Frequently Asked Questions








  • Do I have to submit a TOEFL score to be admitted to the CIEP?

No. All students admitted to the CIEP to study during the academic year must be at least 17 years of age, must have earned a high school diploma, and must show that they or their sponsors are able to pay for the living expenses and tuition while in the United States. Students are also required to show proof of health insurance when they register. 

  • Is admission to the CIEP the same as admission as a degree-seeking student at AU?  

No, it is not.  However, many students who complete English language studies in the CIEP have gone on to pursue degrees at Andrews University.  There is a separate admissions process for becoming an undergraduate or graduate student at Andrews University.  See Admissions for more information on admission to Andrews University as a degree-seeking student.

  • Can I transfer to Andrews University’s CIEP from another language school?  

Yes.  You will need to apply to our program and also submit a SEVIS Transfer Request to your current school.  Other necessary documentation can be found on our application page. 


  • Can students attend the CIEP part-time?

F-1 visa students must be enrolled as full-time students to retain their F-1 status. (Other visa holders may have options regarding part-time studies).

  • How much is tuition and what does it include?

The CIEP tuition rates can be found with Cost information. Tuition includes 12-16 hours of instruction each week, optional language enrichment programs such as Tutoring, Conversation Corner, and Conversation Partners, and the use of computing and library resources at Andrews University. 

  • Is financial aid available for CIEP tuition?

Only for students who are U.S. residents and are taking CIEP classes for credit.  

  • I have a scholarship from my embassy.  What do I do?  

You must submit an official financial guarantee to the International Student Financial Services office as part of the admissions process.    

  • Must I purchase medical insurance before my arrival or will I be able to buy insurance through the CIEP?  

You do not need medical insurance before your arrival in the United States.  However, all students must have proof of approved medical insurance at the time of registration, or they must purchase it on registration day.  The average cost of insurance coverage varies depending on the length of stay.  See Cost information for current average rates if you must buy insurance. 


  • When and how should I pay?


  • Can I register online?

No.  Registration for students taking only CIEP classes must be completed in the CIEP office.  A CIEP advisor will assist you with the registration process.

  • How do I know my level and what classes to register for?  

You will take a placement test when you arrive.  The results will help determine your level.  A CIEP advisor will determine what classes you should take and assist you with the registration process.

  • Can I drop a class?

If you have an F1 visa, you must be registered for classes full-time.  If you do not have an F1 visa, you can drop any class.  To drop a class you must complete and Add/Drop form, get the appropriate signatures from the CIEP Director and Dean’s office and return it to the Records office.  There is a fee for dropping a class after the second week of classes.  

  • How big are your classes? What is the typical size?

A typical class in the CIEP has between 9 and 18 students.  Currently CIEP classes average 14 students per class.  

  • How long does it take to learn English?  How long does it take to finish the program?

The CIEP currently offers three levels of English language instruction – Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced.  Students can enter the program at any level depending on their English language proficiency, and they can move at any rate through these levels, or even skip levels, depending on how their English proficiency develops. Serious and hard-working students who participate fully in class work and extracurricular language development options improve their English language proficiency quickly.

  • How long are classes?

Each class meets for 50 minutes four days a week from Monday through Thursday.  Please consult the Schedule for class times and hours. 

  • When and where are the classes?

Classes are held in Andrews University classrooms around campus Campus Map. Usually they are in Nethery Hall and Bell Hall.  Classes are offered from 8:30 until 11:30 and 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. Special programs and electives may be offered at other times.

  • Who teaches in the CIEP?

Teachers in the CIEP are highly qualified to teach English as a second language. They hold or are working toward advanced degrees in TESOL, and most have had extensive experience teaching both inside and outside the United States. See Instructors & Staff.

  • When does the program begin and end?

There are two 16-week sessions offered each academic year; one in the Fall and one in the Spring.  See the Academic Calendar for the dates that each semester begins and ends.  Students may also attend for a half-semester (8 weeks).  There is also a 4-week intensive program in the summer.  See Action America for information about the summer session.

  • Where do the students come from?  

The CIEP has an average of 60-70 students each session.  We typically have students from many different countries.  Currently we have students from Brazil, China, Colombia, Cuba, Indonesia, Japan, Madagascar, Mali, Mexico, Moldova, Peru, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Ukraine, and Venezuela.


  • Should I take the TOEFL at home or when I arrive at Andrews?

There are many tests for academic English language proficiency. The tests that you may take before coming to campus that are accepted by the Andrews University Admissions office include the following: the internet-based TOEFL (iBT), the Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB), the academic version of the IELTS, and the academic version of the Pearson Test of English (PTE).
The iBT and MELAB are available on campus through the Center for Counseling and Testing. The paper-based Institutional TOEFL (ITP) is offered by the Center for Intensive English Programs (CIEP). The TOEFL ITP is offered at the beginning, middle, and conclusion of each semester.


  • If I only want to study English, do I have to take a language placement test?  

Yes.  You will need to take a placement test when you arrive, so that we can determine the appropriate level of classes that will maximize your learning experience.  


  • Can I work on campus?

Students attending Andrews University are allowed to apply for employment on campus.  International students are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week when school is in session and 40 hours when on vacation.  It is the student’s responsibility to apply for work, search for employment opportunities, and contact the Social Security office with the documents validating that there is a job available and that the study load is at least 8 hours per week for graduate students and 12 hours per week for undergraduate students. 


  • Do you provide housing?  How can I find housing?

Applicants 22 years old or younger are asked to live in the on campus residence halls. Applicants 23 and older and families may live on campus in University Apartments or in the community. If you are planning to live on campus, either in one of the residence halls or in a university apartment, registration and a deposit is required.


  • I have children.  Where can they go to school?

Andrews University campus houses an elementary school, Ruth Murdoch Elementary, and a secondary/high school, Andrews Adventist Academy. The community also includes several elementary schools and a high school. Busing is available.