Luis G. Cruz-OrtegaTitle: Staff Counselor
Prevention & Wellness Coordinator
Office Location: Bell Hall 123
Phone: (269) 471-3470
PhD, Counseling Psychology
APA-Accredited Doctoral Internship in Professional Psychology
The Ohio State University, Counseling & Consultation Service
University of Phoenix, Puerto Rico Campus
Universidad Adventista de las Antillas
Luis has worked with diverse populations presenting a wide range of developmental and clinical concerns, but has a special interest in working with young and middle-aged adults. He completed his doctoral practicum and internship at university counseling centers (Andrews University, Counseling and Testing Center; The Ohio State University, Counseling and Consultation Service) and served as a senior staff counselor and clinical supervisor at the University of Central Florida Counseling and Psychological Services. Luis has also worked in private practice in Michigan and Florida.
His approach to counseling is an integration of psychodynamic, humanistic, and transpersonal therapies. These psychological models emphasize depth in personal life and relationships, the construction of meaning and purpose in life, and the search for transcendence, wholeness, and transformation. He also utilizes mindfulness-based stress reduction strategies to assist individuals to improve their coping skills and reduce distress.
Luis was born and raised in Puerto Rico and is fluent in English and Spanish.
Current Research or Professional Activities:
Luis is interested in the professional areas of university counseling services, training and supervision, cultural diversity, and the psychology of religion. He provides clinical supervision to mental health counseling interns and coordinates the Prevention & Wellness program at the Counseling & Testing Center.
- American Counseling Association
- Association for Counselor Education and Supervision
- Association for Spiritual, Ethical, and Religious Values in Counseling
- Association for University and College Counseling Center Outreach
- Michigan Counseling Association
- Michigan Association for Counselor Education and Supervision
- Michigan College Counseling Association
Licenses and Certifications:
- Licensed Professional Counselor: State of Michigan
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor / Qualified Supervisor for Mental Health Counselors: State of Florida
- Supervising Professional Clinical Counselor: State of Ohio
- National Certified Counselor: National Board of Certified Counselors
- Approved Clinical Supervisor: Center for Credentialing & Education
Dissertation: "The role of religious orientation and ethnic identity on religious coping among bereaved individuals"