MS Thesis Titles
Biology graduate students do research and report their findings in a master's thesis. When that thesis is prepared for publication in the professional literature, it will appear on our "Publications" page. All MS thesis titles are shown in the list below in order of their completion date.
Megna, Libby C. Reproductive success of gulls in the Larus glaucescens-occidentalis complex on Protection Island, Washington.
Payne, Brianna Gale. Temporal dynamics of Galapagos marine iguana (Amblyrhynchus cristatus) haulout.
Trecartin, Alexander. Intestinal parasites in Fox squirrels (Sciurus niger) from Southwest Michigan.
- Cowles, Jonathan Daniel. A mathematical approach for predicting harbor seal haul-out.
- Biswas , Myrna May. hcnABC gene expression in the soil bacterium Pseudomonas putida ATH-1RI/9 under various culture and Rhizosphere conditions.
- McWilliams, Kelly Marie. Modeling the incidence of Copulation of a Glaucous-winged Gull Colony.
- Burden, Christina Marie. Variability in the Calling Song of Two Field Cricket Species (Gryllus veletis and G. pennsylvanicus).
- Kisser, Brooke C. The Relationship between Dental Growth Increments and Body Temperatures through Hibernation in Free-ranging Thirteen-lined Ground Squirrels, Spermophilus tridecemlineatus.
- Matak, Andrija. Synthesis and Spectroscopic Analysis of 4’-Amino and 4’-Sulfonamide Chalcone Derivatives and Ultrastructural Effects of 4’-Sulfonamide Boronic Acid Chalcone on Eimeria papillata Sporozites in vitro.
- Samuel, Leslie Reginald. The Relationship between Syllable-Period Selective Processing in the AN2 Interneuron and Syllable-Period Selective Phonotaxis in G. Bimaculatus
- Schafer, Abigail S. Rahel. Taphonomy and Paleoecology of Microfossils from the Black Mountain Turtle Layer, middle Eocene Bridger formation, Southwest Wyoming
- Troyer, Ellery James. Plant Biodiversity Study of Fernwood Botanical Garden and Nature Preserve, Berrien County, Michigan
- Campbell, Christopher. Ultrastructural Analysis of Plasmodium yoelii yoelii During Midgut Development in Anopheless tephensi.
- Graham, Natalie. A transmission electron microscopic study of the endogenous stages of Cryptosporidium parvum with emphasis on gametogenesis and fertilization.
- Harvard (Badduke), Chansonette. Differential gene expression analysis in normal mesothelial and mesothelioma cell lines using cDNA microarray.
- Dee, Jennifer Lynn. Thermal alteration and degradation of avian dinosaur eggshell.
- Santiago, Hector Eduardo. Ontogenetic changes in the bone histology of Larus glaucescens and comparison to non-avian dinosaurs.
- Smith, Pamela Frances. Plant biodiversity study of Warren Dunes State Park, Berrien County, Michigan.
- Wilson, Davley-Ann D. YGR150C affects growth and COX2 protein levels in the yeast saccharomyces cerevisiae.
- Damania, Smruti P. Habitat patch occupancy dynamics in glaucous-winged gulls (Larus glaucescens): A continuous-time model.
- Phillips, Karl Wesley. Habitat patch occupancy dynamics in glaucous-winged gulls (Larus glaucescens): A discrete-time model.
- Jeffery, Jason Robert. Selective processing of calling songs by auditory interneurons in two species of female crickets: Possible roles in behavior.
- Foune, Catherine Lynn. Scanning and transmission electron microscopy of root colonization of velvetleaf (Abutilon Theophrasti) and corn (Zea Mays) seedlings of Pseudomonas Putida.
- Franke, Ruthie Diane. Vertebrate survey and Peromyscus captures by habitat at Arthur Dodd Memorial Park, Cass County, Michigan.
- Gurley, Horace Gordon. Investigation of velvetleaf (Abultilon theophrasti) and corn (Zea mays) root colonization and plant growth effect, by alginate-encapsulated weed deleterious rhizobacteria formulated at two phases of growth.
