The Department of Biology provides transformational education in the biological sciences for a diverse student population, set in the context of a Seventh-day Adventist Christian world view. To achieve this mission we:
- Seek knowledge and develop skills for life-long learning through rigorous research, teaching, and learning in the biological sciences;
- Affirm faith, engender integrity, and honor the Creator through personal mentoring, intentional study of life as God’s creation, and the ethical practice of science; and
- Change the world by active service, promoting responsible living as stewards of creation, and preparing students formeaningful careers in church and society.
After completing their biology education at Andrews University, our students will be expected to demonstrate:
- knowledge across major areas of biology, including the nature and practice of biology in relation to biblical teachings;
- the analytical, communication, critical thinking, and leadership skills essential to the practice and application of biology in church and society;
- high standards of integrity in scholarship and life;
- responsible service in the application of biology to meet the needs of church and society, notably in environmental stewardship.
To provide this transformation education, the Department of Biology will retain and develop:
- A faculty committed to excellence in mentoring, teaching, research, and service;
- A curriculum that meets the needs of our students in the modern world;
- Facilities that provide an excellent environment for teaching and learning; and
- An ethos and co-curriculum that fosters personal relationships, collaboration among faculty and students, personal service, and affirmation of faith.