Department of Mathematics
Through teaching, research, and service, the Andrews University Department of Mathematics seeks to provide leadership in the mathematical sciences by
Preparing students with the mathematical understanding, problem-solving skills, and dispositions that enable them to excel in their chosen careers;
Increasing mathematical and scientific knowledge through publication and presentation;
Supporting the broader mathematics education community and mentoring others for generous service through a committed Christian life.
97% of our graduates since 2011 are employed or in graduate school
|Business||High School Teaching||Risk Management|
|Computer Programming||ITS||Secondary Education|
|Elementary Education||Law||Software Engineering|
|American Univ, Washington College of Law||Georgia State University||University of Arizona|
|Andrews University||Indiana University, Bloomington||University of Buffalo|
|Australian National University in Canberra||Loma Linda Medical School||University of California, Davis|
|Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law||Lousiana State Univ, Baton Rouge||University of Illinois, Chicago|
|Central Michigan University||Miami University, Oxford, OH||Univ of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign|
|Colorado State University||New Jersey Institute of Technology||University of Massachusetts|
|Columbia University Law School||Notre Dame University||University of Michigan School of Law|
|Cornell University||Oklahoma State University||University of North Texas, Denton|
|Florida State University||Purdue University||University of Tennessee, Knoxville|
|George Mason University||Roosevelt Univ, Schaumburg, IL||University of Texas, Dallas|
|Georgetown University||Texas Tech University--Lubbock||West Virginia University, Morgantown|
|Kitt Peak National Observatory||Brooklyn College, Computational Molecular Biophysics Lab|
|NHLBI Inst for Training in Biostats, Boston Univ||Santa Fe Institute|
|Seabird Ecology Team, Andrews University||North Carolina State University|
|Northwestern University||Nanophotonic Material Group, Univ of Central Florida|
|SURF Program, CRISP, Yale University||University of Nebraska, Lincoln|
|University of Michigan||Laser Interferometer Space Antenna, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena|
|University of Guadalajara, Mexico||Cook Nuclear Center, Bridgman, MI|
Latest Research by Students
Student coauthors in bold
1. Atkins, G. J., Sandler, A. G., McLarty, M., Henson, S. M., & Hayward, J. L., 2015. Oviposition behavior in Glaucous-winged Gulls (Larus glaucenscens). Wilson Journal of Ornithology, 127:486-493.
2. Payne, B. G., Henson, S. M., Hayward, J. L., Megna, L. C., & Velastegui Chavez, S. R., 2015.Environmental constraints on gaul-out and foraging dynamics in Galapagos marine iguanas. Journal of Coupled Systems and Multiscale Dynamics. (To appear).
3. Navia, B., Burden, C., Steely, T., Hasegawa, H., Cha, E., Henson, S. M., Stout, J., & Atkins, G. J., 2015. Parallel effects of temperature on the male cricket calling song, phonotaxis of the female and the auditory responses of the L3 neurone. Physiological Entomology 40:113–122.
4. Hayward, J. L., Atkins, G. J., Reichert, A. A., & Henson, S. M., 2015. Common ravens (Corvus corax) prey on rhinoceros auklet (Cerorhinca monocerata) eggs, chicks, and possibly adults. Wilson Journal of Ornithology 127:336-339.
5. Kang, J.H., & Tritch, W. 2015. Conditions for existence or nonexistence of positive solutions to elliptic general model. British Journal of Mathematics & Computer Science, 8: 447-457.
6. Seo, Y. L, & Oh, Y. M., 2015. A curve satisfying T/K = S with constant K = 0. American Journal of Undergraduate Research 12: 57-62.
Cheeseboro, B. Poster. "Locating Gravitational Waves with Bayes Wave." MASAL Conference, Andrews University, March 13, 2015.
Stafford, I. "The Theological Motivation of Isaac Newton." Honors Scholars & Undergraduate Research Poster Symposium, March 6, 2015.
Cheeseboro, B. Poster. "Locating Gravitational Waves with Bayes Wave." Honors Scholars & Undergraduate Research Poster Symposium, March 6, 2015.
McMearty, M. Poster. "Extracting Gravitational Waves from Noisy Data Using a Maximum Entropy Method Approach." Honors Scholars & Undergraduate Research Poster Symposium, March 6, 2015.
Pearson, B. "Human Diffusion in One Dimension." eigen*Talk, February 27, 2015.
Stafford, I. Presentation. "Optimizing a Doubly Convergent Klystron at NCSU." REU summary for eigen*Talk, February 27, 2015.