Declared Undergraduate Students

"I have decided on a major"


Who is my advisor and where is he/she located?

A student may have several advisors depending on his/her educational goals.  A faculty advisor for each major, a pre-professional advisor (pre-med, pre-dent, pre-law, secondary education), and/or a Student Success Center advisor.  You can benefit from advice from all these advisors!

If you have declared your major, you will an e-mail confirmation of your advisor assignment.  This is the person in the academic department who can best assist you.

To access this information, new students should:

  •  From the main Andrews University web page, log in to Vault  Activate your username if you 
      have not  already done so.  Log on using your Andrews username and 
  • Click on the preVue link.  Follow instructions to get to your profile page. 
  • Choose the appropriate semester at the top of the page- your academic advisor and contact information appear on the right, just below your application information
  • If an advisor’s name does not show, is incorrect, or if you have questions, click on the corrections box link to send an e-mail to Student Success.

Returning students should note that:

  • Your academic advisor will remain the same unless you have made a change to your major or unless your department has an advising program in which students change advisors at a specific point in their education
  • If you have made a change and want to verify that the change is in effect, check your academic record on your iVue profile

                     1. From the main Andrews University web page, log in to Vault 

                     2. Log on using your Andrews username and password and go to the
                         iVue link.  Follow instructions to get to your profile page.  If your
                         current academic information for a specific semester is not correct, 
                         please contact Student Success at or call 269-
                         471-6096 to check on the status of the requested change.

If you have not yet declared your major, but have chosen one, you are encouraged to officially declare your major. This allows you to receive the information you need for your major and to be assigned an advisor.  Contact Student Success at 269-471-6096 or  to declare your major.  You are also encouraged to talk to advisors about majors or minors that you are interested in exploring.

When should I meet with my academic advisor?

 You should meet with your advisor at least once a semester and whenever:

  • You need help planning classes before registration
  • You need to register for classes
         Registration at Andrews is a two step process- you meet with your advisor,
         log-in to Registration Central, and your advisor opens registration access for you
  • You do not know how to get help for a particular situation
  • You want to discuss problems which affect your academic performance, including your academic progress or your personal strengths and weaknesses
  • You want to know how adding, dropping, or auditing courses will affect your academic standing, financial aid, insurance, or other issues
  • You are concerned about your study skills, having difficulties in your coursework, or are on academic probation
  • You want to discuss career choices or graduate programs
  • You want to know what minors would complement your major
  • You are considering changing directions, majors, minors, and/or interests
Questions to ask your advisor

 How do I:

Where do I:

What is:

  • the difference between a Bachelor of Arts (BA) and a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree?
  • the definition of academic probation?

Who can:

  • help me with my study skills, time management, goal setting, and test taking methods?
  • help me understand my Degree Progress (CAPP) report?
  • make sure that I am taking the courses I need?
What courses should I take?

If you have chosen a major area of study, you should consult with your major advisor to determine what sequence of coursework to take in order to meet degree requirements. Contact your major department for more specific information and to set up a meeting with an advisor. 

Students who have decided upon their major will also take courses that meet the General Education requirements for their major. General Education classes span a variety of disciplines. General Education is designed to foster lifelong learning and to prepare students to be well-informed, participating members of society by having a knowledge of many areas.

Your advisor will help you plan for General Education classes and your major requirements in a way that will best benefit you.

How do I explore possible careers?

You should meet with your major department and advisor to discuss your interests and goals within the field you have chosen. 

You can also visit the Career Services page.

The career counselor in the Counseling & Testing Center (Bell Hall Room 123) can help you explore your interests, abilities, and personality style as they relate to career choices. Please contact Counseling and Testing at (269) 471-3470 for additional information or consult their web-site

Where do I go for Tutoring or Writing assistance?  Where can I get help with my Study Skills?

The Student Success Center offers support services including individual tutoring (see Tutorial Services), developing study skills, and other special programs.

Student Success also offers workshops and handouts to assist with improving study and test taking skills. Go to Success Tools for more information.

The Math Center, located in the Mathematics Department, assists students with university math class homework.  The Center is closed during the summer and holidays. For more information and the most current schedule, call the Mathematics Department at 269-471-3423 or email:

The Writing Center has peer consultants who are trained to assist with revisions of writing assignments in a variety of disciplines. Stop by and sign up for an appointment or call 471-3358 to schedule a meeting with a consultant.

Some academic departments offer group tutoring - students should check with their professor for more information.