DINING SERVICES - Lead Cook - PM
Hourly Full-time (35-40)
Organize and facilitate the production lunch and supper meals served in the Terrace Café. Organize and facilitate the production of special event meals that occur during scheduled hours or when other arrangements are made. Support the Executive Chef ensuring high quality food, food safety, personnel safety, sanitation, and clear communication with the serving staff.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Duties and responsibilities
- Supervise cooking staff and give direction to production crew for each meal period.
- Communicate and orchestrate the functions of the kitchen, sanitation, and servers to ensure the highest quality experience.
- Understand and effect positive results in production, and portioning of food.
- Work with the highest level of efficiency and drive the team around you to perform on a high level of productivity.
- Communicate clearly with the Front of the House staff concerning meal ingredients and proper portioning.
- Operate 10-key calculators, typewriters, and copy machines to perform calculations and produce documents.
- Use email to communicate internally and externally.
- Contribute to the success of the department and be willing to work alongside other programs to ensure success.
- Do other work as requested by supervisor.
- Cooperate with supervisor in adjusting job duties as circumstances require.
Directly supervises kitchen staff in the absence of the Executive Chef. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
A degree in the field of Business; and at least two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Computer literacy skills are required.
Must be able to read, write and speak English fluently. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively to customers or employees of organization.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, and percentages. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry. Comfort with accounting procedures.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Serve safe or equivalent certification.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is required to talk or hear. The employee is required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel and taste and smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Must be able to organize and maintain office atmosphere in midst of distractions. Must be willing to be on call in case of emergencies, e.g. computer shutdowns. Must be able to provide exceptional customer service and perform well under pressure.