When someone says anime, they are usually referring to the Japanese animation style. It is a unique style that has branched off into many forms.
Unlike many American cartoons, a lot of anime has a much darker feel to it. I'm not saying that it is evil, though there exist some series that would definitely fall into that category. The stories can range anywhere from a silly children's tale, to war, to deep stories about love and honor, and everything in between. Anime only has one limitation - the imagination.
Many people know that I like anime. My interests vary as to what types of anime I like, but generally, it is not very hard to find a series that I will enjoy. What I most enjoy about it is that fact that the stories are rarely simple. Often times I will begin watching a series, and almost be turned off by the seeming simplicity of the story. I sit there and think that I can guess what is going to happen, and how it is going to end. However, when I do choose to keep watching, I am rarely disappointed. I find that there is another story developing beneath the surface that I never expected. It traps me and keeps me wondering what is going on. It makes me think. That is something hard to find in modern American animation.
One of my favorite series at the moment is called Bleach. It is about a 15 year old boy, Kurosaki Ichigo, who, throughout his life has been able to see ghosts. His life is turned upside down when he meets Kuchiki Rukia, a Shinigami, or Death God. She is seriously injured while trying to save his life, and in order to save her, Ichigo must take her powers and defeat the enemy.
While the story mostly revolves around action and fighting, if you pay attention, you can catch the meaning behind it. It seems very simple at first. She saves him, so he saves her, and they go on with their lives. However, a number of episodes into the series is when the story really develops. I won't tell the details so as not to ruin it, but you begin to see the deep sense of honor that Ichigo has, and the show helps you understand that the power of a strong will can overcome almost any foe.
For anyone interested in anime, there are literally thousands of shows out there to see. I do have some favorites that I would recommend to those interested in taking a look. I will provide links to a website with information on each show, and many others.
- Bleach[Ongoing] - Excellent story and awesome action.
- Naruto[Ongoing] - A ninja anime. Very well done and great storyline
- Dragonball Z - Not the best, but if you like fighting, then this show is full of it. Beware, though, as single fights can last an entire season
- Vision of Escaflowne - Another war story, but with a cool twist about the idea of fate and destiny
- Neon Genesis Evangelion - Beware. This one can be a little much if you are not accustomed to the darker side of anime. You have been warned
- RahXephon - Definitely a confusing one. Good to help keep the mind sharp and thinking
- Full Metal Alchemist - Awesome show. War, alchemy, brotherhood. All mixed together very well to make an incredible story
- Full Metal Panic - If you like war stories, then you'll probably like this one
- Angelic Layer - Very cute story
- Chobits - Quite unusual, but interesting story anyway. I listed it because this is the first series I ever watched and it is what got me interested
Anime is not for everyone. It took me a while to get used to it and acquire a taste for it. If you don't like it, then that's ok. I still urge you to try it out. You may find that you really enjoy it. Don't overdo it, though. It can get addicting pretty easily. It is often hard to make myself focus on work and school rather than watching the latest series. It can be done, though. Good luck!!