU family. Please know that I am praying for you constantly that the Holy Spirit will continue to comfort you all, especially those of you who worked so closely with her for so many years. Weeping endures for a night but joy comes in the morning!!!! I look forward to the morning! Marjorie Robinson (Oakwood University)
Posted by: Anonymous
12/25/2011 at 12:51 PM
Thank God for the blessed hope of His soon return. Val and all the beauty she brought to this life will be cherished. On behalf of ASPA (Adventist Student Personnel Association) we continue to pray for her family and those with whom she worked. Her bright light shone for over 31 years at Andrews University, touching many lives. Her legacy will live on. She will be missed. Marjorie V Robinson... Representing The Adventist Student Personnel Association
Posted by: Anonymous
12/25/2011 at 12:39 PM
Dean Phillips will never be forgotten. From the moment i moved into Lamson in the fall of 2006 to last summer (2010) when i broke a leg. She stepped in just when I needed someone and provided for me in ways I will never forget. My condolences to her family, friends and all who cared for her. See you on the great resurrection morning Dean Phillips.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/25/2011 at 03:33 AM
Posted by: Anonymous
12/25/2011 at 03:12 AM
My prayers are with Dean Phillips family, friends and also the ladies and staff to whom she ministered at Lamson Hall. God bless you all at this very difficult time. Let us all be faithful. Hazel D. Riley
Posted by: Anonymous
12/24/2011 at 06:01 AM
I am saddened by the passing of this lovely woman of God. She consistently demonstrated what Christian love truly is; a life well lived. She was connected to the Spirit of God so when she spoke, she did so in truth and power. A wonderful dean to have had as a student for a few years.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/24/2011 at 05:46 AM
I wish I had the opportunity to thank Dean Phillips for all that she has done for me. For the random pieces of chocolate, crackers, witty jokes and for showing me true Christian Love. I will miss her greatly.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/24/2011 at 01:38 AM
Dean Phillips was one of the special people that made my Andrews experience special.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/23/2011 at 8:23 PM
My Beloved Dean Phillips, It seems like just yesterday you offered to shelter my entire family for my graduation this past August. You were the sun midst the dark dreary winters of Berrien. You were a friend to many. Your smile was contagious. Your laugh brought joy to the hearts of the students. You were a mother to 400+ girls each semester. You touched the lives of every person you met. You will truly be missed. But we know that when the trumpet sounds, you WILL BE among those rising to meet the Saviour. You've fulfilled your purpose on earth.. not even death can end the love we have for you. Love You Always, Vyncia Hazel & the Hazel Family *British Virgin Islands*
Posted by: Anonymous
12/23/2011 at 6:53 PM
Valerie was my dean and my friend. I was blessed to work with her during her first year at AU. I am shocked and saddened to hear of her passing. I will miss you dear friend - more than words can say.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/23/2011 at 5:07 PM
I forgot to add my name. Lucie Alleyne. Class of 2002.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/23/2011 at 09:52 AM
No. No. No. Not Dean Phillips. I love you man. You were the best dean ever. You were my favorite dean. Because of you, I got my first job working in the dorm. I will miss you. Since I graduated 11 years ago from Andrews, I have not had the opportunity to return. I would have certainly come back to look for you. God be with your family and one day we shall see in heaven. I cannot see anyone not loving you. You had such a beautiful spirit. I do not know what to say. I wish I could see you just one more time. LIFE is too short. I love you Dean Phillips.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/23/2011 at 09:50 AM
Oh My! Dean Phillips. In one of her Lamson newsletters she wrote: You do not need a Hallmark to show you that you are loved. You have nail marks. That quote stuck with me from the year I lived and worked as an RA in Lamson (1999-2000), until today. May her soul rest in peace. She was loved & she knew it. The next face she will see will be her Maker. Praying for the women of Lamson & Damazo Halls. Desrene L. Vernon
Posted by: Anonymous
12/23/2011 at 08:59 AM
I grew up with Valerie in Rochester and went to Culver School and then Union Springs and AUC with her. She was always such a sweet sweet person, I never heard her say an unkind word to or about anyone!! She was one of the few people I have known that I can honestly say lived a consistent Christian life!! I know she will be greatly missed, it was so great to connect with her again on facebook!! I feel very privileged to count her as my friend!! Holly Preston Gayton
Posted by: Anonymous
12/23/2011 at 03:10 AM
Dean Phillips is one of a kind. Her presence in Burman hall Lobby made everyone feel at home, and I personally enjoyed the time I got to spend talking to her and relaxing in her office. She always had a smile on her face and was so easy to get along with. I feel like a part of my AU experience has been taken away from me. I will miss her greetings in the morning and her cheerful smile when walking past her office. Her laughter would fill the lobby and make everyone drawn to her. I Thank God for allowing to meet such and individual who touched and made my life that much better.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/23/2011 at 01:59 AM
I will greatly miss Dean Phillips. I cannot believe the news of her passing. I will always remember her humor when I would step into the office. My condolences go out to her family at this time. However, we have the hope of the resurrection.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/23/2011 at 01:35 AM
Dean Phillips was an amazing person and one of my favorites at Andrews University. She was always on my short list of faculty to see during visits back to AU. I have such fond memories - she was always there when you needed a shoulder to cry on or someone to laugh with. She was a mother for those of us away from home. It is sad to see her go, but we know we will see her again in heaven someday soon! She will be missed! Love you Dean Phillips!