- Klein Leffler, Yolanda Lynnette. Direct somatic embryogenesis in velvetleaf (Abutilon theophrasti): 2,4 dichlorophenoxyacetic acid induction of late heart to early torpedo stage zygotic embryo explants.
- Celestine, Ronald. Correlations between Christmas Bird Count numbers of house finches and those of purple finches, house sparrows, and American goldfinches in North America.
- Stijnman, Frank. Sequence Analysis of Caenorhabditis elegans RAPD-Generated DNA Fragments.
- Fang, Hongyu. Age-dependent coupling between the ON1 neuron and the contralateral L3 neuron: control of syllable period-selective processing in the female cricket (Acheta domesticus).
- Thornton, Benjamin J. Nesting ecology of the endangered acklins bight rock iguana, Cyclura riley nuchalis, in the Bahamas.
- Wilson, Delamae J. The effect of media composition on the antimicrobial activity of electrochemically generated colliodal silver.
- Milks, James. Distribution and capture patterns of small mammals at Dayton Prairie, Berrien County, Michigan.
- Navia, Benjamin A. Intracellular evaluation of the prolonged response of the L3 auditory interneuron of the female cricket Acheta domesticus.
- Norling, Jessica Mary. The Effect of Ditching on the Composition and Distribution of Vegetation at Dayton Wet Prairie, Berrien County, Michigan.
- Trone, Marie. Diel patterns in icthyofaunal assemblages of the sandy surf zone: A survey of two bays in Tobago.
- Bronsert, Michael Richard. A possible behavioral role for the prolonged response of L3 in the regulation of phonotactic threshold of female crickets (Acheta domesticus).
- Smith, Denise. Bacterial degradation of avian eggshell: Taphonomic and ecological implications. (Currently a Ph.D. student at Western Michigan University.)
- Wawiye, Joyce Rose. Ultrastructural & immunoelectron microscopic examination of the rodent malarial parasite, Plasmodium yoelii yoelii
- Willsey, Daniel S. Distribution of arthropods on southeastern Lake Michigan sand dunes, Grand Mere State Park, Berrien County, Michigan. (Currently a physician's assistant in Dayton, Ohio.)
- Bingol, Hillary Danielle. Prolonged responses to calling songs by the L3 auditory interneuron in female crickets (Acheta domesticus).
- Gildersleeve, Heidi. Characterization of plant associated isolates of Pseudomonas aureofaciens by biochemical testing and ribotyping.
- Suwanto. Agrobacterium-mediated transformation and regeneration of two commercially important lines of sunflower (Helianthus Annus L.).
- Clayburn, Jere K. Taphonomic effects of pH and temperature on glaucous-winged gull (Larus glaucescens) eggshell.
- Hao, Jing. Juvenile hormone III modulates the phonotactic sensitivity of female crickets, in part, through regulation of gene expression in an identified auditory interneuron
- Lofton-Brook, Lorinda. Localization of sporozoite antigens of Eimeria papillata (Ernst, Chobotar, & Hammond, 1971) during development in cultured hosts cells & in vivo using immunoelectron microscopy.
- Ramseier, James A. A mechanism for syllable period selective responses by L3 in the prothoracic ganglion of the cricket.
- Coburn, Pamela S. Juvenile hormone III regulates changes in nicotinic receptor-like mRNA levels in the L3 auditory interneuron of the cricket which parallel behavioral and neurobiological changes in syllable period selectivity.
- Royer, Steven J. Sequence analysis of the mate-greeting interaction in Larus glaucescens and Larus argentatus.
- Wiley, Craig A. The morphogenic effects of thidiazuron on in vitro cultures of velvetleaf (Abutilon theophrasti) seedlings and seedling-derived tissue.
- Ashton, Nadine L. Behavior durations of Larus gulls.
- Bacchus, Kendol L. A survey of the effects of selected plant growth regulators on in vitro culture of cotyledons and hypocotyls of velvetleaf (Abutilon theophrasti).
- Gonzalez-Vega, Noemi M. Immunolocalization of Eimeria papillata (Ernst, Chobotar, & Hammond, 1971) sporozoites antigens by monoclonal antibodies.
