Your Benefits: Medical, Disability and Retirement


The University provides a comprehensive health care assistance program for eligible regular employees. A policy summary briefly outlining the benefits available under this Plan is available from Human Resources. Your certificate of coverage will be mailed to you directly from the insurance companies following enrollment. Those documents, by reference, are a part of this Handbook.


The University provides an insurance policy to replace a portion of wages lost by a full-time employee in active employment in the US due to a long-term disability. This policy is secondary to Worker's Compensation and coordinates with any other employer-provided wage replacement program.

If you become disabled while employed by the University, information about the policy and the application is available from the University's Office of Human Resources.


The University participates in the Seventh-day Adventist retirement plan. Minimum benefits are available to workers who have ten full years of denominational service credit.

Since January 1, 1981, service credit may accrue on employment which averages at least 20 hours per week and amounts to at least 1000 hours a calendar year if followed by a year of full-time employment.

Service credit accrues to a total of 40 years. There are specified conditions which must be met to receive benefits. The program is non-contributory, which means you do not pay any premiums. You will receive a brochure at the time you are hired. A copy of the complete retirement plan is available for your inspection in Human Resources.

The Service Record on which your employment with the denomination is recorded is kept in Human Resources. Should you later obtain employment with another denominational organization your record will be sent there. Otherwise it will be held by the University until you apply for retirement. You will be provided a copy of your service record every two years. You may request a copy of your Service Record at any time.


The University participates in the Social Security program of the United States Government and is required by law to deduct the prescribed taxes from eligible employees' paychecks. This is a government program entitling you and your family to benefits upon retirement or disability.


  1. If you are injured. Any injuries or illnesses sustained on the job, no matter how minor, must be reported immediately to your supervisor. If the injury or illness is job related and creates temporary or permanent disability, you may qualify for workers' compensation and allowable medical expenses may be paid by the University. Lost time from work for a covered disability may also qualify you for benefits from workers' compensation. The compensation you receive will be determined under State law. To establish benefits from worker's compensation, contact Human Resources.
  2. Physicians to use. Michigan workers' compensation provides that the employer may designate a physician to treat work-related injuries or illnesses. Andrews University has designated University Medical Specialties for this purpose. Employees who sustain work related injuries or illnesses may not be treated by any provider except University Medical Specialties or providers they designate. The law provides two exceptions to this rule:
    1. Emergency medical treatment where a hospital emergency room is required.
    2. Ten days or more after the injury or illness was reported, an employee may seek treatment from the medical provider of his or her choice. This request for exception must be submitted in writing to the HR director prior to obtaining the desired treatment.
  3. Health care assistance. Your University health care assistance will be continued up to three months while you are not working because of a work-related injury sustained by you in the course of the performance of your employment at Andrews University. The University may, at its discretion, continue your medical coverage beyond the three-month period, taking into consideration your physician's diagnosis and any agreement it may reach with you concerning your employment status. Neither paid leave nor long term sick-time will accrue while you are on workers' compensation leave. Earned sick pay may be used to supplement your income to equal regular pay when lost time occurs because of a work-related injury.
  4. Your recovery and return to work. Your speedy recovery and return to work are of paramount importance. To facilitate this, the University may guide your medical treatment within the scope permitted by law. If you are released to work with medical restrictions, your supervisor will attempt to make accommodations for you to continue your regular job. If that is not possible, you may be given other responsibilities within your department or elsewhere in the University.


As an employee of the University, you may take advantage of the tax sheltered annuity program. Briefly, this plan allows you to authorize the University to withhold an amount you specify from your paycheck and deposit it in an Individual Retirement Account (IRA). You will not be taxed on the amount of the deposit until such time as you may withdraw it. Full information regarding the program is available at the payroll office.


As an employee of the University you may be eligible for unemployment compensation should you become unemployed for certain specified reasons. Your eligibility would be determined by the Michigan Employment Security Commission. The University reimburses the State of Michigan for actual claims paid and there is never any cost to you. The amount and duration of payment during periods of unemployment is determined by state law.

An exception is that student spouses who are hired by the University are not eligible for Unemployment Compensation benefits. Employment is provided for student spouses as a part of the financial assistance to the student and will not be covered by a program of unemployment compensation based on such employment. This exclusion is provided for in the Michigan Employment Security Act C.P.A. 1936, Ex. Sess., No. 1, Sec. 43, as amended; MCLA 421.43.

<< Previous Section // Next Section >>
// Return to Table of Contents //