Andrews University consists of eight schools. The two undergraduate schools are the College of Arts and Sciences and the College of Technology. The graduate and professional schools include the School of Graduate Studies, the Seventh-day Adventist Theological Seminary, the School of Business, and the School of Education. The last two of these operate at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. The University also operates Andrews Academy and Ruth Murdoch Elementary School.
Andrews University dates back to 1874 when the Seventh-day Adventist denomination founded Battle Creek College in Michigan. In 1901, the institution was moved to Berrien Springs and given the name of Emmanuel Missionary College. The Seventh-day Adventist Theological Seminary was organized in 1934 as the Advanced Bible School on the campus of Pacific Union College in Angwin, California; it operated in summer sessions only. Two years later, the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists voted to locate the Advanced Bible School on a more permanent basis in Washington, D.C., and named it the Seventh-day Adventist Theological Seminary. In 1957, the seminary board of trustees enlarged the scope of the institution's operations by establishing a school of graduate studies. A new and larger site was sought to facilitate the strengthening and growth of the expanded programs.
The problems encountered in providing an adequate site for the enlarged institution resulted in a move, in 1958, to the campus of Emmanuel Missionary College at Berrien Springs, Michigan. In 1960 the College, the Seminary and the School of Graduate Studies were united under one charter bearing the name of Andrews University. In 1974, the College was reorganized into the College of Arts and Sciences and the College of Technology. The School of Business was organized in 1980 and the School of Education in 1983.
Ruth Murdoch Elementary School consists of a pre-kindergarten through eighth grade. Andrews Academy is a senior high school. These schools had their origin in Battle Creek, Michigan in 1874, and moved with the College to Berrien Springs, Michigan in 1901.
Today the combined enrollments of Andrews University schools are over 3,800 students, representing over one hundred countries.
<< Previous Section // Next Section >>
// Return to Table of Contents //