Andrews University Community Values Agreement
Andrews University is a Christian community where Christ is celebrated and reflected in the academic, social and spiritual experiences of its members. As a Seventh-day Adventist institution, we seek to integrate faith, learning and living while each of us matures in our relationship to God and each other. By deciding to attend the main campus of Andrews University, students choose to be part of this uniquely Christian atmosphere. As such, students agree to uphold the community values below and as contained in relevant student handbooks and bulletins:
- To be part of a faith-based institution by respecting Andrews University’s Seventh-day Adventist Christian perspective and values.
- To adopt a wholesome lifestyle guided on- and off-campus by the core values of the Andrews University community.
- Honesty: We refrain from lying, cheating and stealing.
- Modesty: We exhibit modesty and simplicity in behavior and dress.
- Sexual Purity: We refrain from engaging in pre-marital sex, adultery and pornography.
- Respect for Others: We do not tolerate any form of verbal, physical or sexual abuse.
- Healthful Living: We abstain from using alcohol, tobacco and illegal drugs.
- Safety: We do not tolerate the possession or use on-campus of firearms, explosive devices or other prohibited weapons. Off-campus possession or use of illegal firearms, explosive devices or other prohibited weapons is not tolerated.
- To live on a residential campus in a University residence hall and participate in a meal plan at the University’s vegetarian cafeteria while single and under the age of 22 unless living in the community with parents.
- To be part of a gathered community by attending required weekly co-curricular programs including chapels, forums and other developmental programs as part of the educational requirement.
Andrews University supports its students through a wide variety of on-campus services delivered by professional residence hall staff, licensed counselors, chaplains, campus safety officers and other student life personnel. We are committed to nurturing the personal growth and development of each student and to fostering a campus environment that is uniquely Christian.
If you’d like to know more about the values, expectations and services of the Christian community at Andrews University, we encourage you to review the online Andrews University Student Handbook.