Moving Benefits

Faculty and Approved Salaried Staff only

Who Pays:

Effective Date:
Upon employment

When an employee is requested by the University to move to a new location, the University may provide moving assistance.

In an effort to help make the relocation transition easier, the Office of Human Resources has summarized the following benefits for employees relocating from within the North American Division. Please remember that moving expenses must be approved by Human Resources prior to the move for any reimbursement to be processed and that all applicable receipts must be submitted for reimbursement.

NEW! Under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017, the personal deduction for relocation expenses and the exclusion from income of employer-paid relocation expenses are suspended from January 1, 2018 through December 31, 2025.  As a result, all moving expenses incurred on or after January 1, 2018, whether reimbursed to an individual or paid to a vendor on behalf of an individual, are taxable income to the individual.

Information provided below pertains to relocation expenses incurred prior to January 1, 2018.

Please be sure to review the Taxation section and note that you need to sign the lower portion of the Moving Amortization Agreement before the University starts your move.

  1. Pre-Move Expenses
    After an offer of employment has been offered and accepted and the employee/employer relationship is established, eligible employees will be reimbursed for a pre-move visit intended to prepare for the relocation of the household and family. Typically, this visit is utilized to secure housing. Eligible expenses under this policy include meals and lodging for up to one week, travel (mileage or airfare) and transportation for employee and spouse.
  2. Relocation of Family Members
    Reasonable and customary expenses for transportation to the new home for eligible employees and their immediate family members will be reimbursed. Airline travel should utilize the lowest logical available fare and where possible, be booked far enough in advance of the travel to guarantee the lowest possible fare. If travelling by car, the travel expense is reimbursed at 100% of the regular mileage allowance to move the employer's car or up to two cars for employee and spouse. *(2)

Mileage allowance include mileage at the university mileage rate, plus highway tolls for the vehicle. The reimbursements are based on traveling by the most direct route and at least 500 miles per day.

The per diem allowance rate for the employee, the spouse, and each accompanying child is determined annually. When fully entertained, the per diem allowance must be declared. Overnight lodging is also reimbursed.

  1. Household Goods
    Andrews University will pay the costs of having your personal goods moved by an experienced moving company via freight, van, or container (for international employees). Prepaid-covered expenses will be reimbursed upon your arrival. Please attach the receipts and submit an expense report for reimbursement. *(1) *(2)

If you wish to move yourself, Andrews University will reimburse you for the expenses associated with the move such as truck rental, gas, mileage, and tolls. It may also include reimbursement for the expenses of workers you might hire to assist you in loading/unloading the truck. If you have more than one car, we would reimburse the rental of a tow bar. If you do move yourself, it would be purely at your discretion because we are prepared to make the arrangements for you with a commercial mover.

  1. Moving Allowance
    A flat amount of $1500 for moving allowance will be paid per employee/family.  This allowance is availble to you after your move to the University.  
  2. Automobile Registration
    Because you are moving to the State of Michigan and will be required to pay registration fees for your vehicle, you may report such expense(s) for up to two cars for reimbursement. This does not include reimbursement for driver's license.
  3. Temporary Living Arrangements
    The university has limited housing available for its employees. To make your transition easier, we recommend you inquire as soon as you know you will be moving to the area with the estimated date of your arrival. The Housing Department prioritizes the applications in the order they are received. You may contact the housing department at (269) 471-6979.

If you need temporary living arrangements upon your arrival on campus, Andrews provides the following courtesies:

  1. Guest Meals:  Andrews University will provide complimentary meals at the cafetaria for a period of 14 days following arrival. After that period a 25% discount is available to employees.
  2. Guest Rooms: Andrews University will provide temporary guest accommodations in guest rooms, dormitory rooms, or such other facilities as may be available up to 14 days. After 14 days, if the accommodation is still available, there will be an assistance of 50% of the usual charge for the facility for an additional six weeks. These accommodations must be arranged for in advance by contacting the Office of Human Resources at or (269) 471-3302.
  1. Duplicate Housing
    When an employee relocates, he/she may be legally required to continue his/her lease or fail to sell or rent his/her home, and is required to pay housing expenses at both his/her former location and his/her new location. Housing assistance is available for both employees whose moving expenses are covered by the university and may be granted to cover the time when payments are being made at both locations. *(3)
    Assistance may include:
    1. The costs of maintaining the residence from which the employee has moved, provided it is placed in the market at its appraised value. If it does not sell after three months, then a certified appraisal must be received. The house may then be advertised for another three months. After six months, the house must be marketed at 95% of the appraised price subject to Compensation Committee approval. Additional time may be approved by the action of the Compensation Committee.
    2. If the house is rented while on the market, the rental income is used to reduce the duplicate housing payment.
    3. The monthly allowance for duplicate housing is based upon the actual costs of principal, interest, taxes, insurance, utilities, and reasonable property maintenance costs.
    4. A shared loss provision may be approved during the first 30 days of the duplicate housing provision, but the cost to the university must not exceed the total of the duplicate housing provision.
    5. A cash-out provision is calculated as follows: 83% of the estimated cost of the allowable duplicate housing benefit for the average period of time a house stays on the market in the given area. Any settlement must be approved by the Compensation Committee and is limited to a maximum of $40,000.

