Community Application Process
For Undergrads Under 22 Years Old
1. Policy: Please read the Residential Living Policy to make certain you qualify for community living before applying.
2. Application: Community Residential Applications may be obtained online or in the Student Life office (Campus Center, main floor). Applicants may need to affix signature/s in the presence of the assistant to the vice president for Student Life or her designee.
- Parents, Grandparents, Aunts/Uncles, Siblings Age 22+, and Full-time Andrews University Faculty or Staff Members living in the local area must sign the Application in person in the Student Life office and must present their current Michigan or Indiana driver’s license to be photocopied as proof of local residency (address within a 45-mile radius of Andrews University).
- Siblings age 22 and older who will act as household guardians for a student under the age of 22 may be requested to submit a copy of their signed lease and other documentation (such as copy of bills) once they have received “Approval with Condition” status from the office.
Falsification of Information is just cause for Student Life to revoke any “Approval” and require immediate compliance with on-campus residence or revoke student status with the University. Further disciplinary action may be taken (see Student Handbook, “Code of Student Conduct”).
Download community residential forms Click here to download the Community Residential Application and Process
Applications must be complete to be approved. There will be NO RUSHES for approval. You should NOT expect immediate clearance, even temporarily, when submitting applications.
3. Review: Applications will be reviewed and, if needed, an appointment with the assistant to the vice president for Student Life will be arranged for further discussion.
4. Notification: The assistant to the vice president for Student Life will respond to all Applications within two weeks of submission or according to the designated timeline (see below). Applicants are strongly advised not to enter contractual agreements or financial commitments for their housing before receiving full approval. Student Life is not responsible for these choices or consequences. Approval, *Approval with Condition, or Denial decisions will be sent on the assistant to the vice president for Student Life’s behalf to the applicant’s Andrews University email address. You should NOT assume that you are approved before receiving email notification to your AU mailbox.
|Semester expected to move||Application deadline||Response by|
|Fall 2014||July 1||July 15|
|Spring 2015||November 3||November 17|
5. Follow-up: Applicants given “Approval with Condition” must submit a copy of their signed lease by the first day of the new semester in which the move is made.
*Approval with Condition – This application status may be given to students who have applied to live with a sibling age 22 or older. This status suggests approval is pending Student Life’s receipt of a copy of the signed lease agreement for the residence where the applicant will live. The older sibling must be listed as a lessee (tenant) on the agreement. Applicants will not be cleared in the registration system until this information is received. Approval with Condition will not exceed the period of three weeks.
Andrews University students are expected to abide by the principles and guidelines delineated in the Student Handbook wherever they may live.