Departmental Challenge Exams

Who can request a departmental challenge exam?

Andrews University departmental challenge exams may be considered for students admitted to degree programs who have achieved the course outcomes in non-traditional education settings.  Challenge exams are available at the discretion of each department, for courses where standardized exams are not available.

Are there any limitations?

A departmental challenge exam cannot be used to replace failures or other low grades earned in residence including an “F” (Fail), “I” (Incomplete) or “W” (Withdrawal). 

How do I request credit by challenge exam?

• Contact the department to request permission to take a challenge exam for a course offered by this department for which you have prior learning without transfer credit. 
• Complete the student section of the Credit by Exam/Validation Assessment Form. Leave it with the department.  Note that signing the form approves the recording and administrative fees charged to your account.
• Expect a decision on your application within two weeks.  Arrange to take the exam as directed by the department, within the semester in which approval is given. 

How do I prepare to take a challenge exam?

• Request a syllabus for the course you consider challenging by exam.  
• Review using textbooks listed, paying attention to the course learning outcomes and information about assignments and exams.
• If the faculty evaluator (usually currently teaching the class) is available, ask for an exam review, briefly noting outcomes / essential concepts and questions to be prepared to answer.

What happens after I take a challenge exam?

Expect a letter or email from the department that offered and graded the exam.  After completing their section of the Credit By Examination form, the department forwards it to the Undergraduate Records Office where the grade is entered.  Then the Business Office signs off as they enter the charge(s) on the student’s account.

If I am enrolled in the course, can I take the challenge exam?

A challenge exam request may be considered during the drop/add period at the beginning of a semester.  Thereafter, you cannot challenge a course in which are you enrolled.

Does a challenge exam affect my GPA?

No.  Credits count toward graduation, but are recorded on the pass/fail scale, which is not calculated into your grade point average.  

Phone: 269-471-6570   Toll-free: 800-782-4769   Email:
Andrews University is a Seventh-day Adventist institution of higher education
Phone: 1-800-253-2874   E-mail:
Copyright © 2016 Andrews University
Berrien Springs, Michigan 49104