Teacher Preparation Program
The application for admission to the teacher preparation program should be submitted by undergraduate students completing 15 semester credit hours including EDTE165. Application for admission to the teacher preparation program should be done by transfer students and by Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) students during the first semester of enrollment. Applications are considered semi-annually by the Certification, Screening, and Petitions Committee.
To be admitted to the teacher education program, students must meet the criteria for admission listed below:
- Satisfactorily complete EDTE165
- Choose appropriate teaching major and/or minor(s).
- Pass the MTTC Basic Skills Test (students are only allowed to take this test three times)
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.75.
- While maintaining good and regular status and to complete the program the student must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.50 in each of the following areas:
- Professional education courses*, and
- Overall course work.
(* A course with a grade less than C in a major, minor or professional education class must be repeated. All courses taken at Andrews University or transferred to Andrews University are included in calculating the GPA.)
- Provide recommendations from the teacher of EDTE165 and one other Andrews University faculty member.
- Begin a professional teaching portfolio.
- Demonstrate clearance in regard to felony or misdemeanor conviction as an adult.
- Demonstrate the professional disposition of an educator.
- Fingerprint and criminal background check are required prior to admission to the Teacher Preparation Program.
- Upon admission students are charged a professional fee.