Posted by: Anonymous
12/22/2011 at 9:13 PM
I have lost a friend, co-worker, a bright smile and a cheerful support who was always there no matter what. I remember a summer storm that hit early one morning and flooded the basement of Lamson. She waded into the trash room into 2 feet of dirty water to see if she could unplug the drain...she was never afraid to "wade in" where she needed to be but she also had the grace to let things work out and be the cheering section for a project or a problem with you. Isaiah 57:1 says that God sometimes allows a righteous one to perish because of the evil that may be ahead of them. I don't know what was ahead of Val but I do know that I want to see her again in heaven. Even so, Come, Lord Jesus Dave Rasmussen
Posted by: Anonymous
12/22/2011 at 8:10 PM
So, so sorry to hear this sad news. I appreciated Dean Phillips laughs and encouragement. May God be with her family and those who were touched by her. I look forward to the day when Christ comes.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/22/2011 at 6:35 PM
How shocking to learn of Valerie's passing. We went to church school together and were great friends. I have very fond memories of the times that we spent together. We spent time at each others homes and have stayed in touch over the years. She will be greatly missed by her family and all that knew her. As others have said, I await that glorious morning when we will once again see each other again. My condolences go out to her family. B. Zielski
Posted by: Anonymous
12/22/2011 at 5:36 PM
My thoughts & prayers for the family.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/22/2011 at 4:58 PM
Dean Phillips was my favorite dean and someone I considered a "kindred spirit". She was a great friend and mentor to me as a student and a desk worker at Lamson from 2003 to 2008. I always enjoyed her worship talks and can still her hear voice in my head... Our chats were often the highlight of my week and I had lots of fun times in her office and apartment. She was one of my favorite people at Andrews and I know she will be missed by many. Looking forward to Heaven when we can see each other again.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/22/2011 at 4:39 PM
Dean Phillips was a sincere CHRISTIAN. Wonderful, caring, compassionate...she helped me many times when no one else could or would. I miss her deeply. I wish I had told her just how much I truly appreciated her sincerity. I hope to see her again one day soon & to thank her in person. Until Jesus returns...may she rest on! Let's be ready for Jesus! ~Ashley
Posted by: Anonymous
12/22/2011 at 3:53 PM
Dean Phillips was a sincere CHRISTIAN. Wonderful, caring, compassionate...she helped me many times when no one else could or would. I miss her deeply. I wish I had told her just how much I truly appreciated her sincerity. I hope to see her again one day soon & to thank her in person. Until Jesus returns...may she rest on!
Posted by: Anonymous
12/22/2011 at 3:52 PM
Dean Phillips is dead??!!...what??...now this I cannot believe...what??...she was a great woman...I used to stop by her office sometimes & we would talk when I did not have much to...I just chilled in her office...honestly I do not know what to say this is a strange year & I know I am going to miss her heartwarming smile that sure brought a smile to my face...her death reminds me to always smile even when it is hurting; even when I meet someone I do not know well & it was nice knowing her! God bless her family
Posted by: Anonymous
12/22/2011 at 2:12 PM
Oh Dean Phillips...you were always so sweet and polite to us. I wish you were still alive. Kerlene
Posted by: Anonymous
12/22/2011 at 1:03 PM
As a classmate at AUC and Dean for both my wife and oldest daughter we will truly miss you. It was so nice to have someone we knew and trusted there at the dorm when our first child left home. As so many have commented, we never saw Dean Phillips without a smile on her face and her happiness was infectious. We pray God will bring peace and comfort to her family and the certainty of seeing Valerie again--soon--in heaven. The Bauer's
Posted by: Anonymous
12/22/2011 at 12:30 PM
I have lived in Lamson Hall for 3 years. But I l still visited Dean Phillips sometimes after I started living off-campus. She always welcomed me with her smile. when I knocked on her door, she said "Risa! My girl. Come in Come in!" When I left Andrews after I graduated, I was thinking to visit Andrews again, and see Dean.Phillips. Now I know that I can do it in Heaven only. I am very sad, but I know that she was loved by many many students and staff at Andrews. I want to say "thank you" to her in Heaven when I see her again. Risa Maeda
Posted by: Anonymous
12/22/2011 at 11:55 PM
Dean Phillips was a fantastic dean of women at Andrews. She always knew who I was and was so extremely helpful and understanding. I really appreciated her connect-ablility and availability. I really felt like I had someone I could go to while I lived in Lamson. She was there for all the years that I was and I found comfort in that. I am so sad to hear this news and what if means for Andrews. My heart goes out to her family, which for Dean Phillips is huge, because it contains all the girls she looked after over the years. You will be missed Dean Phillips - love Erin Hannah, Lamson girl from '04 to '09.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/22/2011 at 11:23 PM
Valerie was one-of-a-kind. Any phone conversation or email with her could always brighten my day. Her caring for people was evident and the positive impact she had on hundreds of lives cannot be overstated. Hope to spend more time with her in heaven soon. Pat Spangler
Posted by: Anonymous
12/22/2011 at 10:35 AM
My heart goes out to Dean Phillip's family... I knew Kevin at Union Springs Academy when my brother Mark attended in 1978. Thought I grew up in NY and graduated from USA in 1979, I didn't know Val until I was at AU from 1979 to 1984. She let me use her apt to cook dinner for my fiance and visiting Week of Prayer speaker Steve Marshall, and she was always there to show her love for her girls. She asked the hard questions about how I was *really* doing, and her caring and concern was palpable. Though I haven't seen her in many, many years, she was still my friend. Beth Cady Burghardt
Posted by: Anonymous
12/22/2011 at 10:30 AM
Wow, in shock and very saddened. I remember Dean Phillips for her bubbliness and warmth. Life is fragile, handle with prayer. May you Dean Phillips rest in peace. Love & Hugs
Posted by: Anonymous
12/22/2011 at 10:13 AM
Dean Philips was such a warm-hearted and kind woman of God. I was first introduced to her when I came to AU in 2007 as a transferred student and while there she made me feel as if I had been a student at Andrews all four years. I loved her bubbly personality because it was so contagious. She will be deeply missed and I can't wait to see her "in the morning" of the Lord's return.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/22/2011 at 09:29 AM
My deepest condolences to the family for this sudden and unexpected loss, may the Holy Spirit be with you all during this holiday season and may your hearts be comforted as we look forward to the grand reunion that is soon coming, grace and peace!
