Medical Laboratory Sciences—msmls
The Department of Medical Laboratory Sciences offers a graduate program leading to the Master of Science in Medical Laboratory Sciences (MSMLS). Our MSMLS degree is a professional degree designed to meet the needs of the Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) in an increasingly complex healthcare environment.
With a master’s level degree, you will be equipped to become a leader in healthcare. Depending on the area of specialization, graduates of the MSMLS Program are qualified for several leadership positions in the MLS field. Graduates of the Program have become laboratory managers or supervisors, educators, laboratory information systems directors, healthcare administrators, or researchers.
- Laboratory Sciences
- Laboratory Leadership and Administration
- Laboratory Mission and Development
This 36-credit program can typically be completed in two years.
For Applicants with U.S. Professional Certification
- Fall (begins August): July 15
- Spring (begins January): November 15
- Summer Session 1 (May - June): March 15
- Summer Session 2 (June - July): April 15
- Summer Session 3 (July - August): May 15
For Applicants without U.S. Professional Certification
- January 31 for all semesters
Students who apply after the deadline will incur an additional late application fee.
- Baccalaureate degree: A four-year degree from an accredited United States institution, or its equivalent from an institution outside the U.S.
- Undergraduate GPA: Minimum 3.00. The entire student profile is considered during the admissions process; students who do not meet the minimum GPA requirements may also apply.
- English proficiency: Students whose language of education is not English must submit a minimum TOEFL or MELAB score of 80. An admission decision cannot be made without fulfilling the English proficiency requirement.
- Certification/Licensure: Applicants must hold United States professional certification and/or licensure in medical laboratory science acceptable to the admissions committee. Certification may be either general or in one of the recognized areas of specialization. Acceptable certification is typically defined as that offered by the ASCP (American Society for Clinical Pathology) Board of Certification.
- Official transcripts: From institutions where all post-secondary coursework was taken. Download Transcript Request PDF
- Recommendations: Two recommendations are required from professionals—such as advisors, major professors, and employers—excluding relatives. You are asked to provide names and email addresses on the online application, and then recommenders will receive an email with a direct link to the form.
- Resume or professional history: Information about your employment, research, or special projects.
- Statement of Purpose: A 500-word essay explaining your objectives in seeking a graduate degree at Andrews University. Include a description of your personal, professional, and academic goals; your philosophical perspective; and what you hope to accomplish professionally in ten years following the completion of your degree.
Additional requirements for international students
- English proficiency: Students whose language of instruction is not English must demonstrate English proficiency by meeting the minimum scores.
- Transcripts: Students must submit transcripts through the credential evaluation agency WES—World Education Services. You must request the WES International Credential Advantage Package (WES ICAP) which includes verified copies of official transcripts.
I-20 form: International students must obtain an I-20 form before applying for a visa. The requirements for obtaining an I-20 form are:
- Academic acceptance
- Payment of $3,000 advance deposit (not required for Mexico and Canada, $2000 for Summer 2013)
- Submit the Estimated Budget Sheet showing evidence of financial resources for one academic year
- A full semester payment in advance is required for citizens of Kenya and Ethiopia
The Office of Graduate Enrollment Management reserves the right to request additional documents at its own discretion.
To learn more about tuition costs and scholarship opportunities please visit our financial section.
Have questions? We have answers. Just email email@example.com, call us at 269-471-6013, or Skype AndrewsGraduateSchool.