George AgokiTitle: Professor of Engineering
Office Location: Haughey Hall 312/310
Phone: (269) 471-3421
PhD- Civil Engineering
University of Nairobi
MA – Planning
University of Nairobi
BS – Engineering
University of Nairobi
As an educator, George Agoki is known to have the ability to take difficult concepts and present them in a way that helps students grasp and understand them clearly. George has carried the MSA in Engineering as the primary professor in this graduate program as well as teaching undergraduate engineering courses. In addition to teaching, George is playing a leading role in ABET accreditation, sponsor of the Asante student club and president of the Bugema Alumni and Supporters Association in North America, participates in the Jail Chaplaincy Program of Berrien County.
Agoki holds membership in the American Society of Civil Engineers, American Society of Engineering Education, American Society of Engineering Management, and the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers. His research hinges on his ability to identify interesting research problems that would escape another eye. Current research interests include transportation safety, evacuated tube transport, innovation of harvest and post harvest technologies for African plants. He and his wife Elizabeth are raising four children-- Bianca, Morna, Bjorn and Chris.
Current Research or Professional Activities
1. Computer Tools to Assist the Application of Technology to Community Infrastructure Projects research with Don Degroot and Roy Villafane supported by Andrews University Faculty Research Grant. On-going since February 2007.
2. Research in ergonomics: Data collection from the Berrien Springs Physical Therapy Clinic in collaboration with Dr. Wendy Ruppart on injuries related to work environment. This initiative is aimed at understanding the causation of injuries from the point of view of statics and dynamics and the development of technologies to eliminate and/or minimize the adverse effects. Research is ongoing since spring 2005.
3. Research on Evacuated Tube Transport: George S. Agoki entered formal agreement with ET3.COM Inc., the Licensor, a corporation organized and existing under the law of Florida and having a principal place of business at 232 N.E. 2nd Court, Crystal River, Florida, U.S.A. As Licensee, George S. Agoki, is reviewing, using, co-developing, participating in, marketing, educating other about evacuated tube transport; will manufacture, make products relating to or otherwise making use of the Intellectual Property. August 2005, ongoing.
4. Research on Eleusine Corana (Obori): This research on an African cereal is aimed at contributing to engineering for agricultural, food and biological systems by way of developing and innovating harvest and post-harvest technology for the cereal eleusine corocana (obori). Research is ongoing since April 2004.
5. Predictive Models in Traffic Engineering: The models developed as a result of PhD research are bing validated and providing input into the development of the theory of safety. Consultancy is also provided via Agokonsult Limited, Consulting Engineers, Surveyors, Architects and Planners incorporated in the Republic of Kenya. Research is on going since the 1980s.
6. Preparation of manuscript on "Technology Miscarriage", since 2002 (ongoing).
1. Attended the PROMAC 2008 Conference in Project Management, September 15-18, 2008, Anchorage, Alaska, U. S. A. presented paper.
2. Attended the 115th Annual American Society of Engineering Education Conference, June 22-25, 2008, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U. S. A
3. Attended the 37th ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference, October 10-13, 2007, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. Presented two papers.
4. Attended the 4th Canadian Design Engineering Network/Canadian Congress for Engineering Education Conference, July 22-24, 2007, University of Manitoba, Canada. Presented one paper.
5. Attended the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, Engineering Accreditation Commission orientation, July 19, 2007, Arlington, Virginia, U.S.A.
6. Attended the 114th Annual American society of Engineering Education Conference & Exposition, June 2427, 2007, Honolulu, Hawaii, U.S.A.
7. Attended the American Society of Civil Engineering Annual Civil Engineering Conference, October 19-21, 2006, Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
8. Attended the North American Division (NAD) K-12 Teachers' Convention as a Judge in the Adventist Robotics League NAD Challenge Event, August 6-9, 2006. Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.A.
9. Attended the American Society of Agricultural & Biological Engineers Annual International Meeting, Portland, Oregon, U.S.A. July 9-12, 2006.
10. Attended the 113th Annual American Society of Engineering Education Conference & Exposition, June 1821, 2006. Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES: RESEARCH/SCHOLARLY PUBLICATIONS
1. G.S. Agoki, K. Meulmanns, E. Sanchez, and A. Willis (2008), Using Project Management for Senior Design Projects in Undergraduate Engineering Programs. PROMAC Conference.
2. G.S. Agoki, A. Clark, S. Behnke and B.E. Lee (2007). Skills Development: Technical Writing, Presentation, and Teamwork through Engineering Graphics. ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference
3. G.S. Agoki, Boon-Chai Ng, R.L. Johnson (2007). Development of Communication Skills and Teamwork amongst Undergraduate Engineering Students. ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference
4. G.S. Agoki and T. Chittick (2007). Canadian Impact in Engineering, Science and Technology Diffusion to Africa. Canadian Design Engineering Network/Canadian Congress for Engineering Education Conference
5. Agoki, G.S. 1992. "Development and Effects of Road Traffic Engineering Safety Countermeasures". Published Proceedings of the International Conference on Road Safety Experience and Practice in Africa, Abuja, Nigeria. 25 pp.
6. Agoki, G.S. 1992. "Road Traffic Accidents in Kenya with Special Reference to the City of Nairobi ". Article published in the African Urban Quarterly Vol. 7 Nos. 1& 2. Nairobi.
7. Agoki, G.S., Mwatelah, J.K.Z, Abiero-Gariy, Z.C., Tsunoda, M. 1992. "Development and Effects of Road Traffic Safety Measures ". Civil Engineering Department, Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture & Technology. 83 pp.
8. Agoki, G.S., et al. 1991. "Technological Solutions for Economic Development in Kenya Now and the 21" Century ", Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture & Technology 1St & 2d Edition
9. Agoki, G.S. et al. 1991 "Women in Science and Technology". Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture & Technology, 1St Edition.
10. Agoki, G.S. 1990. "Characteristics and Countermeasures of Road Traffic Accidents in Kenya". A paper presented at the Kenya Medical Association Scientific Conference Seminar, Nakuru, Kenya, 1990. Published in the Kenya Medical Association Journal.
11. Agoki, G. S. 1989. "Road Safety Research in Africa". Published Proceedings of the 2"d African Road Safety Congress. 21 pp.
12. Agoki, G.S. 1988. "Road Traffic Accidents ". Published Proceedings of the Pt International Conference on Urban Growth and Spatial Planning of Nairobi. 27 pp.
13. Agoki, G.S. 1988. "Characteristics of Road Traffic Accidents in Kenya". A Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya. 393 pp.
14. Agoki, G.S. 1986. "Characteristics and Theory of Road Traffic Accidents". A paper presented at the 1st International Conference on Road Traffic Accidents in Developing Countries". Benin City, Nigeria. Published proceedings, Lagos, Nigeria. 15 pp.
15. Agoki, G.S. 1984. "Theory of road Traffic Accidents: Kenya Situation". A paper presented at the 1St African Road Safety Congress, Nairobi, Kenya. Published proceedings. pp. 6.165-6.169.
16. Agoki, G.S., Yahya, S.S.1975. "Social Infrastructure for Industry". Published by Afropress Limited, Nairobi.