Driver's License

International students may receive a driver's license in Michigan.

This will require a visit to the Secretary of State office in Benton Harbor or Niles.

For general instructions on how to apply for a driver's license, please go here.

Please note that you will need to show your passport, student visa, I-20 (if you are required to have one), and Social Security Number.

If you (or your dependent) do not have a Social Security Number, please come to the Office of International Student Services (Administration Building 307). We will give you a letter that you can bring to the Social Security office in Benton Harbor; this office will then give you a Social Security Number waiver letter that you can use to apply for your driver's license.

Return to Homepage