Community Application Process
For Undergrads Under 22 Years Old
Andrews University students are expected to abide by the principles and guidelines delineated in the "Student Handbook" wherever they may live.
1. Policy: Please read the Residential Living Policy to be sure of the qualifications for community living before applying.
|Need a Community Residential Application?|
2. Application: A Community Residential Application may be obtained online or in the Student Life office (Campus Center, main floor).
- The parent, grandparent, aunt/uncle, sibling age 22+ or current, full-time Andrews University faculty/staff member living in the local area must sign the application in person in the Student Life office and is required to present their current Michigan or Indiana driver’s license to be photocopied as proof of local residency (address within a 45-mile radius of Andrews University).
- If applying to live with an aunt/uncle, a student must submit written documentation from a parent to verify that the aunt/uncle is the biological sister/brother of the parent.
- A sibling age 22+ who will act as household guardian for a student under the age of 22 may be requested to submit a copy of their signed lease and other documentation (such as copy of bills) once they have received Approval with Condition* status from the office.
- Students who make false statements to the University on a Community Residential Application jeopardize their student status and ability to reside in the community—additional consequences and/or fines may apply.
Applications must be complete to be approved. There will be NO RUSHES for approval. Immediate clearance, even temporarily, should NOT be expected when submitting applications.
3. Review: Applications will be reviewed and, if needed, an appointment with the assistant to the vice president for Student Life will be arranged.
4. Notification: The assistant to the vice president for Student Life will respond to all applications within two weeks of submission or according to the designated timeline (see below). Students are strongly advised not to make contractual agreements or financial commitments in the community before receiving full approval from Student Life for community living. Student Life is not responsible for these choices or consequences. All notifications (approval or otherwise) will be sent on behalf of the assistant to the vice president for Student Life to the student’s Andrews University email address. Students should NOT assume approval before receiving notification of approval.
|Semester expected to move||Application deadline||Response by|
|Fall 2016||June 1||June 15|
|Spring 2017||November 2||November 16|
5. Follow-up: Students given Approval with Condition* must submit a copy of their older sibling’s signed lease by the first day of the new semester in which the move is made.
*Approval with Condition—This application status may be given to students who have applied to live with a sibling age 22+. This status suggests approval is pending Student Life’s receipt of a copy of the signed lease agreement for the residence where the student will live. The older sibling must be listed as a lessee (tenant) on the agreement. Students will not be cleared in the registration system until this information is received. Approval with Condition will not exceed the period of three weeks.