John O. Waller Lectureship on the Arts
The John O. Waller Lectureship on the Arts is sponsored by the English Department in honor of late professor John O. Waller.
Dr. Waller, a very notable and influential Adventist English professor, was a member of the Department of English from 1960 to 1987 and chair from 1963 to 1979.
Dr. Waller was a specialist in the Victorian period and his book, A Circle of Friends: The Tennysons and the Lushingtons of Park House, was published by Ohio State University Press in 1986.
Previous John O. Waller Lectureship presenters include:
- 2008 William S. Peterson, University of Maryland, "William Morris's Pocket Cathedral: The Kelmscott Press Chaucer"
- 2009 Roger Jerome, Charles Dickens Impersonator, "An Audience With Boz"
- 2010 Donette Francis, Binghamton University SUNY, "What's Left to Imagine: Writing Female Citizenship in the Caribbean Antiromance"
- 2011 Dave Smith, Southern Adventist University, "Henry Thoreau: A Sauntering Life"
- 2012 Peter Holland, Notre Dame University, "Haunting Shakespeare or King Lear Meets Alice"
- 2013 Regina Schwartz, Northwestern University, "The Mass and the Theater: Othello and Sacrifice"
- 2014 Nancy Johnson, Western Washington University [talk to be delivered in October 2014]
Contact person: Scott Moncrieff, firstname.lastname@example.org
Photo: Regina Schwartz presents at the 2013 lectureship