International Student Services
Administration Building 307
4150 Administration Building
(269) 471-6395

The Office of International Student Services ensures that international students and their families transition successfully to living at Andrews University. This includes immigration advising (for your legal status) as well as programs and coaching to adjust to living in the U.S.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) requires that you finish your program of study by the completion date on your I-20. The end date on the I-20 is established by the admissions office to reflect the average length of time it should take a student to complete the degree requirements. If, during the course of your studies it becomes necessary to extend your I-20, International Student Services can provide I-20 extensions to those who are eligible and apply in a timely fashion.

Please read important immigration information for students on an F-1 visa.

Download and print any of the following forms depending on your need.

Below are instructions for various processes:

Employment is regulated by the U.S. government and the hours allowed for international students to work should not be viewed as being sufficient to cover school expenses. International students coming to Andrews University may work on a part-time basis in on-campus student job positions (20 hours a week) if satisfactory academic performance is maintained and if such work is allowed by the USCIS. Andrews University students apply at various campus locations such as the library, Dining Services, Custodial, Arboretum/Grounds, academic departments, administrative offices, etc. You can find regularly updated job postings at Student Employment.

F-1 students may not work off-campus during the first academic year but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions and restrictions. After the first academic year, F-1 students may engage in three types of off-campus employment: Curricular Practical Training (CPT), Optional Practical Training (OPT), and Optional Practical Training Extension for STEM Students (STEM OPT). Learn more on the USCIS webpage.

A Social Security Number (SSN) is used to report your wages to the U.S. government and to determine eligibility for Social Security benefits. Social Security numbers can be assigned to foreign workers who are authorized to work in the United States. To learn more about work eligibility please visit the USCIS website.

If you are eligible to apply for a Social Security number, you will need to apply through the Social Security Administration office. Visit the Social Security website to locate nearby office locations, hours, directions and more.

Letter of ineligibility: If you are not eligible for a Social Security number, you can request a “letter of ineligibility” from a Social Security office. You need to present your original I-20, passport, Form I-94, and one document from proof of Michigan address. You are required to have the letter of ineligibility in order to take the driver's license written test.

Most people choose banks with branch offices or ATMs near where they live, work or study. Employers prefer paying through direct deposit to a U.S. account.

To open an account, you will need identification, such as a passport. F and J-visa holders do not need a Social Security Number to open a bank account or for most other financial transactions. Please be sure that you understand any fees that might apply through the bank you select and read their banking terms and agreements. After you have opened your account, you can also sign up for online banking. Most banks do not require a Social Security Number for online banking.

Within walking distance of campus, you'll find branch offices for Fifth Third Bank, Chemical Bank, and two credit unions (nonprofit, cooperative financial institutions owned and run by their members), Honor Credit Union and United Federal Credit Union. Visit their websites or walk in to compare banking services before opening an account.

All the banks and credit unions listed on the comparison chart are covered by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation or National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund which provide U.S. government insurance for your account. As of 2011, the deposit insurance limit is $250,000.

You are required to have a Michigan license to drive in this state within the first few months of arriving; international driver's licenses may only be used during transition. As there is no public transport in this area, learning to drive may be an important skill to being able to travel to work and study through cold Michigan winters.

A Michigan driver's license includes a written test, a road sign test, a vision test, and a driving test. The first step is to prepare for the written test and road sign test by studying the booklet, What Every Driver Must Know. The written test is available in a number of different languages.

The following documents will be required for identification purposes at the testing center:

  • Evidence that you have a valid Social Security Number or a "letter of ineligibility" from a Social Security office
  • Your passport and I-20
  • Your printout of electronic Form I-94
  • Proof of your Michigan address (at least two documents). What is acceptable documentation?

After you pass the written test and receive a temporary instruction permit, you are required to wait for a 30-day practice period before taking the road test. You will also be asked to take a vision test. You can take a road sign test at any Michigan Secretary of State office. 

Prepare for the road test by practicing and by studying the Road Skills Test Study Guide. Then choose a company authorized to give the road skills test and make an appointment. These are private companies and may charge different fees. You may want to compare the cost and time available for skills preparation.

Be sure to take your passport and a valid registration for the vehicle to be used in the road test, along with proof of valid insurance. You may borrow a car to take the test.

Explore resources that will help you settle your family comfortably into our community here.

Nonimmigrants are not eligible for public assistance in the United States. Public assistance includes programs such as Medicare, MedAid and/or MIbridges, Aid for Families with Dependent Children (AFDC) and Food Stamps. The consequences of accepting such assistance are that if you leave the United States and want to return, you may be stopped at the border and denied entry until the amount of public assistance you received has been repaid.

  • An international student residing in the United States may not be admitted to online programs. Visa restrictions apply for online studies, so please contact Andrews International Student Services for guidance.
  • An international student cannot take classes as a guest student unless one of the following conditions is true:
    • The courses are offered online and the student does not reside in the U.S.
    • The student is taking classes as a guest student while holding a full-time international student status at another college or university in the U.S. Verification documents will be required for admission.
  • An international student residing outside the U.S. enrolled in an Andrews online program cannot be considered for Curricular Practical Training (CPT).
  • An international student graduating from an Andrews online program cannot apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT) with the U.S. government.

Questions? Please email


Updates for International Students

Andrews University is open and ready to support you! Check regularly for updates and other information regarding international students coming to campus. 


Join us! International students from over 90 countries have made Andrews University their home away from home.



Christian Stuart

Executive Director, PDSO, RO

Phone: 269-471-6605



Silmara Ferreira

Associate Director, DSO, ARO

Phone: 269-471-3310



Ethnic Diversity 

Be Part of a Multicultural Environment. 

Andrews University is a Christian institution representing diversity across global, racial, economic, gender, religious and generational lines. We are a leading U.S. university in ethnic diversity according to the 2021 U.S. News & World Report’s Best Colleges edition.

Learn More