Posted by: Anonymous
12/22/2011 at 09:28 AM
I just stopped in to see her last easter to introduce her to my little girl who she gave a Mr Potato head to. That was the kind of person she was. She was my favorite dean. When I was sick in the dorm she cared for me and assured my worried mother that I was all right. I will miss her laughter, jokes, energy and spirit when I stop by Lamson. Lamson will not be the same without her. My prayers go to her family and especially he ladies of Lamson. When away from home, these deans become like a mother, and to loose 2 in such a short time will be hard. We do not know what the future holds, but we know who holds the future; so be of good courage that God will get us through this loss. So, lets keep moving forward and living everyday as if it is our last because it might be. and to be assured of eternal life and to be re-united with all of the loved ones who have pre-deceased us and part no more. RIP Dean Phillips, Will miss you dearly Sophie Brisson Spooner....
Posted by: Anonymous
12/22/2011 at 09:12 AM
the loss of two deans in one semester....I pray for strength and comfort for both the family and the women of Lamson Hall. This is heavy news, but no matter the situations, God will always be a faithful God!
Posted by: Anonymous
12/22/2011 at 08:55 AM
It is with great sadness that we learned of the death of Dean Philiphs. we all feel the loss and extend our sympathy.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/22/2011 at 07:50 AM
Dean Phillips will definitely be missed. I remember spending many late nights in her office talking and laughing during my time at Lamson Hall. She was very warm and loving with such a beautiful spirit. AU will definitely miss her and so will I. --- Freda Petit-Frere (Rogers)
Posted by: Anonymous
12/22/2011 at 01:52 AM
Dean Phillips was the most selfless woman I've ever known. She impacted my life deeply. She gave wise advice and act on it by helping others. She gave whatever she had to Lamson ladies and to all the people around her. I remembered she had a box of food under her office table for hungry students. My best memory with her was when I accompanied her to go to Walmart. She asked me to come with her because she can't drive at night because of her vision. As we are walking around at Walmart, she saw a lady who look like she is having a bad day. She approached her and gave her a hug and said, "Are you having a bad day? I think you need a hug". I was so impressed how she cared for everyone around her even to the stranger. Dean Phillips, I will miss you so much and I can't wait to see you again! - Ivy Santiago
Posted by: Anonymous
12/22/2011 at 01:28 AM
To the family and friends of dean Phillips, sorry for such a lost at this time. But be comforted our Savior is soon to return and does who sleep in Him shall rise. Denry
Posted by: Anonymous
12/22/2011 at 12:33 AM
I lived for five years in Lamson, and remember Dean Phillips as a warm, funny person. I recall her welcome back to campus speeches always got a laugh or two. She helped me find a new roommate my junior year, a switch that lead to my later being a bridesmaid at my roomie's wedding. There were plenty of times I just dropped by Dean Phillip's office to say hello, though two conversations stand out. One was when she helped me figure out if it would be more economical to stay in the dorm or move off-campus, and the other time I remember her talking about her love of ancient Greek and Etruscan art. After I graduated, I would stop by to say hello on my frequent visits to AU. I don't know if she always remembered my name, but she would remember who I was and ask how I was doing. And that, for a woman who dealt with thousands of girls in her career, was priceless. Au revoir, Dean Phillips, au revoir. ~Marianne Kordas
Posted by: Anonymous
12/22/2011 at 12:17 AM
my dear sister in christ...i will miss you. i want to see you in the Earth made new. we met when val moved to battle creek where she was asst. chaplin at the b.c. san and just loved her wit and her way of making you feel so loved by God. we sang together in the Generation for Christ Singers and could that GIRL sing! i believe that Jesus is just waiting to say "welcome home my child" ....and oh what a day that will be ! i will love and miss her "MORE THAN YOU'LL EVER KNOW" jerry lee robbins
Posted by: Anonymous
12/22/2011 at 12:12 AM
This makes me so sad. She brought me such comfort and joy. I loved working with her as an RA in 93-94. I hope I let her know how much she meant to me. Heidi Lehmann
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 11:53 PM
Valerie was new at AU my sophomore year. When my brother Jeff, one of her AUC college friends, died while attending the Seminary, Valerie was my strength away from home. Warm suppers in her apartment, enveloping hugs, and laughter mixed with tears were immeasurable sources of strength to me. And now, through these shared stories of her love, wit, laughter and kindness, I am again comforted. I long for the day when I can laugh for eternity with Valerie! Bryan Yeagley
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 11:39 PM
Smile, warmth, open acceptances sitting behind a desk filled with fun chotski. Wit and wisdom rolled into laughter! This is our I remember her so! As the song so pointedly plays in the background as I type, "Sleep in heavenly peace..." You will be missed deeply until the trumpet sound of God awakes you. <3
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 11:26 PM
I remember Dean Phillips to be the smile of Christ. I didn't know her too well, but I'd often hear about this dean that was fun, would invite people over for dinner, joked, cooked well...seemed like someone I definitely wanted to meet. And so, the time came! While in the isle at Walmart one day, my husband (then fiance) introduced me to her. I think she said something to the nature, "oh honey come here, you poor poor thing to soon marry this guy" as she laid my head on her shoulder and patted it gently. I thought, wow, she's too funny! She's also extremely sweet! Months went by and we met again. This time, in the ladies room at University Towers - right across from her office. She came out of the stall, and just before I went in, she said "I left the seat warm for you...!" with a a contagious Phillips grin. I didn't know what to say, but bust out laughing! Not often do you encounter someone who's able to break the ice and treat you as if they've known you for years. She was good at that. I loved this woman, even though my interactions with her were limited. But oh, were they memorable! Look forward to hugging her with Jesus in heaven.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 11:19 PM
