SODE-STUDENT SERVICES - Distance Degree Academic Advisor
The Academic Coach/Advisor will contribute to the Andrews University mission through proactive and holistic academic support of mature, non-traditional students completing undergraduate programs online.
To be effective, the successful candidate will be proficient in teaching and counseling, enjoy being a wise student advocate and caring strengths-based counselor, cross-trained to work collaboratively with enrollment and financial advisors to best design and help students navigate complex study paths to degree completion. Strong communication skills, attention to detail, multilingual, committed to Christian discipleship with a growth mindset, available to flexibly work non-traditional hours using current technology competently, are all core traits.
Duties and responsibilities
- Advise and coach Andrews and Consortium guest and distance degree students.
- Keep degree student advising records and communication templates updated.
- Advocate for advisees, work with campus departments to improve policies and procedures to best serve non-traditional students.
- Reflect the Andrews mission of caring and quality Christian education in professional verbal and written communication with all persons.
- Assist in keeping all communication aligned and clear for distance students, including bulletin, webpages, videos, email templates, orientation course and marketing of distance programs.
- Teach UGDE 101 Maximizing your Andrews Experience, facilitating student orientation and continued community support throughout their online journey with Andrews.
- Engage in continuing education in effective distance education, academic coaching, advising, and career counseling.
- Assist with online proctoring of exams and research to inform decisions and strategic planning for continuous improvement in online student services.
- Able to serve on a variety of committees as needed
Supervision of student workers assisting with student services may be required.
- Strong customer service skills including a friendly, can-do attitude and follow-through in problem solving
- Able to multi-task and work as a reliable team member in order to meet tight deadlines
- Outstanding skills in organizing information, learning new technology quickly, with great attention to every detail
- Committed to arriving on time, and completing tasks on schedule
- Evidence of ability to engage and motivate non-traditional college students, developing mentoring relationships with diverse students on any continent
- Excellent spoken and written English skills are essential, Spanish or other world language proficiency preferable.
Must possess excellent skills in interpersonal communication, professional oral and written English, planning and organization, Microsoft Office software and internet applications. A strong sense of time management is essential.
Able to read and interpret documents such as student handbooks, academic bulletins, software help manuals, and a wide range of numeric and alpha data sources. Able to write routine reports as well as craft a variety of communications for various audiences. Articulate and pleasant oral communication in clearly understandable English. Spanish or other additional language proficiency in both oral and written communication is preferred.
Able to add, subtract, multiply, and divide all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Able to compute rate, ratio, and percentage and to draw and interpret bar graphs. Able to read and interpret financial statements, and assist in student service data analysis and reporting.
Able to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Able to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Must possess excellent skills in interpersonal multicultural communication, professional oral and written English, planning and organization, Microsoft Office software and internet applications. A strong sense of time management is essential. Proficiency in Spanish as well as English is preferable.
A successful candidate must meet the following physical demands to perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required:
- to sit and talk / listen
- to regularly stand and walk
When working in the SDEIP student service center, the noise level is usually moderate, with multiple stimuli requiring multitasking in a calm, professional way. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. In order to serve students around the world, flexibility in working hours is expected, with the option to work some of the hours from home. If this option is chosen, the home work space must include reliable and high speed internet, with distraction-free space for video conferencing.