Current International Students

Please visit our international student services office at any time. Join in these special events, building community with other international students.  Whether you live on or near campus, explore all student life co-curricular opportunities too!

  • Thanksgiving Banquet in November each year
  • Christmas Banquet in December each year
  • International vespers (evening worship) once a month
  • International Food Fair each Spring
  • International Student Week Sabbath worship service each Spring

Main Campus International Student Service Information

If you would like to add an online class to your main campus course load, please note that students studying on an I-20 visa can only take one online class per semester.  At least 75% of classes in their full-time load must be attended on main campus.

Employment is regulated by the U.S government and the hours allowed for International Students to work should not be viewed as being sufficient to cover school expenses. International students coming to Andrews University may work on a part-time basis in on campus student job positions (20 hours a week) if satisfactory academic performance is maintained and if such work is allowed by the USCIS.  Andrews University students apply in various campus locations such as the Library, Dining Services, Hospitality services, Dairy farm, Arboretum/Grounds, Academic Departments, Administrative Offices, etc. You can find regularly updated job postings at Student Employment.

F-1 students may not work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions and restrictions. After the first academic year, F-1 students may engage in three types of off-campus employment: Curricular Practical Training (CPT), Optional Practical Training (OPT), and Optional Practical Training Extension for STEM Students (STEM OPT). Learn more on the USCIS webpage.

A Social Security number (SSN) is used to report your wages to the U.S. government and to determine eligibility for Social Security benefits. Social Security numbers can be assigned to foreign workers who are authorized to work in the United States. To learn more about work eligibility please visit the USCIS website.

If you are eligible to apply for a Social Security number, you will need to apply through the Social Security Administration office. Visit the Social Security website to locate nearby office branches, office hours, directions and more.

Letter of ineligibility: If you are not eligible for a social security number, you can request a “letter of ineligibility” from a Social Security Office. You need to present your original I-20, passport, Form I-94, and one document from proof of Michigan address. You are required to have the letter of ineligibility in order to take the driver's license written test.

Students may choose pre-paid phones with pre-paid minutes, or those which require a contract with limits of minutes and data for a monthly cost. 

Pre-paid phones can be purchased from places such as Best Buy, Walmart and Target.  Verizon and  AT&T are the cell phone carriers with the best coverage around Berrien Springs. T-Mobile and Sprint offer cell phone coverage as well.  Check their websites to locate the nearest service store.

Most people choose banks with branch offices or ATM's near where they live, work, or study. Employers prefer paying through direct deposit to a USA account.

To open an account, you will need identification, such as a passport. F and J-visa holders do not need a Social Security number to open a bank account or for most other financial transactions. Please be sure that you understand any fees that might apply through the bank you select and read their banking terms and agreements.  After you have opened your account, you can also sign up for online banking. Most banks do not require a social security number for online banking.

Within walking distance of campus, you'll find branch offices for Fifth Third Bank, Chemical Bank, and two credit unions (nonprofit, cooperative financial institutions owned and run by their members) as Honor Credit Union and United Federal Credit Union. Visit their website or walk in to compare banking services before opening an account.

All the banks and credit unions list on the comparison chart are covered by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation or  National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund which provide U.S. government insurance for your account. As of 2011 the deposit insurance limit is $250,000.

You are required to have a Michigan license to drive in this state within the first few months of arriving; international driver's licenses may only be used in transition.  As there is no public transport in this area, learning to drive may be an important skill to being able to travel to work and study through cold Michigan winters.

A Michigan driver's license includes a written test, a road sign test, a vision test, and a driving test. The first step is to prepare for the written test and road sign test by studying the booklet, What Every Driver Must Know. You can take the written test available in a number of different languages

The following documents will be required for identification purposes at the testing center:

  • Evidence that you have a valid Social Security number or a "letter of ineligibility" from a Social Security Office.
  • Your passport and I-20
  • Your print-out of electronic Form I-94
  • Proof of your Michigan address (at least two documents). What is acceptable documentation?

After you pass the written test and receive a temporary instruction permit, you are required to wait for a 30-day practice period before taking the road test.You will also be asked to take a vision test. You can take a road sign test at any Michigan Secretary of State Office. 