Sharon Engel, Retired Dean of Women, Southern Adventist University
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 11:00 PM
Just heard of Valaries' passing. I know everyone will miss her greatly. She had such a quick wit and was so in tune with the ladies she worked with and the ladies in her residence hall. My condolences to her family and the Andrews family. God be with you as you travel this road with your students and faculty.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 10:57 PM
Among many sweet and kind things she did for me, and of course all of the jokes and banter in her office, I remember one time in particular. I was at Andrews for the summer, and I mentioned to her that I wanted to watch a "police academy" movie marathon. She Lent me her living room, tv, popcorn and company. I had never been away from home for so long and I remember how much I appreciated being treated like a daughter, and how naturally that love flowed from her. She was so blessed. She will be so missed.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 10:55 PM
Dean Phillips was one individual that I likely won't forget during my time at Andrews University. Whether it was a smile when I walked in the doors or the words of encouragement on my way to class, it was evident that she truely lived as an example for Christ. This past semester I had a difficult roommate, and Dean Phillips was the one individual who would always ask me if things were improving and let me know consistently that she was working on finding someone better for the next semester. Her caring for the students and her genuine interest is something that will be missed. I long for the day when Christ will return so that we can be joined together with people like Dean Phillips, a time when every tear will be wiped away from our eyes and all sickness removed. Dean Phillips made a difference in my semester and I know from reading all of these comments that her impact on this campus will be genuinely felt for many years to come.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 10:53 PM
Dean Phillips' smile was infectious. Her eyes twinkled brightly as she smiled, especially if she were just about to share a joke. Every time that I needed to chat, she always took the time to sit and really listen to me. As a resident, and as an RA, I greatly appreciated her wit. The laughter that we shared was a guaranteed bright spot in any day. The warmth and genuine caring attitude that she exuded are things that I try to remember to share with my students as I teach. I hope I can touch others' lives as she did mine. Heaven's reunion will be sweet! ~Abigail Lawrence
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 10:44 PM
I worked with Dean Phillips from 1995-1997 in Lamson Hall as an RN and a GA. She was a beautiful, loving, funny, deep, compassionate and joyful person. I never sensed that she felt sorry for herself but spent her life serving and bringing joy to other. Karis Gatz Kerbs '97
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 10:42 PM
Dean Phillips, you were a truly wonderful woman of God and you will not be forgotten. I will never forget when I came to you as a freshman, so scared about asking to change rooms in such an unfamiliar environment. You were so understanding and comforting and made the transition as smooth as could be. Then, later I joined the team as a late night RA and worked in close quarters with you. It was truly wonderful getting to know you personally. You had an amazing quirky energy that was contagious. You even treated me and my fellow late night RAs to a brunch at a castle! You were so kind and generous and I am so blessed for the time I spent with you. See you again someday my beloved Dean.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 10:30 PM
Dean Val will be missed in many ways and by many. Who will I share violets with to cheer the students hearts? She and I have done this for many years. May her family have peace as we look forward to the Second Advent.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 10:24 PM
Dean Phillips was my favourite - I wish her family God's peace and comfort during this difficult time.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 10:15 PM
I was in the dorm from 2007-2010, and I was on the RA team for two of those years. Dean Phillips and I had a special connection. I spent countless hours in her office talking about life, literature, and spirituality. I also rarely left her office without her giving me a small gift--chocolate, a goofy pen, or some other quirky treat. I just love this woman. She was wise and attentive and clever and hilarious. I am so grateful for the time I got to spend with her. I will miss her and will not forget her.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 10:04 PM
Dean Philips was so kind to me my first year at Andrews. I remember her sweet smile and her silly jokes helped me to relax while I moved into the dorm, two weeks late. She was so welcoming, and I still have the card that she gave me my first week of school that said "Glad you are here new girl!". She was a comfort in my life during a very trying time, as I know she has been a comfort to others as well. My prayers are with her family and all those who had the blessing to know here. Dean Philips will be dearly missed.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 9:58 PM
So many of us have lost a very dear friend. No one else has her quick wit, her ready laughter, her way with words, her caring heart. She truly loved people. I can't count the number of times I've encountered her in Apple Valley, cart overflowing with food to stock a student's car for a long and unexpected trip home due to some family emergency. Her caring showed in practical, tangible acts. How I and the rest of your campus family will miss that love, my friend! Morning can't come soon enough. Sue Schwab
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 9:57 PM
Dean Phillips you will be missed. Your friendly smile will never be forgotten and the impact your life had on many girls for so many years will never be forgotten.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 9:47 PM
Deanie I'll miss you! You were always welcome me into your office with arms open wide and waiting to give me a hug. Thank you! Can't wait to see you in Heaven!
