DINING SERVICES - Salad/Deli Leader
Hourly Full-time (35-40)
The Salad Leader is responsible for the daily operations of the Salad Bar and Deli. This individual is responsible for managing the salad/deli team, menu selection, product inventory/control, product and workplace safety, and effective communication with the Sous and Executive Chef.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
Duties and responsibilities
- Supervise the Salad/ Deli staff and students
- Understand and implement the requirements of Great Expectations 3 (Bon Appetit Philosophy) through action, training, and discipline if necessary
- Organize, count/maintain, and ensure the quality of the salad/ deli inventory with the Executive Chef using clear written and verbal communication
- Follow menu and prepare food for meals to meet time and quality requirements.
- Instruct team on proper portion sizes and ingredients in menu items where appropriate
- Constantly monitor the salad bar/ deli to maintain quality and quantities of food. Every effort should be made to keep food looking fresh by cooking in batch sizes appropriate for the amount of customers visiting the station
- Clean and sanitize food preparation equipment and work area
- Assists the Executive Chef, Sous, or AM-PM Cook with meal preparation as required
- Label, date and store foods in designated areas
- Segregates and removes garbage and recyclables
- Performs advance preparation duties and salad and fruit preparation as directed by the Sous or Executive Chef while minimizing and elimination waste
- Looks ahead to the next day for advance preparation as necessary
- Complete other tasks as requested by supervisor
- Cooperate with supervisor in adjusting job duties as circumstances require
Supervise the entire salad/ deli staff (student and non-student) and coordinate with other department leaders to ensure the efficient operation of the Terrace Café.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or three to six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability speak, read, and write in English. Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small groups situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Must successfully complete ServeSafe training.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand. The employee frequently is required to walk, use hands to handle, feel, and reach, as well as handle a variety of slicing or cutting equipment. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk or hear, and taste or smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds unassisted. Specific vision abilities required include color vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee comes in contact with the standard Food Service equipment but not limited to the following: freezers, refrigerators, storage area, slicers, grills and cooking kettles. Exposed to extreme heat in cooking environments and extreme cold in freezers and coolers. Moves equipment inside and outside in all weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Personnel in the Food Service Industry must be able to stand for long hours. Peaks of high production are demanded both daily and seasonally, depending on job location.