Acapella Group is Pitch Perfect

Agenda | Posted on January 15, 2015

NOTE: The following is an excerpt (link to full story follows) from an interview with The Filharmonic done by the Herald Palladium. The Filharmonic will perform at the Howard Performing Arts Center on the campus of Andrews Univeristy on Sunday, Jan. 18, at 7 p.m. Visit howard.andrews.edu for tickets.

Joe Caigoy had already transferred to Michigan State University when he got the call.

Vocal bass Jules Cruz and beat boxer Niko Del Rey, who Caigoy had previously performed with, were putting together an all-Filipino-American a capella group to audition for the fourth season of NBC's musical competition, "The Sing-Off."

"They asked me if I wanted to be a part of it so I flew home to Los Angeles," Caigoy says by telephone from Lansing.

In addition to Caigoy, Cruz and Del Rey also recruited vocalists VJ Rosales, Trace Gaynor and Barry Fortgang to form the group now known as The Filharmonic.

"Jules knew Barry from middle school and they grabbed the other two guys from other singing competitions," Caigoy says. "The day I flew in was the day we all met, and it was the day we filmed our audition tape."

<<< Read the full story >>>