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 9:43 PM
I will never forget Dean Phillips who was an amazing dean when I was an RA in Lamson Hall during 1993-94. She always encouraged me, greeted me with a smile and would stop ask how I was doing. She cared deeply for all the students. Andrews has lost a gem. We hope to see you on that great resurrection day.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 9:31 PM
Dean Phillips' love for Christ was always so evident! Her smile and her laugh were so contagious. She was such a wonderful mentor to me and I will never forget her. She is missed very much! Many times I would come into her office to hang out, de-stress from a crazy day, and/or seek advice. The things I learned from her changed my life. She radiated Christ's love and joy to me. My prayers go out to her family. Kathlyn Bearce
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 9:21 PM
A gem if there ever was. Dean Philips was such a joyful person. She was the spark that would brighten any gloomy day. I've never walked away from even the shortest meeting with her, feeling sad or discouraged or down. God gave her the gift of cheer and she used this gift well. It was just Thursday when I stopped in her office to see if I could borrow a music stand. She told me where one might be and I went to check. I came back to tell her I found the music stand, and like only Dean Philips could, she responded, "that's great honey. That's better than a one night stand!" Then she chuckled and said that she was glad she could help. Her laughter, wit, cheer, kindness, lightheartedness, care and love were contagious, inspiring and God-honoring. Christ truly lived in her heart and she showed it gracefully and happily. Her service to this campus will never be forgotten. I'm now more excited to go to Heaven! I know she'll be there! I am praying for all those who mourn her loss.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 9:03 PM
Val was both dean and friend while I was in the dorm during the years 1988-91. I have enjoyed working with her since returning to Andrews to work in Enrollment. She was always quick to help out with dorm tours for our future students, even if she didn't feel great. My funniest memory of her was shortly after I got married. My husband Joe and I were in Schraders Market, bumped into her and she started throwing things into our grocery cart. We returned the favor, and it became a game while we were there. During the check out process, we were in adjoining check-out lanes, and Joe grabbed a 12 pack of beer and handed it to our checker, telling her that "that lady" had asked him to get it for her. She handed it to her colleague who scanned it and had it into Val's cart before it was noticed. Val finally saw it and laughed and laughed while it was removed from her order in the register. I will miss her dearly. Mona Dower Sarcona
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 9:02 PM
This is such sad news!!! She was my dean and I also had the priviledge if working under her as a front desk receptionist in Lamson Hall. She always had a smile and a kind word for everyone. Her laugh was infectious. She had an open door policy and was ready to offer a listening ear and encouraging support to al. Who needed it. May the legacy she leaves behind serve as an inspiration to all, both past and present. MY she rest in peace till we meet again on that great day.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 8:58 PM
I first met Dean Phillips in 1988 as a high school senior planning to be in the dormitory. Her warmth was inviting, and I looked forward to one day becoming a resident of Lamson Hall. Years later, as a resident and a desk worker, I got to know her better. Her actions and words worked hand-in-hand as she encouraged us to know God for ourselves. I will never forget her open-door, sage advice, and hugs freely shared. Dean Phillips was a dear friend and I will miss her. There is a day coming when death will be "swallowed up forever" and all tears will be wiped away (Isaiah 25:8). I look forward to that day. To her family and loved ones, may this same Jesus who will one day return, wrap His comforting arms around you (Matthew 5:4). Faith-Ann McGarrell.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 8:39 PM
Dean Phillips was there to support me when I was at the lowest point in my life. She managed to make my life a little bit brighter when it felt like there was no hope. I am no longer at AU, but I will miss her just the same. Rest in peace, Valerie. We all loved you.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 8:28 PM
I will never forget Dean Phillips' loving spirit and caring heart back in 1995-1999. She listened and gave me a helping hand at one of the most difficult times of my life. She went out of her way not only to help me with my pressing needs, but to do special things just to cheer me up. I will always be grateful to her for taking her role as my dean seriously and lovingly....She will definitely be missed....
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 7:58 PM
Dean Phillips helped me through more than one painful night in my life. She listened and cried with me through multiple deaths in my family. She gave me advice and hope that I will never forget. I will miss her wisdom, her warmth, her love. She could always make me laugh, even through tears. I love you Dean Phillips!! I will miss you so much.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 7:51 PM
When Dean Phillips first arrived at Andrews in 1980 I was a night desk worker. She would intentionally check on me in the middle of the night; some times she would do this when it was not her night on. In 2004 we confidently gave our daughter into the care of Lamson Hall and Dean Phillips, as we returned to Florida, because I knew she was in compassionate hands. What an amazing reunion it will be for Dean Phillips in Heaven when she meets 30+ years of girls that she helped mold into women. B.Nugent Florida
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 7:39 PM
She was jolly. I always saw her with a smile on her face. Her door was almost always open and a person could sit for hours without noticing the time past. She was a kind, compassionate, full of love and mercy, and joyous person. True I knew her a year and no I didn't share my intimate secrets with her, but she still impacted my life. Her smiles alone and her laugh made my down days turn upside down. I am awaiting the day when Jesus returns so I can give her a hug and say thank you for all that you've done. Her laugh, smiles, and her positive aroma will forever remain with me. Thank you Jesus for giving me the opportunity to meet someone like Dean Philipps and my prayer is that I can be like her in reflecting You to the world.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 7:36 PM
Dean Phillips was my dean from 2003-2007. She one of the funniest, loving, and God fearing woman. She was always there to talk to and to give words of encouragement when you needed it. God bless her family during this tough time. God bless.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 7:32 PM
Dean Phillips always greeted me with a smile and was so bubbly. It was refreshing to run into her on campus. Even though I was never in the dorm she knew who I was and always greeted me by name. She was such a blessing to the Andrews Campus and I know she will be missed. ~Shelli Wilson
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 7:32 PM
