Student Insurance

Andrews University (AU) requires all international students to be covered under the Student Health Insurance Plan, (with few exceptions)  and all other students who are enrolled at ½ time status or more, be insured by a policy that provides medical coverage for accident or illness. Since many students are away from home for the first time, it is important that there is some way to pay for these unexpected needs when or if they arise.

It is assumed that high school students who are taking 6 or more collegiate credits, will be fully insured as required by the high school.

Domestic students must provide evidence of alternative insurance or purchase the plan offered by Andrews University.  Please see waiver section for additional information on requirements.

All international students are required to enroll in the Student Health Insurance plan. If you are a Canadian student, or sponsored by an agency or government (J visa), or have an employer funded insurance,  special consideration may be given to accept alternate insurance.

Dependents of US citizens and permanent residents:
Coverage of any dependents is optional for U.S. citizens and permanent residents.

Dependents of international students:
All dependents of international students (J1 and F1 visas) are required to be covered up to their 18th birthday. Dependents of F and J visa holders should be enrolled in an insurance plan and maintain coverage the entire time they are in the United States.  Insurance coverage for dependents of J visa holders should meet the minimum requirements set by the Department of State.

Eligible dependents are the spouse and children up to age 26 years of age.

Dependent eligibility expires concurrently with that of the insured student.

Electing AU Student Insurance
Domestic students will be able to elect coverage as they are registering for classes through Registration Central and the student account will be billed immediately. Cancellations will be accepted until September 30.

Contacting the Insurance Company
Academic Health Plans is the servicing agent for the current student insurance policy. You can contact them for questions regarding your waiver or enrollment.  Benefits are paid through Aetna.  They may be contacted regarding coverage, payments, or any other question related to your insurance account.

Enrollment                                                                             Benefits/Claims

Academic HealthPlans Inc.                                              Aetna Life Insurance Company 
Phone: 1(855) 844-3016                                                   PO Box 91106

PO Box 1605                                                                        El Paso, TX 79998

Colleyville, TX  76034                                                         

                                                                                                  888-407-0427 Customer Service

Website:                  Insurance Brochure Link/2021-22