Transcripts - FAQ's

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I order a transcript?
Former and current Andrews University students and alumni may order a transcript through our site at the National Student Clearinghouse. This site enables you to request a secure, official electronic PDF transcript, as well as one for mailing or pick up here on campus. You would need either your Student ID or a Social Security number for identification purposes. If you have any holds, you would be apprised of that during the entry process. There are now small processing and handling fees (mail/pick up: $3.90; e-mail: $4.90), so be prepared with a credit card number.

How do I check the status of a transcript request?
Students may check the status of a transcript request through our site at the National Student Clearinghouse. Enter the Order ID provided when you originally entered your request, along with your e-mail address. Your order information will be shown.

You may also email to find out the status of your transcript request or call 269-471-3443.

Why can't I make a transcript request over the phone?
We do not take requests over the phone because federal law and FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) require documented authorization by the student to release their information to third parties because of the nature of private information.

Can I receive a copy of my own transcripts?
Financially-clear students may receive official copies of their transcripts by e-mail, mail or in person. If you are not financially clear, Andrews University will NOT send you a copy of your transcripts.

How long does it take to process a transcript?
Generally, a transcript with no holds or problems can be processed for mailing or pick up within 1 business day. Processing times may be affected by observed holidays, e.g., Memorial Day and Independence Day.  Students have two options for mailing: Regular mail service and Express mail by USPS or UPS (international).  Express mail charges are $31.00 for domestic mail and $46.00 for international. E-mail transcripts with no holds, no necessary intervention by Academic Records or no technical difficulties can be delivered same day.

Return to Top

Can we overnight a transcript?
No. The Andrews University Post Office does not offer overnight delivery. Please plan accordingly for your time-sensitive materials.

Is there a charge for transcripts?
There is an initial transcript fee of $1 (for up to 5 transcripts). However, National Student Clearinghouse has additional processing and handling fees: $3.90 total processing fee for mail or pick-up transcripts; $4.90 total processing fee and handling fee for e-mail transcripts. Express mail charges are an additional $31.00 for domestic mail and $46.00 for international.

How many transcripts can a person request?
There is no limit, however, there are charges for transcripts over the amount of 5:
1-5          Free
6             $2.25
7             $7.25
8             $12.25
9             $17.25
10           $22.25

If a student has any type of financial hold, can a transcript be released?
Usually, only if it is for employment purposes. Then a transcript can be sent to the employer but not to the student. Questions regarding release with a financial hold should be directed to Student Financial Services (269-471-3334).

I have a document that needs to be sent with my transcripts.  How do I arrange to have the document included?
Your form can be uploaded through our site at the National Student Clearinghouse for delivery with either an e-mailed or mailed transcript.

What is the National Student Clearinghouse?
Please feel free to visit the website of the National Student Clearinghouse.
The National Student Clearinghouse is a non-profit organization founded by the higher education community which maintains a comprehensive electronic registry of student records that provides a single, automated point-of-contact for organizations and individuals requiring timely, accurate verification of student enrollment, degree, and loan data, and for students requesting transcripts.

Is the National Student Clearinghouse safe? Can I be sure my information will be safe?
Yes, the Clearinghouse is secure and follows FERPA. It is used by 92% of universities and colleges across the country for confidential student information. NSC is also bound by security and confidentiality laws.

Can I still use the Clearinghouse even if I don’t have a Social Security Number?
Yes.  You can also use your student ID number when requesting your student information from the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC).

I don’t have an email address or a credit/debit card. Can I still get an official transcript?
Please e-mail or call 269-471-3443 for requests with these extenuating circumstances.

I need an unofficial transcript. Can I request that through the Clearinghouse?
No.  Unofficial transcripts are not processed through the NSC. Please e-mail or call 269-471-3443 for requests with these extenuating circumstances.

Can transcripts be emailed or sent electronically?
Yes, through our site at the National Student Clearinghouse.

How do I know other schools will accept my Andrews University credits?
Please note that the decision to accept an institution’s academic credits is at the sole discretion of the receiving institution.  While Andrews University is fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and expects that its credits will be recognized by other colleges and universities, it cannot compel another institution to accept transfer credits.

Can I get a transcript that I sent to Andrews from another university?
No. If a current or former student has in the past requested official transcripts of other universities to be sent to us, we do not release these transcripts because the transfer credit is generated to show equivalent Andrews credit.  They need to request a transcript from their previous university.

Return to Top