Information For:
Future Students
Visitors & Parents
Current Students
Faculty & Staff

Fire Crews Called to Meier

Date: September 2, 2008
Phone: 269-471-3348

At 9:31 p.m. Monday night, September 1, 2008, there was a report of smoke in a men’s residence room at Meier Hall. The fire alarm system was activated in Meier Hall and the building was evacuated. The Berrien Springs-Oronoko Township and Eau Claire fire departments responded to the call.
The cause of the smoke was determined to be a microwave left unattended while it charred a paper bowl and cinnamon roll.
Dale Hodges, director of Public Safety, says there were no injuries reported.
Frances Faehner, vice-president of Student Life, says, “There appears to be no damage to the room, although it will take some time and effort for the charred smell to be expunged.”
Chief Stover from the Berrien Springs Fire Department gave the residence hall deans, resident advisor team, the Department of Public Safety and residents high marks for their response in facilitating a smooth evacuation of the building. Upon receiving the “all clear” from Chief Stover, Dean Juniper, the dean on duty, asked Meier Hall residents to gather in the Meier Hall Chapel. Hodges and Faehner gave a brief information session on the cause of the evacuation and the importance of always evacuating when the alarm is activated. 

Andrews University is a Seventh-day Adventist institution of higher education
Phone: 1-800-253-2874     Email:
Copyright © 2014 Andrews University
Berrien Springs, Michigan 49104