Prepare for the road test by practicing and by studying the Road Skills Test Study Guide. Then choose a company authorized to give the road skills test and make an appointment. These are private companies and may charge different fees. You may want to compare the cost and times available for skills preparation.

Be sure to take your passport and a valid registration for the vehicle to be used in the road test, along with proof of its insurance.  You may borrow a car to take the test.

Seventh-day Adventist schools and day care centers in Berrien Springs include:

The Berrien Public School System includes Mars Elementary (Pre-school - Grade 2), Sylvester Elementary (Grades 3-5), Berrien Springs Middle School (Grades 6-8), Berrien Springs High School (Grades 9-13), Virtual Academy (online classes) and a vibrant Home School Partnership.  Learn more online.

It is important that you know the laws designed to protect children and family members in the United States. Violation of some laws may result in payment of a fine; others may result in arrest.

Car Safety Seats: Michigan law requires that anyone riding in a moving vehicle must be wearing a seat belt. Children younger than age 4 must ride in seat meeting requirements for their age, in the rear seat if the vehicle has a rear seat. If all available rear seats are occupied by children under 4, then a child under 4 may ride in a car seat in the front seat. A child in a rear-facing car seat may only ride in the front seat if the airbag is turned off. Children must be properly buckled in a car seat or booster seat until they are 8 years old or 4-feet-9-inches tall. Children must ride in a seat until they reach the age requirement or the height requirement, whichever comes first.

Child Abuse: Child abuse is a very serious crime in the United States. Teachers and care givers are required by law to report any suspected cases of child abuse.  This includes corporal punishment, emotional, physical or sexual abuse, and neglect.

Domestic Violence: Of course, it's illegal to commit an assault, battery, or criminal threat against anyone. But if the alleged victim is your fiancé, spouse, cohabitant, dating partner, or the parent of your child, Michigan domestic violence laws make the allegation much more serious.  Learn more on the Michigan State Policy Domestic Violence Awareness webpage.

Accepting Public Assistance: Nonimmigrants are not eligible for public assistance in the United States. Public assistance includes programs such as Medical (Medicare, MedAid and/or MIbridges, Aid for Families with Dependent Children (AFDC) and Food Stamps.  The consequences of accepting such assistance are that if you leave the United States and want to return, you may be stopped at the border and denied entry until the amount of public assistance you received has been repaid.

The Office of International Student Services ensures that international students and their families transition successfully to living at Andrews University. This includes immigration advising (for your legal status) as well as programs and coaching to adjust to living in the U.S. 

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) requires that you finish your program of study by the completion date on your I-20. The end date on the I-20 is established by the admissions office to reflect the average length of time it should take a student to complete the degree requirements.  If, during the course of your studies it becomes necessary to extend your I-20, International Student Services can provide I-20 extensions to those who are eligible and apply in a timely fashion.

Please read important immigration information for students on an F-1 visa.

Download and print any of the following forms depending on your need.

Below are instructions for various processes

Online Student Services

Access resources serving online students, many of which are also useful to students on other campuses.

The Andrews Story
Credit for Prior Learning
Online Exam Proctoring
Grades, Transcripts & Graduation
Study Tools
Technical Support

AU Online Student Resource Guide
Advising Services 
Financial Services 
Agenda - AU News
Facebook & Twitter    
AU Youtube Channel
Study Online - tutorial videos  
Proximity Devotional App
PMC Worship Services

Services at Other Sites

Program directors clarify which online services are applicable at other sites.  Additional services are provided at the local site.


Find a home in our residence halls, our apartments, off-campus or while visiting.


Spiritual Life

See how proximity to God can energize your daily routine and relationships.



Enjoy vegan and vegetarian meals in the Terrace Café or Gazebo.


Involvement & Activities

Create connections as you participate in social, recreational and educational events.


Health & Safety

Get support through resources developed with your best life in mind.


Sports & Recreation

Discover ways to stay active and show your school spirit.


Calendar of Events

International Student Services: Office Closure

The Office of International Student Services will offer limited services from May 27–31, 2019, as they will be... read more >

God's Closet

The Office of International Student Services manages a program called "God’s Closet" on the campus of Andrews University.... read more >