After you are accepted
New interns will be contacted shortly after acceptance with instructions and information about the upcoming class. The following items will be required of all incoming interns:
- An original verification statement showing completion of a ACEND accredited DP program along with a final transcript from your undergraduate institution is required before the internship rotations begin. Failure to produce these documents may result in a delay in the start of the internship program.
- Immunizations. Interns must provide proof of current immunizations as required by the assigned site.
- Medical insurance. Interns must provide proof of medical insurance coverage. Student insurance coverage can be purchased through AU. Interested students should contact Student Insurance by email at firstname.lastname@example.org on the office of Human Resources for more information. Temporary insurance policies are available. See the following website for information. https://www.temporaryinsurance.com/stm/Zip/. Note: This information is provided as a service and is not meant as an endorsement of any companies mentioned here.
- Auto insurance. Interns must provide proof of current auto insurance. Interns must provide their own transportation throughout the internship and be prepared to travel up to 30 miles to assigned sites.
- Liability Insurance. The University provides all interns wiht insurance for professional liability, accident, disability, health and life.
- Background checks. Some sites require criminal background checks. Failure of a background check will result in immediate dismissal from the program.
- Drug Screening. Some sites require drug screening. Failure of a drug screen will result in immediate dismissal from the program.
- Lab coats and professional attire. All interns must provide their own lab coats and will be required to dress in professional attire at all assigned sites.
- Computer access. Interns are required to have daily access to a personal computer and to have an active email account - no exceptions.
In addition to the above items, interns are expected to have a solid working knowledge of medical terminology, exchange lists, nutrition assessment and MNT as well as working knowledge of Power point, Excel and Microsoft Word.
In order for the intern to be elegible for the financial aid, he/she needs to register for graduate credit. Those taking the IP for credit need to apply for the MPH in Nutrition and Wellness. The application to the MPH in Nutrition and Wellness is a separate process.
Scholarships may be available through the state dietetic associations and/or the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. It may be possible for students to obatin loan deferment for student loans while enrolled in the program.
Because this program can be challenging, housing arrangements should be made prior to starting. The following links sample several apartment locator companies:
Other posibilities include getting in touch with current and former interns to ask for rental information