I knew Valerie when we were attending Union Springs Academy and AUC, and I also had the privilege of being her roommate a semester at each school. If I could be as wonderful as she, I would be totally satisfied with my life. RIP beloved Roomie' I'll see you in the morning.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 7:28 PM
Dean Phillips helped me deal with somthing I was struuggling with while enrolled in the Counseling program. i remember one night sitting in her office complaing and crying about something i was in counseling for and Dean Phillips said, "There is no reason to ask why now because you will never get an answer. She said this world is full of sin and tht is the only answer for now until I get to heaven. then she gave me the Bible verse2Cor1:3-4.Then she said don't ask why ask how. How an I live with. How can I use it to help and comfort others. just plain How can I. i will never forget that advice. i am a dean now and I use that with all my students that are struggling. This past summer I had a traumatic medical event where i could have died and in recovery I remembered what Dean Phillips told me. I tank the Lord that she was a part of my life.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 7:16 PM
She was one of my heroes and a real mentor to me during my three years in Lamson Hall. Like many Lamson girls I looked up to her and have such fond memories of her laughter and sage advice when we girls came to her with our many troubles. Her 30th birthday passed while I lived in the dorm and I remember getting an invitation, along with several other girls, to a little get-together in her room. I still remmeber the wording of her invitation: "Many people complain about turning 30, but when you consider the alternatives: Never reaching 30, or going straight to 31, it sounds pretty good." I thought of that myself when I turned 30 ... and 40 ... and will soon remember it when I turn 50. I hope she remembered it herself at 40 and 50 and I'm sad she won't reach 60 or any other milestones. Another favourite story of Dean Phillips was a worship talk she gave in the girls' dorm one night when she was talking to girls about single life and finding "Mr Right" and she told the story of a man she knew who had an avacado pit and was told if you put it in a glass of water it would sprout. He put the pit in a glass, pulled up a chair and started to watch, expecting this to be an instantaneous process. His friend put a hand on his shoulder and said, "One word of advice: Do something while you wait." That, she said, was her advice to us young women about finding "Mr Right" -- do something while you wait, so you life won't be about sitting around waiting for the right guy to come along. More wise advice I tried to follow -- and I always felt that Valerie Phillips, as a single woman, was a great role model for doing something with your life!!!! I haven't been in touch with her since leaving Andrews but hearing of her passing still leaves an empty space. May she rest in peace and rise in glory. Trudy Morgan-Cole, St. John's NL
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 7:13 PM
Wow, this is crazy, I just emailed her :/
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 7:10 PM
Dean Phillips was a wonderful person and a wonderful dean. As a colleague of hers for many years, I admired her passion, dedication, and true concern for students. We have lost a true friend. God bless her family as well as the Andrews family. Sue Curtis La Sierra University
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 7:02 PM
ALL I CAN REMEMBER IS THAT LOVABLE CHUCKLE OF A LAUGH SHE HAD THAT WAS SOOOOOO INFECTIOUS. IT ALWAYS BROUGHT A SMILE TO MY FACE TO HEAR HER LAUGH. I THAN GOD FOR ALLOWING ME THE HONOR OF CROSSING HER PATH AND I TRUST IN HIM ALWAYS. PROV. 3:5
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 7:00 PM
Such a huge loss. Valerie was one of those people who could bring sunshine into the lives of those around her. It was such a pleasure to find that Facebook could reconnect with such persons, and keep them in your life! She is someone who will be sorely missed, by many, even if she was no longer in their immediate lives. We look forward more every day to the appearance of the Savior. John MacCall Wood
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 6:50 PM
"It is more blessed to give than to receive." Acts 20:35. This verse is what Dean Phillips did on a daily basis! May God bless with peace all those who feel this loss, and it is my prayer that we may pass on the love and service she personified until Jesus returns. ~Jacqueline
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 6:38 PM
AU present and past students in the UK are keeping Dean Phillips family and the Andrews family in our prayers!
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 6:09 PM
I treasured my time knowing Dean Phillips during my stay at Lamson Hall at Andrews University. I always loved her worships the most, because she was so funny, but loving, and I could tell that she loved God, too. I even remember one time when I was about to bake brownies at the dorm, but discovered that I was short two eggs. She marched off to her apartment, and promptly returned with the eggs, in exchange for one of my brownies. May her family find comfort and peace in the hope of Jesus' soon return and His presence in our lives to help us through tough times. Rebecca White
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 6:06 PM
Valerie was so special to our family. When our son, Jeff, was killed (who was her friend) she was so supportive in so many ways to his three younger brothers. That support extended over the years since. She brought joy and comfort to our family. I have so many found memories of her years at Battle Creek. She has always brightened the lives of each one in our family. She will be greatly missed by each of us. The resurrection morning can't come too soon! Roberta Yeagley
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 6:00 PM
I grew up with Valerie and her siblings. We all went to Culver School in Rochester, N.Y. I remember Valerie always with a smile on her face. It's been many years since I have seen her, but was so glad to find her on Facebook. We were playing "Words With Friends" and I had a hard time beating her with her strong knowledge of words. I've been waiting for her next move for three days!. I guess that won't be happening now. I always looked forward to reading her articles in our church periodicals. I always heard such nice things about Valerie. Rest in peace, Valerie and I'll see you when Jesus returns for His special people. Cindy Sumner hamilton
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 5:55 PM
I didn't know Dean Phillips. But her emails were always very polite and punctual. May she Rest In Peace.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 5:35 PM
I wish I could talk to you, Valerie, but I know you are finally resting from this cruel world. I knew you were hurting inside but you made sure all of us around you had a smile with your ways of making us laugh. Hope someday soon we will get together in Heaven as our team met every morning in the Board room to read the Bible, laugh, sing, and pray. I remember you sang at our morning meeting "Sometimes He Calm the Storm." Oh how much I miss you already. I am looking forward to the day when I will meet you again in heaven. It was good to know you Valerie - Dean Phillips (once a Dean always a Dean), a great woman with amazing talents, ready to spread love around us, and a surmount of experience as a Dean. Willyta Wamack
