What is Graphic Design?
Take a look around you right now. Chances are your eyes will fall on something that has been created by a graphic designer. Perhaps your favorite magazine is sitting near by. The look and feel of the entire magazine, from the eye-catching cover to the unique spreads of the featured articles have been created by a designer. Those clever and cool ads throughout were also created by a designer. The logos for the companies and packaging for the products featured in those ads were also created by designers. You get the idea. Graphic design is everywhere! Any form of visual communication, from the posters on your wall to the interactive websites and apps you look at every day, graphic designers use their creative skills to sculpt the visual landscape of this information-driven age.
What Will I Study?
What can I do with a Graphic Design Degree?
There are many job opportunities for a graphic designers:
- Designer for a Magazine or Newspaper
- Creative at an Ad Agency
- In-House Designer for corporations big and small
- Package Designer
- Member of the creative team at a graphic design firm
- Logo and Corporate Identity Specialist
- Freelance Designer
- Communications coordinator/creator for a non-profit organization
- Designer of greeting cards and hand-made invitations for a boutique paper company
- Designing Interactive Apps and Motion Graphics
- Web Designer for the Federal Government
- Motocross Graphics and Promotion creation
The list could go on and on. By they way, all of the descriptions above are actual jobs attained by some of our graduates!
How Can I Serve God?
Recently two of our students spent a year in Thailand using their design skills to help promote funding for an orphanage. In fact, nearly every year at least one design student takes a year to work as a student missionary! Our church desperately needs designers and creatives who are skilled in visual communication. Our program will prepare you for just such a work. Many of our graduates go on to work for the church, or for non-profit organizations, using their talents to further the spread of the gospel to every corner of the Earth.
Why Andrews University?
- Faith: Our design faculty have a passion for Christ and believe that God is the source of all creativity. Whether you hope to work for the church or in the public sector, we want to make sure that your design skills are tempered with Christian values and ethics.
- Experience: All of our design faculty are coming to the classroom directly from the industry and are still practicing graphic designers. We know what is expected by both clients and employers and bring that knowledge to the classroom.
- Opportunities: Real-World projects are brought into the classroom, where students have the opportunity to interact with clients on actual projects. In fact, if a client chooses your project, not only will you have a great portfolio piece and a story for future job interviews, you may actually get paid to do your homework!
- Collaboration: In our upper division classes, students have multiple opportunities to art direct photo shoots with students from our photography program. This sort of cross-program interaction is hard to find even at large art schools.
Will I Get a Job?
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of graphic designers is expected to rise 13% between 2010 and 2020. Our experienced professors know what employers are looking for and will help you craft a portfolio that will greatly increase your chances of getting the job you want. Here is what one of our recent graduates has to say:
The graphic design program at Andrews is hard to beat anywhere, it covers every form and facet of the field. If you take advantage of the program you’ll have all the tools and the right mindset to pursue and succeed in a graphic design career.