?Much as it might like to, the church can no longer evade questions about homosexuality and same-sex marriage, for society is, with increasing stridency, forcing Christians to confront them.?
?From the Preface, by Nicholas Miller
Some religious thought leaders, taking their cue from popular culture and current politics, are trying to make a case for biblical support of the practice of homosexuality and same-sex marriage. Their efforts create serious confusion while challenging the church?s ability to sensitively address one of the most explosive spiritual and public policy issues of our time.
In this volume, Christian scholars offer a deep resource of material?biblical, clinical, and legal?to untangle the complex web of questions surrounding this contested topic. The authors first provide a frank and rigorous explication of the Bible?s clear teaching. Then they lay out the implications for counseling and for the religious liberty of the church and its members. And through it all, they make an impassioned call for love and care for those who are being misled into a walk down a dangerous path. The book includes moving testimonies from several Christians who have lived and struggled with homosexuality in their personal lives and can praise God for empowering them to live for Him.
In the threatening environment facing the church and society today, every Christian administrator, attorney, teacher, counselor, pastor, and congregational leader should read this book.
Click here to read a sample from this book.
Permission Statements for Bible Translations
Section 1: Theological Issues
- Homosexuality in the Old Testament by Richard M. Davidson
- The Scriptural Case for a Male-Female Prerequisite for Sexual Relations: A Critique of the Arguments of Two Adventist Scholars by Robert A. J. Gagnon
- Some Attempted Alternatives to Timeless Biblical Condemnation of Homosexual Acts by Roy E. Gane
- Return to Innocence by Miroslav M. Ki?
- Homosexuality and the Bible: What Is at Stake in the Current Debate by Richard M. Davidson
Section 2: Legal Issues
- Should Adventists Care About Protecting Traditional Marriage? by Nicholas P. Miller
- Wake Up and Smell the Equality: Same-Sex Marriage and Religious Liberty by Alan J. Reinach
- Northern Exposure: How the Church Is Faring under Canada?s Same-Sex Marriage Regimen by Gerald Chipeur
- Freedom and Marriage by Scot Zentner
- Same-Sex Marriage and the Declaration of Independence by Gary V. Wood
Section 3: Counseling Issues
- The Pastoral Applications of a Three-Tier Distinction Between Same-Sex Attraction, a Homosexual Orientation, and a Gay Identity by Mark A. Yarhouse
- Ex-Gays? An Extended Longitudinal Study of Attempted Religiously Mediated Change in Sexual Orientation by Stanton L. Jones and Mark A. Yarhouse
- The Psychological and Spiritual Care of a Gay Man Who Chose Celibacy: A Case Study by Carlos Fayard
- Sexual Orientation and Skin Color: Deconstructing Key Assumptions in the Debates about Gay Marriage and the Church by Stanton L. Jones and Mark A. Yarhouse
- Good News for Adventists Attracted to Their Own Sex by Inge Anderson
Section 4: Testimonies
- Homosexuals Are God?s Children, Too! by Ron Woolsey
- Into His Marvelous Light by Lisa Santos
- ?Born that Way? and Redeemed by Love by Winston King
- Bondage to Freedom: From My Plan B to God?s Plan A by Jonathan Smith
- By Beholding His Love by Virna Santos
- To Know His Love by Wayne Blakely
About the Authors