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 5:24 PM
Thinking and praying for the Andrews University campus, again touched with tragedy. Allen, Pam and Malissa Harris
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 5:22 PM
Just before going to Andrews Valerie was my assistant chaplain at Battle Creek Sanitarium Hospital for two years. She had an uncanny ability to recount her visits verbatim. Her compassion for ill people was unquestioned. Whereas some female chaplains could be intimated by rough-speaking substance abuse patients, Valerie looked them in the eyes and saw what was beneath their brashness. She knew how to meet the most challenging and difficult patients. I loved Kermit the frog's song, It's not easy being green. One morning I entered my office to find little green frogs all over my drapes and desk. I'll never forget Kermit AND I will never forget Valerie. When I interviewed her for the job she came right to the point saying "Well, do I have the job?" How could I say NO? My life is much richer because of Valerie. My regards and prayers for her family and friends. Larry Yeagley
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 5:21 PM
Another reason to yearn for Heaven Let us all " Keep looking up " John 14:1-3 Pastor Ron Whitehead
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 5:06 PM
Two deans to pass away in one semester, so sad.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 5:05 PM
I will always remember hearing the laughter that would come out of her office at Lamson. I wasn't close with her, but she still made an impact. Praying for all my Lamson women.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 4:53 PM
Dean Phillips was a blessing. Freshman year I got a fever and felt too tired to eat or drink. While returning from the restroom I fainted in the hallway because of low blood pressure. Back in my room I called my mom and she called the dean. Dean Phillips came up to my room and took me down to her apartment where she fixed me a sandwich and something to drink. Then she kept me on the couch in her office until she went off duty when she had Dean Madrigal watch me until I felt like going back to my room. Dean Phillips lived to serve us girls. She will be sorely missed, but I have every confidence of seeing her on Resurrection morning! ~ Krisalyn Swayze
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 4:51 PM
I first met Valerie at USA our senior year...she was close friends with my room mate and she spent a lot of nights in our room. We had a lot of laughs. What I really admired about her at that time, she was one of the few women I knew that didn't gossip....Valerie, you are missed!
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 4:47 PM
She always brought life and filled good spirits with cheers through her humor and work. She wasn't one of the good, she was one of the best around...
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 4:42 PM
Just last week, I was telling some people who knew nothing of Dean Phillips or AU what a tremendous blessing she had been to so many young women over the years. I always thought of her as one of my "guardians" and cannot count the many times and ways she extended her care. I am a better person for having known her and am deeply thankful for having had that privilege.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 4:41 PM
Thats crazy, i was one of the few students to stay in the dorm over christmas break. although i did not stop by her office every day to say hi, i saw her intently working everyday for long hours as i passed by. Dean Philips will be missed, her sarcastic humor was refreshing. RIP. JAMES PARKS AKA WILL SMITH
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 4:27 PM
We have had out ups on downs but in the end you never fail to show me that you love and care for me. There are many times I wanted to quit and each time you are always there with a world of encouragement. You will be greatly missed.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 4:18 PM
I only had the opportunity to meet Valerie once, but her warm spirit was enough to spark joy in my day. Her smile will stay with me :)
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 4:12 PM
I am so sorry to hear about this. Dean Phillips was an amazing woman, and she definitely brightened my day every time I saw her while I was a student at Andrews. My thoughts and prayers are with her family.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 4:00 PM
Dean Phillips was my dean and she was always so pleasant and happy. Always telling jokes to make me laugh. I would always just go by her office to see her and talk if she was in. She always had time for me and anyone that came to her door. She loved playing games and had students over for game nights. She was a great women of God and she will be deeply missed by all the people that she came in contact with. She always had a Real smile on her face and was real with everything she did. I could tell she loved Jesus because she lived to glorify him. It is very sad to see her go but I have that hope of the day when Jesus will come back and those that are dead will rise again to meet those that are alive in the air to see Jesus. She was the best dean ever and I will miss her. ~Laura Carroll
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 3:56 PM
I'm eternally grateful to have Dean Phillips as one of my deans. She was always kind, and always made time to speak with me in her office. Dean Phillips thanks for being there for us. May God comfort the women of Lamson Hall and all those touched by her life.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 3:45 PM
I only lived in Lamson my first year at Andrews so I didn't get to know Dean Phillips very well.. but she was ALWAYS sweet and kind to me and that really, really made a difference to me while I've been at andrews. Dean Phillips is just one of those people that you have no doubt in your mind know God.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 3:32 PM
Dean Phillips was a blessing to me. I came to Andrews Universtiy my freshman year having just learned of the divorce of my parents. I struggled to get through the year. At times I thought I would give up. I was a long way from home, heartbroken and experiencing a lot of pressure trying to help my parents through it all. Dean Phillips helped me and cared about me when I was trying to take care of everybody else. She touched my life. she gave me courage, love and care when I felt alone. She was a genuine, friendly, fun, lady and was the voice, the hands and the arms of Jesus. She will forever be remembered as an angel hear on earth.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 3:20 PM
I have know Valerie since grade school in Rochester, NY and consider a very good friend although we haven't seen each other much lately. I just received a Christmas present from her a couple days ago! I will miss you greatly Val! Looking forward to seeing you again soon!
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 3:20 PM
Very sad to hear about the loss of such a sweet and loving person. I will remember you with great memories of my time living @ Lamson Hall when I was a student @ AU from 1993-1997. However, we have such great hope in Jesus Christ and his soon return. Until we meet again in Heaven!
