|New Series, No. 15||Newsletter of James White Library||November 1995|
In a special ceremony in James White Library on Monday, November 27, the future multi-media center was named in honor of Mary Jane Mitchell, a former library director of Andrews University. The event coincided with Mrs. Mitchell's 80th birthday and commemorated a lifetime of outstanding service to the James White Library and its predecessor, the SDA Theological Seminary library at Washington, D.C.
Approximately fifty people--friends, former colleagues and employees of James White Library--attended the event in the Sky Room on the upper floor of the library building. Following a speech by President Andreasen, the group watched Mrs. Mitchell unveil a special plaque honoring her for almost forty years of service as the first librarian of the SDA Theological Seminary in Washington, D.C., and later the first library director of Andrews University after the seminary moved to Berrien Springs. Mrs. Mitchell directed James White Library from 1960 to her retirement in 1981.
Recounting the special contributions of Mrs. Mitchell to the development of the university library, Keith Clouten reminded the group that she pioneered the application of electronic technology in James White Library and promoted its use in improving functional efficiency. It was particularly appropriate, he said, that the library's immediate plans for a multi-media center, incorporating state-of-the-art computer technology, should be named in her honor.
During the ceremony, Mrs. Mitchell presented a check to David Faehner, Vice-President for Advancement, to assist in the development of the new center. The Mitchell family had requested that birthday gifts should take the form of checks to Andrews University for establishing the multi-media center. These gifts, combined with funds raised during the recent phonathon, now total approximately 80% of the $20,000 target for opening the first stage of the Mary Jane Mitchell Multi-Media Center in the Fall of 1996.
In June 1995 over 125 boxes of historical records from the Voice of Prophecy in Thousand Oaks, California, arrived at James White Library's Adventist Heritage Center, following several months of negotiation. These records document the growth and development of the VOP from its early days in the 1930s to the mid 1980s.
The Voice of Prophecy, founded by H.M.S. Richards, Sr. in 1930, is the longest-running Christian evangelistic radio broadcast in the United States. In 1926, Richards began occasional radio broadcasts in central California. In 1930, he set out to establish a regular broadcast. By 1942, the Voice of Prophecy began broadcasting nation-wide via the Mutual Broadcasting network. The VOP has an international impact with its broadcasts and Bible correspondence schools, utilizing many languages. Richards was followed by his son, H.M.S. Richards, Jr., and currently, Lonnie Melashenko is the Director and Speaker.
Included in the collection is correspondence from 1961 to the mid 1980s. This includes the correspondence with broadcast listeners along with Richards' personal correspondence with Seventh-day Adventist Church leaders and others. Various minutes and reports extend back to the earliest days of the broadcast. There are typed copies of many of the sermons presented on the air, both on Sundays and on the daily program. Of special interest to those documenting VOP activities are the continuities. These are the scripts for the program which were read by all the participants, or used to instruct the participants before the programs were recorded or aired. The only things not included in the continuities are the prayers and the sermon by Elder Richards. Also included in the collection are copies of all of the books offered on the air as well as samples of all items printed in the VOP printing department for many years.
Currently the collection is being processed before it can be made easily available for research. Once processed, the collection is accessible to serious researchers.
This collection includes primarily paper-based records. The bulk of the sound recordings of the many VOP programs are housed at the Loma Linda University Heritage Room in Loma Linda, California. The music portion of the broadcast is retained by the Voice of Prophecy for continued use on the broadcast.
The library's Department of Technical Services is now physically together on the main floor of James White Library. During the latter part of the summer, the Periodicals Unit was re-located from its office and workroom space on the lower level to a newly created area on the main floor, north side. The new room has been carved from the previous bibliography alcove, with a connection to the Cataloging Unit. There is also direct access to the Periodicals Unit from the reference area.
The Periodical Unit of Technical Services handles all periodical ordering and renewals, arrival and check-in of issues, claiming of missing issues, and preparation for binding. The periodicals themselves continue to be housed on the lower level.
The space on the lower level previously occupied by periodicals staff is now, like ancient Gaul, divided into three parts. The editor of the Seventh-day Adventist Periodical Index, Dan Drazen, has moved there from his previous location behind Circulation on the main floor. Next to Dan is the workroom for SAIL (Services to Adventist Institutional Libraries) which now provides some library services to denominational institutions outside of North America.
The third occupant of the "old" periodicals department is the new JWL Building Manager, Josip Horonic. Josip leads a team of student assistants responsible for re-shelving library materials on all three floors. Other duties include allocation of open and closed carrels and library security.
Contributors to this issue of UNCLASSIFIED are Keith Clouten and
Editor: Wanda Cantrell
UNCLASSIFIED is edited and produced by the James
White Library Director's Office. Published in January, February, April,
May, September, October, and November. Items for inclusion should reach
the Director's Office by the first working day of the month of
Revised January 11, 1995