"How do we account for the strange, extinct creatures of long ago in light of the biblical creation narratives? What do the fossils tell us about God's work of creation? Questions such as these encourage us to explore the ways that Adventist beliefs and biological knowledge inform, interact, and sometimes challenge each other, and that is the task of this book."
Thus states H. Thomas Goodwin in this fourth volume of the Faith and Learning series, co-sponsored by the Center for College Faith at Andrews University and the Department of Education of the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists. Contributing authors examine a variety of evidence, addressing issues of biology in light of a biblical worldview. This book invites readers to explore the connections between scientific investigation and the beliefs of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. Authors go beyond the creation-evolution debate to interact with such subjects as the fossil record, ecology and stewardship, the biology of human nature, and the human genome.
Contributing authors are Earl M. J. Aagaard, Karl G. D. Bailey, Leonard Brand, David L. Cowles, H. Thomas Goodwin, Floyd E. Hayes, William K. Hayes, and Timothy G. Standish.
Click here to read a sample from this book.
About This Book and Series
Foreword by Lisa M. Beardsley-Hardy
Editor's Preface by H. Thomas Goodwin
1. Introduction: Science and Faith as Honest Friends by H. Thomas Goodwin
2. Genomes: What They Tell Us about Life, Science, and God by Timothy G. Standish
3. Being Humans: Biology, Faith, and Human Nature by Karl G. D. Bailey
4. The Scope and Limits of the Evolutionary Process by Leonard Brand
5. The Fossil Record: Seventh-day Adventist Perspectives by H. Thomas Goodwin
6. An Adventist View of Ecology by David L. Cowles
7. Seventh-day Adventist Faith and Environmental Stewardship by Floyd E. Hayes and William K. Hayes
8. Creationism, Darwinism, and Mere Science by Earl M. J. Aagaard
Afterword by H. Thomas Goodwin
Appendix A: The Institute for Christian Teaching
Appendix B: The Center for College Faith
Appendix C: Official Seventh-day Adventist Statements
Appendix D: Faculty with Active Environmental Research Programs
About the Authors
2014 | 208 pp.