- Zhuang, Shunrong. Factors controlling callus induction and propagation in the Australian stinging tree (Dendrocnide moroides).
- Hayes, Valerie Y. Expression of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in auditory neurons of crickets: a possible role in the regulation of phonotaxis.
- Henley, John R. Juvenile Hormone III regulates the response properties of L3, an auditory interneuron in the cricket.
- Spore, Chrystal. Systematic molecular analyses of the North American subspecies of Urtica dioica L. using chloroplastic DNA, nuclear ribosomal DNA, and isozyme variation.
- Zacharias, David A. Molecular and behavioral evidence for the regulation of the threshold of an auditory interneuron, L1, in Acheta domestica by Juvenile Hormone III.
- Francis, Rita Priyadarshani. Regulation of fatty acid biosynthesis by physical exercise mechanisms of inhibition.
- Turon, John. The isolation and culture of etioprotoplasts and green protoplasts from cortical cells of subapical stem sections of the common pea (Pisum Sativum L.cv.Alaska).
- Kohne, Raymond Ernest Arnold. One-eared phonotaxis in Acheta domestica: a behavioral procedure for evaluating auditory neuron function.
- Mbungu, David Njeru. The morphology and song encoding properties of two omega-shaped auditory interneurons in the cricket Acheta domestica L.
- Walikonis, Randall S. Correlations between age-related changes in Juvenile Hormone III biosynthesis, phonotactic threshold, and syllable period selectivity in the house cricket, Acheta domestica L.
- Atkins, Steven Norris. Syllable period selective suppression of the song-encoding properties of an ascending prothoracic interneuron in the cricket Acheta domesticus.
- Gonzalez, Obed. A comparison of the cyst wall of three sarcocystis species: sarcocystis cuniculi, sarcocystis muris, and sarcocystis miescheriana by transmission and scanning electron microscopy.
- Standish, Timothy G. Comparative shell dynamics in terebratalia transversa and laquesus californicus (brachiopoda) and chlamys hastata (bivalvia).
- Schoun, Daniel Lee. Age-related changes in the phonotactic selectivity of female crickets (Acheta domesticus) L.
- Chiba, Akira. Responses and morphology of brain acostic interneurons of female house cricket Acheta domesticus L.
- Rhodes, Michael A. Three acoustic interneurons in the prothoracic ganglion of Acheta domesticus L.
- Riess, Anita Henderson. A floristic study of the Robinson Preserve, Chikaming Township, Berrien County, Michigan.
- Adeyeye, Adeola Jacob. Regeneration of thallus disks of conocephalum conicum (L.) wiggers, as influenced by mineral nutrients, gravity and light.
- Burton, Robert Edwin. Intrusion rates on breeding territories and pre-entry intruder-resident interaction of (Larus glaucescens).
- Manoonkitiwongsa, Panya. The regulation of fatty acid biosynthesis and acetyl coenzyme a carboxylase activities by physical exercise.
- Dipietrantonio, Peter J. Infection incidence from central venous catheterization at Darnall Army Community Hospital, Fort Hood, Texas
- Prescod, Laura M. Duration of immunity in the mouse host (Mus musculus) and its influence on oocyst sporulation rates of Eimeria papillate.
- Stuyvesant, Ruth Louise. A biosystematic study of the Boehmeria cylindrica (Urticaceae) complex.
- Archer, Len M. Immune response in the mouse host (Mus musculus) to Eimerie papillata (Protozoa, Apicomplex A. Coccidia).
- Atkins, Gordon J. Changes in phonotaxis by the female cricket Acheta domesticus L. after killing identified acoustic interneurons.
- Greko D.C., Philip J. Comparative analyses of eggshell morphology of some species from the seabird family Alcidae.
- Idowu, Samuel Taiwo. The effect of nutritional deficiency of regeneration and polarity of disks from the thallus of Conocephalum conicum (L.) wiggers.
- Rutebuka, Obed B. A scanning electron microscope study of the effects of praziquantel, fenbendazole, and niclosamid on Hymenolepis diminuta in vitro.