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 3:07 PM
This lady had a such a beautiful personality, so cheerful, so nice, so helpful. I only knew her for a short time but she made sure that I smiled everyday that I worked with her. I definitely saw Jesus in her. The world needs more people with a heart like Dean Phillips. My condolences to her family and to the Andrews University Family, Thank God for allowing us to be blessed with the life of Dean Philips. - Richard Henderson
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 3:06 PM
My precious friend. You are the sunshine in any room. Your constant care and concern for the girls in the dormitory, your friends and your family, putting yourself aside, is inspirational. And then there was your wit, speed of speech, incredible humor. Love you Phyllis, and can't imagine not seeing you again. Gwen.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 2:57 PM
Shocked and saddened. So thankful for Dean Phillips when I was going through a tragic time while at school. My heart is heavy but I'm so grateful that I knew her.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 2:56 PM
Dean Phillips was my dean for all 3 years in Lamson, and she was truly a light to all who came in contact with her. She always offered a smile and words of encouragement to anyone who needed it. God used her to touch many lives including my own.I join with the Andrews community in prayer for her family and loved ones, and praise God for the hope of heaven. -Sarah Hook
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 2:49 PM
It was always a pleasure to work with her, and when I finally met her in person, she was an awesome person. Praying for comfort for her family.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 2:47 PM
Soo Sad! I lived in Lamson for all 4 years I was attending AU and she made my life wonderful there. I loved her. Her passing is extraordinarily sad! My prayers are with all the girls' whose lives she touched, her family and her dorm coworkers/family.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 2:44 PM
This is very sad news, I will be praying all those who were close to her
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 2:38 PM
Prayers go out to your campus family from Southern Adventist University.... - G. Hayes
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 2:37 PM
Words seem so empty for a woman who could touch both your heart and mind with the wit and wisdom of her words....She could make you laugh, smile, blush, or cry... in the memorable beauty of her life she will leave a hole in the hearts of many. I was honored to have her as a mentor and friend....Sonia Perez
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 2:29 PM
My heart is so heavy with this news . . . suffice it to say that Valerie Phillips made a difference. 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 King James Version (KJV) 13But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. 14For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. 15For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. 16For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 18Wherefore comfort one another with these words.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 2:27 PM
Wow! What a loss. She was truly a vivacious, joyful, and caring Dean of women at Lamson. Her newsletters to parents and communication with the girls were wonderful. It is even tougher to absorb being the season we are in. But that makes the celebration of Christ's Birth all the more glorious; in that we will see Dean Phillips again at His second coming. In the meantime, to her family and friends we say, remember Isaiah 57:-2 which tells us "Good people pass away; the godly often die before their time...But we need to understand that God is protecting them from the evil to come. For those who follow godly paths will rest in peace when they die." For Dean Phillips we can truly say of her, "REST IN Peace". Karen & Clifford Allen, A.U. Department of Nursing
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 2:27 PM
Andrews University is saddened by this sudden and untimely loss. Dean Phillips has given years of exemplary service to the university and its students, and she will be sorely missed.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 2:26 PM
She was a wonderful person. I remember having the stomach flu and her taking me to the hospital in St. Joseph and waiting there with me all night long. Condolences to her family.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 2:25 PM
Dean Phillips...I don't even know where to begin. She was real and for that I'm eternally grateful. Two moments stand out in my mind: one when she rightly reprimanded me and the other when she graciously gave me the most glowing recommendation for a future employer. She was able to see what was good in people, celebrate that and help refine the other stuff. She did that with me and I know I'm by no means an exception. I thank God for her and I'm frustrated that she didn't live a whole lot longer. Heaven awaits... -Michaela Lawrence Jeffery
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 2:21 PM
So sorry to hear this! Praying for the family.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 2:20 PM
Dean Phillips will be truly missed. Hundreds of girls' lives are different because of her. Looking forward to that "get up morning"
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 2:15 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Dean Phillips. My heart is heavy for the Women of Lamson as they lay another of their Deans to rest. Lord, speed up the day when death will be no more!
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 2:10 PM
Valerie was a great dean and became a good friend. I am shocked and saddened by this news! She was one of those rare people who just "got it" and the loss to your campus will be deep. My condolences to her family; personal and Andrews. There WILL come a Day.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 2:09 PM
I will miss her sense of humor and how she cared for the students. She was encouraging to myself and friends when I attended as a student.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 2:04 PM
She was a pleasure to work with and great fun to hang out with. Though she will be missed, I know we'll see her soon. Take heart, have hope and rejoice in the Lord always.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 2:03 PM
Our family mourns with those of our extended AU family
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 2:02 PM
I never saw Dean Phillips without a smile. She gave me some of the best advice during a very difficult time. Her humor and love for chocolate was contagious. My prayers are with her family. I can't wait to see her in heaven!
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 2:02 PM
This is a terrible blow. The only consolation is knowing that she will be in the kingdom when the Lord returns. She was beautiful, funny, caring, and witty. Her passing is just shocking. My prayers go to her family, friends and the ladies and staff of Lamson Hall. This is a terrible loss for the AU community. Holy Spirit please send your comfort and strength to your children.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 1:59 PM
I am very sorry to learn of this. My condolences to her family, and all of the AU family. May we ever keep the promise of 1st Thess. 4:13-18 in our hearts.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 1:56 PM
I wouldn't have stayed at Andrews past my first semester if it wasn't for Dean Phillips. She noticed that I needed support, before I even did. It was her tender care that kept me on the path God had for my life. I hope some day in heaven I get to thank her for everything she did.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 1:53 PM
Dean Phillips was my dean when I came to AU back in 1982. She always greeted you with a smile, and would help out where she could. I enjoyed being a colleague on the campus throughout the years, and will miss her deeply. She was a wonderful lady who touched the hearts of thousands of Lamson women. We will wait for the "joy in the morning" when Christ shall come and raise her up again.
Posted by: Anonymous
12/21/2011 at 1:50 PM