Frequently Asked Questions

If you have any questions that aren't listed and can't find them anywhere on our website send us an email.

How and when do I apply to the Aviation Program?

You must fill out a completed Andrews University application, and upon acceptance you may apply to the Aviation Department. For more information about applying for admission to Andrews University, please call (269) 471-6343, or visit our website.

What do I need to qualify for the Aviation Program?

  • To qualify for admission into the Aviation Program, you must be accepted by Andrews University.
    • The average student is accepted on probationary status and reviewed at the end of each FAA licensure course before they are allowed progression in their degree program.
  • You must also be able to pass the FAA 1st class medical and have eyesight that is correctable to 20/20.
    • For information about FAA medicals please visit the resources tab scroll down to Federal Aviation Administration and click on find an Aviation Medical Examiner.
  • Additionally, we will need an original birth certificate and government photo ID or current passport upon acceptance into the program.
  • International students will need to complete the International Flight School Candidate form found in the resources tab under documents.

Do I need to have a car as an aviation student?

It is strongly recommended to have a car or another means of transportation. Our flight training facility and academic building are located at the Andrews Airpark (3898 Griggs Dr. Berrien Springs, Michigan 49104), approximately 1 mile from the main campus. Students also carpool with other peers in their classes.

Are Scholarships available?

No aviation related scholarships are available through the Department of Aviatoin at Andrews University, but many scholarships are given by Andrews University.
There are also plenty of aviation scholarships offered nationwide; simply Google: Aviation Scholarships and follow the steps to apply for them.

Should I visit the campus?

We highly recommend that you come visit us at any time. The university sponsors preview weekend events that you can participate in, or you can visit on your own time when it is convenient for you.
We encourage you to attend an aviation class or two during your visit. Tell the visit coordinator that you would like to do this.

Are your programs accredited?

Yes, we are fully accredited by the Higher learning Commission (HLC), the Accrediting Association of Seventh-day Adventist (AAA) and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). Part 141 flight trraining that leads to the Letter of Authorization that allows Airline Transport Pilots (ATP) to get their ATP with 1000 hours, rather than 1500. Saving you money and time.

What type of experience does your senior Faculty & Staff have?

Our senior Faculty & Staff have many years of aviation experience ranging from mission flying, corporate, airline environment, cargo, and military flying, and maintaining aircraft for most of their lives.

Are summer aviation classes available?

Yes, however they are reserved for students who need to make up flight time. No summer classes are available for incoming freshmen. All freshmen must start in the Aviation Program the Fall of their first year.

How long will it take to get my Private Pilot Certificate?

You should be able to complete your certificate by the end of your first semester. The more times a week that you are able to fly, the less total time it will take you. According to the FAA, you are required to have logged at least 40 hours of flight time for your certificate. NOTE: Students enrolled in flight training courses for university credit are expected to finish the flight training course they are registerd in by the end of that semester.

When do you usually become a Flight Instructor?

In order to become a Flight Instructor by the Fall of your Junior year you may have to stay one if not two summers. The summer gives us quality flying days and we don't want to pass them up. In order to qualify, the individual must sit before the Certified Flight Instructor Board. We consider individuals based on their spiritual walk, reputation, professional appearance, and maturity. Once you have been interviewed and hired as a flight instructor we will work with you to schedule your flights around your academic schedule. Flight Instructing allows you to begin building your hours so that you will have the required flight time to be hired upon graduation or shortly thereafter. Understand that the opportunity to teach is limited due to high competition among our students.

How long does it take to obtain my Airframe an Powerplant Ratings?

Our Aviation maintenance Technician School is set up so that to obtain both ratings it takes six semesters (three school years). You will obtain one rating each year. We alternate years, so that one year we offer the General, Airframe rating, and the following year we offer the Powerplant rating.

Is the Department of Aviation a member of the University Aviation Association?


Is the Department of Aviation a member of the International Association of Missionary Aviation?

Yes, IAMA hosted their annual conference in our facilities in May of 2013

What costs are associated with the Department?

You will pay for the rental of the airplane (aircraft insurance and fuel included) and the training you receive from your qualified flight instructor. As a University Student your Tuition covers the flight instructor fees. Otherwise there is a $47.50 fee per hour of flight instruction. For aircraft rental fees visit the Fees page, if you would like a word document for your records go to our resources page, documents, and download the fees and schedule.

Do I have to register as a student through the University to take flight training?

No, if you are a U.S. Citizen, you are not required to be an Andrews' student to earn your pilot ratings unless you are seeking a college degree. If you are a non-U.S. Citizen, as part of the FAA requirements, you will have to be formally accepted into a degree program at Andrews University and apply for permission to initiate flight training with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA).

What Job opportunities are available to me as a student?

The main campus of Andrews University has plenty of job opportunities for current students. If you are looking to work at the Department of Aviation, we have options like lab assistants, line service technicians, and office assistants.

What Job opportunities are available after I finish my training?

Many of our flight students earn their Flight Instructor's Certificate and work here at our airport and build up hours for job placement. Also we work closely with alumni of our department who own their own companies who hire our graduates for aerial photography. We have several former students who are working for airlines, either as pilots or technicians. Corporate and General Aviation companies are also growing currently. We inform students of job opportunities when we hear of openings.

How may I contact you?

Visit the Stay Connected page and stop on by for a visit.