- Cooper, Stanley Wayne. The influences of environment and predators on the reproductive success of a small colony of glaucous-winged gulls (Larus glaucescens).
- Joseph, Jerome M.S. A scanning electron microscope study of the developmental stages of Hymenolepis diminuta (Cestoidea).
- Koudele, Katherine A. Factors effecting phonotaxic and sexual responsiveness in female Acheta domesticus L.
- Ligman, Scott H. Methods for evaluating the role of individual acoustic interneurons in the phonotactic response of Acheta domesticus L.
- Schwab III, Ernest Roe. The role of the intruder and nest density during territorial defense by Larus glaucescens.
- Shibley, Phillip. A scanning electron microscope study of the development stages of Eimeria ferissi (protozoa, apicomplexa, coccidia) and their effects on tissue in the mouse host.
- Snyder, Keith Alan. Individual differences in territorial defense by glaucous-winged gulls and their role in chick survival.
- Voigt, Diane Olive. Identification of some major components of essential oils found in four pelargonium taxa and their relationship to chemotaxonomy.
- West, Michael D. Conodont paleontology of the Lasalle Limestone Bond Formation (Pennsylvanian, Missourian) Livingston County, Illinois.
- Banks, John C. A comparative breeding study of the Pigeon Guillemot (Cepphus columba) on Kanem Point, Protection Island, Washington.
- Harvey, Donald Leroy. Comparative ultrastruture of the immature stages of four species of toxorhynchites (Diptera: Culicidae).
- DeHaan, C. H. An intracellular evaluation of an acoustic neuron in Acheta Domesticus (Gryllidae).
- Martin, Paul K. The use and evaluation of the Bortleson Method for the classification of nine lakes in southwestern Michigan state.
- Petr, Daniel. Comparative morphology of limenitis arthemis, limenitis archippus, and danaus plexippus (Lepidoptera).
- Salisbury, Ina Jeanne. Apical meristem culturing of EMAL 9 and EMAL 26 apple rootstocks.
- Schultz, Debbie J. Pollination ecology of wild ginger, Asarum Canadense L. (Aristolochiaceae).
- Adetumbi, Moses A. The relationship between various water quality parameters and chlorohyll in ten lakes of southwestern Michigan.
- Jensen, Karren Kieler. The inhibitory effect of thioglycerol upon Escherichia coli.
- Marira, Douglas James. A study of soil arthropod populations in one grassland and two forest ecosystems in Berrien Springs, Michigan.
- Martin, Felicidad A. Reconstruction of an Acer saccharinum L. floodplain forest on the St. Joseph river Berrien Springs, Michigan.
- Medley, Max E. Some aspects of the life history of Triphora trianthophora (SW.) Rydb. (Three Birds Orchid) with special reference to its pollination.
- Sladek, Wayne A. The effects of chlorinated cooling water on in situ total coliform, fecal coliform, and fecal streptococcus bacteria in the St. Joseph River at the Twin Branch Power Plant, Mishawaka, Indiana.
- Bigford, Victor L. Depositional ecology of the Eden Shale interpreted from studies of an exposure in Carroll County, Kentucky.
- Krause, David. Studies on the membrane protein synthesis of an Escherichia coli auxotroph during glycerol starvation.
- Miller, Ishmael T. The use and evaluation of the Bortleson Method for the classification of eight lakes in northwestern Washington state.
- Smith, Robert T. Effects of single high and low versus multiple high and low immunizing doses, and duration of immunity in Mus musculus to Eimeria ferrisi.
- Blagburn, Bryon L. Clinical and histological observations of actively induced resistance to Eimeria ferrisi Levine and Ivens, 1965 (Protozoa: Eimeriidae) in the mouse (musculus).
- Satchell, Loretta. A study of the setting of upright trees in the coal measures of Nova Scotia.
- Amlaner Jr, Charles Joseph. A stochastic analysis of aggressive communication exhibited by Larus glaucescens to a remote controlled locomotory model during territorial defense.
- Kidwell, Marche H. Distribution of avifauna about Reddish Knob, Virginia-West Virginia.
- Rule, Charles T. A winter to summer limnological survey of Love Creek.
