Gymnics Team History
It began with a pick, a shovel and a shared dream of one day creating a traveling Christian gymnastics troupe. In 1959, two young men, Robert Kalua and Gene Wilson, put their dreaming into action, and went to work turning an embankment in Loma Linda, California into a gymnastics training field.
Within two years of that first shovelful of dirt, the "Gymnics" performed for the World Youth Congress of Seventh-day Adventists in Atlantic City, New Jersey. Since that 1961 performance, Gymnics have been delighting audiences across the country and around the world.
Andrews University became the home of the Gymnics when Coach Kalua moved to Berrien Springs in 1965. In 1991, the first Acrofest was held at Andrews University under Kalua's direction. Since then Acrofest has grown to include more than a thousand participants and coaches, learning and performing together. Today, hundreds of Gymnics alumni can be found all over the world.