While reported as taxable income, taxes may not be withheld on the reimbursement paid to ordained ministers who are treated as self-employed.
Dual housing assistance and/or its amendments does not apply for rental or income properties.

  1. Moving within Berrien Springs
    The university will pay for any moving from one university house to another at the request of the university, and for the first move into an employee's own home from a rented or university house. *(1)
  1. Non-covered Items
    The university does not move nor reimburse expenses for the moving of animals, firewood, moving of a third car, recreation vehicles, boats, tractors or excessive weight loads, nor materials or liquids that are highly combustible. It is your responsibility to have major appliances such as refridgerators, freezers, stoves, washers and dryers ready for moving prior to the arrival of the moving van. This could mean defrosting refridgerators and freezers and observing that dryers and stoves are properly disconnected. Any costs associated with this preparation, as well as the cost of any packing materials and labor is not reimbursable.
  2. Taxation
    Taxes relating to moving are either classified as taxable or excludable expenses.
    1. Taxable
      These are payments subject to federal and state income tax and FICA (social security and medicare taxes).  You may wish to retain receipts for expenses that may be deductible from your taxes.
      Expenditures under this category include:
      1. House-hunting trip
        All expenses relating to a trip to the Berrien Springs area when the primary purpose of the trip is to seek permanent or temporary housing.
      2. Meals while moving
        Expenses for meals while traveling from the former residence to the Berrien Springs area are reimbursed to the employee on a per diem basis.
      3. Moving allowance
        A lump sum amount paid to the transferred employee to cover miscellaneous, unspecified expenses associated with the move (expense of boxes, packing materials, etc).
      4. Auto registration
        The reimbursement of the cost of registering one or two cars (according to policy) in the State of Michigan that have formerly been registered in another, in which the employee resided prior to move.
      5. Temporary lodging and meals
        Involves full and/or partial assistance with lodging and for meals expenses that are incurred following the move until housing available.
      6. Duplicate housing
        Assistance with the payment of principle, interest, insurance and taxes on a former residene which has not been sold.
      7. Interim move
        One-time assistance, the expense of a local move from a rented or university-owned house to the employee's own residence.
    2. Non-taxable or Excludable
      1. Airfare/mileage for relocation
      2. Moving of household and personal goods by commercial mover
      3. Lodging while moving
  1. Provisions for moving retirees from University service
    The university will cover moving costs up to $15,000 for employees who retire from the university and were moved by the university at the time of employement. This provision is available within the first five years following retirement. *(4)
  2. Miscellaneous
    Questions related to the actual moving of your goods should be directed to the mover. Other questions associated with your move should be directed to the Office of Human Resources. After your move is completed, please submit your receipts and other infomation such as mileage, hotel and others so that reimbursement can be processed promptly.

    Please make copies of your expenses before subitting the originals to our of office if you want to retain them for tax purposes at the end of the year. Moving expenses may be deducted only if you itemize them. It is important for you to keep a record and the receipts of your actual expenses. Items that you will want to carefully record are as follows:
    1. The distance from your former residence to your new location
    2. Actual meal expenses while moving
    3. Actual hotel expenses
    4. Pre-move travel, meals and lodging expenses while searching for a new residence after employment, whether or not they are reimbursed.
    5. Any expense of employed help, etc.
    6. Temporary living expenses in the new location

We want to make your move to Andrews University as pleasant as possible. Please let us know how we can be of help to you. You can reach the Office of Human Resources by phone at (269) 471-3302, fax (269) 471-6293, or email If you are already here at Andrews University, please stop by the Office of Human Resources located in the Administration Building, Room 216.

 (1) AU Working Policy 2:718
 (2) NAD Working Policy Y 23 05
 (3) NAD Working Policy Y16 06
 (4) NAD Working Policy Y 23 10

In order to begin making arrangements for your move, please print out and complete the inventory list form and the Amortization Agreement and return both forms to the Office of Human Resources as soon as possible. You may mail or scan and e-mail them to us at:

Office of Human Resources
Andrews University
Berrien Springs, MI 49104-0840 

You may also fax the forms to us at (269) 471-6293.

This information will then be forwarded to a few moving companies for a quote on the cost and they will then contact you regarding the details (such as pick-up/delivery dates) of your upcoming move.


<< Return to Regular Benefits Overview