PUBLIC HEALTH, NUTRITION & WELLNESS - Director, Fitness and Exercise Science (FES) Program and Assistant/Associate Professor, BS Exercise Science
Faculty Full-Time (75-100%)
The Fitness and Exercise Science (FES) Director will be responsible for providing proactive leadership and direction for the FES program; implementing and evaluating the program with an emphasis on measuring outcomes using data and best practices; regularly prioritizing pragmatic objectives and activities; teaching FES courses as assigned. The FES Director will also be a Assistant/Associate Professor within the Andrews University Department of Public Health, Nutrition, and Wellness (PHNW), School of Health Professions (SHP).
The FES Program Director/ BS Exercise Science Faculty Member should be a holder of one of the following degrees from an accredited school/program: a Doctoral Degree in Exercise Physiology, Exercise Science, Kinesiology, or related degree. Holders of Master's Degree with a strong CV will be considered. Clinical and/or Public Health background a benefit. Applicant must have excellent organizational and leadership skills.
Duties and responsibilities
Work duties will include, but are not limited to:
PROGRAM DIRECTION/MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Effectively directs programmatic activities to ensure the FES program achieves its accreditation and university standards
- Leader for FES program evaluation for academic content, design & recruitment
- Create, revise and update curriculum for program improvement to enhance student learning.
- Administers program/curriculum accreditation compliance standards of the Committee on Accreditation for the Exercise Sciences (CoAES). http://www.coaes.org/
- Communicates with CoAES regarding program requirements, maintenance evaluation, and major program changes
- Closely monitor program assessment, including data collection, data analysis, and evaluation.
- Communicates regularly with PHNW Department Chair (Supervisor) regarding programmatic updates, initiatives and orientations.
- Monitors national initiatives in the field of exercise science/fitness as well as programmatic innovations and best practices.
- Collaborates with SHP Dean, Department Chair, and FES faculty to assess needs and development of FES program
- Works collaboratively across local, regional and/or national sectors with diverse, strong, and influential partners to achieve common goal
- FES Director will teach selected courses within the FES Program as assigned by the Department Chair and/or FES Director, based on needs and varying course load.
- Student Advising and mentoring
- Manages the student application process and appointment phase. Interview incoming Exercise Science students for entry into the program
- Meet with Juniors and Seniors for yearly evaluations
- Attends and makes contributions to required Departmental and FES program meetings. Attends university and SHP meetings as assigned.
- Participates in collaborative research. Develops manuscripts for publication in peer reviewed journals. Attends & submits abstracts to professional conferences.
- Supports and encourages student scholarship.
- Seeks and develops funding relationships to write and submit grant proposals
- Supports PHNW Departments initiatives
- Monitors the university’s academic calendar
- Responsible for supervising student workers and interns
- Monitor Andrews University website - update program and internship information.
- Maintains communication with internship sites to promote good working relationships.
The FES Program Director/ BS Exercise Science Faculty Member should be a holder of one of the following degrees from an accredited school/program: a Doctoral Degree in Exercise Physiology, Exercise Science, Kinesiology, or related degree. Holders of Master's Degree with a strong CV will be considered. Clinical and/or Public Health background a benefit. Applicant must have excellent organizational and leadership skills. Applicant will be an active member of the faculty of Andrews University Department of Public Health, Nutrition, and Wellness (PHNW), School of Health Professions (SHP).
The FES Program Director/ Faculty will be forward-thinking, a proactive leader with excellent analytical, interpersonal, organizational, and writing skills; willing to be develop relationships throughout the field of exercise science/fitness and across other sectors; strong public speaking and presentation skills; have discretion, and sound judgement; team orientated and collaborative. In addition, the FES Director should encourage grant writing, fundraising, recruitment, and grasp of community capacity building with a knowledge/understanding of racial equality related to determinants of health.
Proficient with common university software packages such as Windows, and Microsoft Office
Must be comfortable interacting with students and faculty within a culturally diverse university environment.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, and move about from office to office; type, write, carry; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties and responsibilities of this job
Office, Classes and Laboratory Spaces.