Through teaching, research, and service, the Andrews University Department of Mathematics seeks to provide leadership in the mathematical sciences by
Preparing students with the mathematical understanding, problem-solving skills, and dispositions that enable them to excel in their chosen careers;
Increasing mathematical and scientific knowledge through publication and presentation;
Supporting the broader mathematics education community and mentoring others for generous service through a committed Christian life.
97% of our graduates since 2011 are employed or in graduate school
|Their CAREERS are in|
|Business||High School Teaching||Risk Management|
|Computer Programming||ITS||Secondary Education|
|Elementary Education||Law||Software Engineering|
|Since 2005 they have attended GRADUATE SCHOOL at|
|American Univ, Washington College of Law||Georgia State University||University of Arizona|
|Andrews University||Indiana University, Bloomington||University of Buffalo|
|Australian National University in Canberra||Loma Linda Medical School||University of California, Davis|
|Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law||Lousiana State Univ, Baton Rouge||University of Illinois, Chicago|
|Central Michigan University||Miami University, Oxford, OH||Univ of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign|
|Colorado State University||New Jersey Institute of Technology||University of Massachusetts|
|Columbia University Law School||Notre Dame University||University of Michigan School of Law|
|Cornell University||Oklahoma State University||University of North Texas, Denton|
|Florida State University||Purdue University||University of Tennessee, Knoxville|
|George Mason University||Roosevelt Univ, Schaumburg, IL||University of Texas, Dallas|
|Georgetown University||Texas Tech University--Lubbock||West Virginia University, Morgantown|
|Since 2008 they have done REUs and SUMMER INTERNSHIPS at|
|Kitt Peak National Observatory||Brooklyn College, Computational Molecular Biophysics Lab|
|NHLBI Inst for Training in Biostats, Boston Univ||Santa Fe Institute|
|Seabird Ecology Team, Andrews University||North Carolina State University|
|Northwestern University||Nanophotonic Material Group, Univ of Central Florida|
|SURF Program, CRISP, Yale University||University of Nebraska, Lincoln|
|University of Michigan||Laser Interferometer Space Antenna, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena|
|University of Guadalajara, Mexico||Cook Nuclear Center, Bridgman, MI|
Latest Research by Students
Student coauthors in bold
1. Atkins, G. J., Sandler, A. G., McLarty, M., Henson, S. M., & Hayward, J. L., 2015. Oviposition behavior in Glaucous-winged Gulls (Larus glaucenscens). Wilson Journal of Ornithology, 127:486-493.
2. Payne, B. G., Henson, S. M., Hayward, J. L., Megna, L. C., & Velastegui Chavez, S. R., 2015.Environmental constraints on gaul-out and foraging dynamics in Galapagos marine iguanas. Journal of Coupled Systems and Multiscale Dynamics. 3:208-218.
3. Navia, B., Burden, C., Steely, T., Hasegawa, H., Cha, E., Henson, S. M., Stout, J., & Atkins, G. J., 2015. Parallel effects of temperature on the male cricket calling song, phonotaxis of the female and the auditory responses of the L3 neurone. Physiological Entomology 40:113–122.
4. Hayward, J. L., Atkins, G. J., Reichert, A. A., & Henson, S. M., 2015. Common ravens (Corvus corax) prey on rhinoceros auklet (Cerorhinca monocerata) eggs, chicks, and possibly adults. Wilson Journal of Ornithology 127:336-339.
5. Kang, J.H., & Tritch, W. 2015. Conditions for existence or nonexistence of positive solutions to elliptic general model. British Journal of Mathematics & Computer Science, 8: 447-457.
6. Seo, Y. L, & Oh, Y. M., 2015. A curve satisfying T/K = S with constant K = 0. American Journal of Undergraduate Research 12: 57-62.
Cheeseboro, B. Poster. "Locating Gravitational Waves with Bayes Wave." Michigan Academy of Science, Arts & Letters Conference, Andrews University, March 13, 2015.
Stafford, I. "The Theological Motivation of Isaac Newton." Honors Scholars & Undergraduate Research Poster Symposium, March 6, 2015.
Cheeseboro, B. Poster. "Locating Gravitational Waves with Bayes Wave." Honors Scholars & Undergraduate Research Poster Symposium, March 6, 2015.
McMearty, M. Poster. "Extracting Gravitational Waves from Noisy Data Using a Maximum Entropy Method Approach." Honors Scholars & Undergraduate Research Poster Symposium, March 6, 2015.
Pearson, B. "Human Diffusion in One Dimension." eigen*Talk, February 27, 2015.
Stafford, I. Presentation. "Optimizing a Doubly Convergent Klystron at NCSU." REU summary for eigen*Talk, February 27, 2015.