Young Adult and Youth Ministry
The MA in Youth and Young Adult Ministry provides study in
theology, church history, world mission, and the specialized field
of youth and young adult ministry. The graduate of the MA in
Youth and Young Adult Ministry is competent to:
Develop, direct, and evaluate youth ministry programs in the
local church and other targeted areas with both professional
and theological competency.
Recruit, nurture, and disciple youth in Christian service and
- Recruit, nurture, and disciple adult youth leaders.
Reflect constructively and theologically upon the content and
process of youth ministry.
Serve in a variety of vocations, such as youth pastor, dormitory
dean, local church youth leader, conference youth director,
university/college/academy chaplain, and guidance counselor.
- The Master of Divinity program also has an emphasis in Youth and Young Adult Ministry
Dual Degree in Youth and Young Adult Ministry & Social Work
The MA: Youth and Young Adult Ministry/Masters in Social Work Dual Degree Program is a collaborative between the Department of Discipleship & Religious Education in the Seminary and the Department of Social Work in the Arts & Sciences to prepare students for ministry to youth/young adults and social work. The objectives of this program are to:
- Equip students for various forms of youth ministry in which skills in social work and youth ministry are needed.
- Enable students to integrate both youth ministry and social work for knowledge, values and skills inot a multifaceted approach to Christian service, thereby enhancing their usefullness as instruments of the Holy Spirit.
- The program is designed to give students both Masters degrees within three years.
- Both degrees are conferred by Andrews University. The program will require students to take courses in summer sessions.
The MA: Religious Education is an interdisciplinary academic program that prepares both professional and lay pastor/teachers for leadership roles in settings where religious, moral, and Biblical spiritual nurture and growth are primary concerns. The MA: Religious Education will equip students for success in various areas of emphasis including:
Doctor of Philosophy in Religious Education
The PhD in Religious Education prepares men and women to be scholars, teachers and researchers in specialized teaching and discipling ministries of the Church. All candidates further develop the core competencies of a religious educator and select an area of specialization for intense study and research using research methodologies of the social sciences. Students may design an individualized course of study if three conditions are met:
- Academic area must be appropriate to Religious Education.
Graduate courses on the topic must be available at Andrews
Andrews University faculty with expertise in the topic must
be available for advising.