- Campbell, Michael Dale. The oscillatory control of respiration and calling song in the house cricket (Acheta domesticus).
- Hayward, James L. Orientation and sequences of behavior during aggressive communication by Larus glaucescens.
- Jaeger, Norbert. The dynamics of diatom populations in two contrasting river in southwestern Michigan.
- Ombiga, John D. The effects of chlorinated wastewater effluent on total coliform, fecal coliform, and fecal streptococcus bacteria in the St. Joseph River, Berrien County, Michigan.
- Scarlett, Kermith A. A comparison of macroinvertebrate populations on the St. Joseph and Paw Paw Rivers in southwestern Michigan.
- Seleske, Kenneth L. The use of macroinvertebrates in the St. Joseph River to assess water quality in Benton Harbor - St. Joseph, Michigan.
- Smith, Gordon Roy. Pollination ecology of Habenaria ciliaris and H. blephariglottis (Orchidaceae).
- Bacchus, Alban N. Studies on the membrane metabolism of amino acid starved Escherichia coli.
- Trepper, Peter J. Response characteristics of an auditory interneuron found in Acheta domesticus.
- Trott, Dave. The legume-Rhizobium relationship.
- Villegas, Consuelo R. Effect of prehumidification and other factors on pollen growth.
- Wohlers, David Wayne. Synaptic acoustical responses related to oscillatory activity in the prothoracic ganglion of Acheta domesticus.
- Wuchenich, John Duane. Synaptic coding of the temporal parameters of patterned acoustic stimuli by Acheta domesticus.
- Gillett, W. Humphrey. The effect of model gull orientation and movement of the responses of a glaucous-winged gull to the model.
- Hunt, Gabriel E. A comparison of the cytoplasmic membrane proteins of Escherichia coli having a relaxed or stringent control of RNA synthesis.
- Streidl, Harold Roger. Fall hawk migration and cold front passage at Hawk Mountain Sanctuary.
- Carter, John W. An overstory floristic analysis and mapping study in the Robinson Preserve.
- Galusha Jr., Joseph G. An experimental analysis of the effect of bill angle and vertical head movement on aggressive attack responses by the glaucous-winged gull (Larus glaucescens).
- Ekkens, David B. Treehoppers of Neguachi River, Peru.
- Altman, Linda. A histological study of the tongue of the house sparrow (Passer domesticus).
- Criss, John Rowan. Photo-electric measurement of the phototactic phenomenon in Euglena.
- Girdharry, Compton Sharma. Karyotypes of seven species of birds belonging to orders passeriformes and columbriformes.
- Inabnit, Ralph. Eimeria procyonis sp.n., Eimeria nuttalli Yakimoff & Matikaschwili, 1932, & an Isospora sp. (Protozoa:Eimeriidae) from the American Raccoon (Procyon Lotor) in Southwestern Michigan.
- Christensen, John William. Amino acid methodology. Sample preparation for free amino acid analyses of plant material and single column experiments.
- Grandison, David. A cytological investigation of spermatogenesis in Mormoniella vitripennis.
- Haeger, Gayle Mignon. The influence of photoperiod in jimson weed and nutrition in bean on free amino acid levels.
- Lugenbeal, Marilyn Patchin. Evidences bearing on the time involved in the deposition of the fossil forests of the Specimen Creek area, Yellowstone National Park, Montana.
- Ritland, Juanita Hansen. Fossil forests of the Specimen Creek area Yellowstone National Park, Montana.
- Plank, Irvin Edward. The pars distalis.
- Peck, George Kenneth. Photoperiodic responses of plants.
- Bailey, Harold, L. A report of research work done in the field of syphilis.
- Beehler, Jr., Ernest William. The effects on ultra-violet radiation on germinating seeds.
- Rittenhouse Jr., Sidney N. A survey of endocrinology.
- Gilbertson, Edith Margaretta. Determination of the effect of aluminum salts upon the growth of albino rats.
- Magan, Jr., Wellesley P. A study in library research and experimental collaboration on the drug Colchicine.
- Hartman, Warren. Studies in bacteriology of water.