Bible Lands Tour Itinerary 2012
May 13 Sun Depart Chicago – Fly to Cairo via Istanbul
TK 6 ORD-IST 22:20/*17:05 + TK 8062 IST-CAI 20:00/22:10 flight.
May 14 Mon Arrive Cairo via Istanbul at 22:10
Our representative will meet you with "ANDREWS UNIVERSITY" sign. Meet and transfer to the hotel. http://www.horizonpyramidshotel.com/
May 15 Tue Cairo
Visit Giza Pyramids, Egyptian Museum. Overnight Train to Aswan. (B,L,D); http://www.sleepingtrains.com/
May 16 Wed Aswan – Abu Simbel – Aswan to embark ship
Arrive in Aswan. Roundtrip flight to Abu Simbel. Visit Abu Simbel; Elephantine Island; High Dam; Unfinished Obelisk; Sail by Felucca and view of Agha Khan Mausoleum. Embark Ship to begin Nile River cruise. (B,D); http://www.songofegypt.net/Nile/index.htm
May 17 Thu Aswan – Esna
Visit Kom Ombo; temple shared by two gods Sobek and Haroeris; Edfu; temple of Horus. Overnight Ship Cruise. (B,L,D).
May 18 Fri Esna – Luxor
Visit East Bank - Karnak and Luxor Temple. Overnight Ship Cruise. (B,L,D). For more on Luxor-Karnak see http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2076870476302.2115953.1081181788&type=1
May 19 Sat Luxor – Train to Cairo
Sabbath Worship at the Ship; Visit West Bank; Valley of the Kings, Deir el-Bahari (Queen Hapshetsut’s Funerary Temple), Colossi Memnon), Madinet Habu (Temple of Ramesses III), Ramesseum. Sleeping Train to Cairo. (B,D).
May 20 Sun Cairo – Sinai – St Catherine
Visit Old Cairo - Khan El Khalili Bazaar morning. Coach to St Catherine-Sinai following the probable route of the Exodus; Suez underground tunnel, Oyoun/Ayin Musa, Ras Sudr; Wadi Feiran Oasis (Rephidim), Mt. Sinai, Saint Catherine’s Monastery climbing Sinai. (B,L,D).
For more on Cairo see: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1390004905092.2056000.1081181788
On Red Sea – Sinai see: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1402139288444.2057042.1081181788
May 21 Mon St Catherine – Sinai – Aqaba – Petra
Climb Mt. Sinai 1-6 am; travel to Gulf of Aqaba - Ferry to Aqaba. Ras el-Safsaf, Plain of Er Rahah; Jebel Musa east to Nuweiba, Gulf of Aqaba to Aqaba, and drive to Petra. Overnight Petra. (B,D); http://www.asiarooms.com/en/jordan/petra/191105-la_maison_hotel_petra.html
May 22 Tue Petra – Full day at Petra
After breakfast, today visit the red rose city Petra, the biggest attraction of Jordan. Petra was first established around the 6th century B.C. by the Nabatean Arabs, a nomadic tribe who settled in the area and founded a commercial empire. You can start the trip on horseback or by foot to the canyon, the so called Siq, and then walk to the most beautiful monument: the Treasury. From here you explore the city by yourself; you can see the Street of Facades, the Royal Tombs and Pharaoh's Castle, back to hotel in Petra, overnight. (B, D).
May 23 Wed Petra – Allenby Bridge – Jerusalem
After breakfast, transfer to Allenby Bridge. Cross to Israel; Ein Gedi; Swim in Dead Sea, Masada, Qumran; Ascend to Jerusalem. Overnight Jerusalem. (B,L,D); http://www.park-hotel-jerusalem.com/
For more on Jerusalem see: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2076863316123.2115951.1081181788&type=1
May 24 Thu Jerusalem
Full and heavy day Jerusalem View Old City from Mt. of Olives; walk down the mountain via Dominus Flevit Church to Gethsemane; Church of the Nations; past the Golden and Herod’s Gates; option of walking through Hezekiah’s Water Tunnel or shopping in Old City; City of David excavations (including Hezekiah’s Water tunnel entrance, Pool of Bethesda, Ophel, and Warren Shaft); Western Wall excavations; Haram esh-Sharif (Temple Mount); Western Wall and Rabbinic Tunnel; Church of St. Anne’s and Pool of Bethesda; Via Dolorosa and Church of the Holy Sepulchre; Jewish Quarter, Hezekiah’s Broad Wall, Cardo; the Cenacle (Room of Last Supper);walk on old City walls and back to hotel. Tonight, Light Show in David's Tower.(It’s a lot… we will try to do as much as time permits, the sites are not in order). Overnight in Jerusalem. (B,L,D).
May 25 Fri Jerusalem Old City – Bethlehem
Walking tour, Bethlehem and Fields of the Shepherds; Ramat Rachel; Israel Museum (Shrine of the Book, Model City Jerusalem); Yad Vashem; Garden Tomb for Communion; walk to Western Wall for welcome of Sabbath. Overnight Jerusalem. (B,L,D).
May 26 Sat Jerusalem – Tiberias – Galilee
Jericho, Wadi Qilt (view Monastery of St. George or Beth Shean); Participate Baptism in the Jordan River, Sea of Galilee Boat ride. Sabbath worship in the boat. Capernaum, Mt. of Beatitudes; 1st Cen. fishing boat at Kibbutz Ginnosar. Overnight Tiberias. (B,L,D); http://www.donagracia.com/pages/he/df-hbit.php; http://www.facebook.com/pages/Casa-Dona-Gracia-Hotel-Museum/130984656980719; read the story of Doña Gracia – use Google Translator if your modern Hebrew is not polished yet.
May 27 Sun Tiberias – Tel Aviv
Nazareth, Megiddo, Haifa; Mt. Carmel (Deir el-Muhraqa), Caesarea; Swim Mediterranean. Overnight Tel Aviv. (B,L,D); http://www.hotelmetropolitan.co.il/
May 28 Mon Tel Aviv – Fly Istanbul
Transfer to Tel Aviv Airport for TK 793 05:00/07:15 am flight to Istanbul. Meet and transfer to the old city to visit the Hippodrome Square, Sultanahmet Mosque, Topkaki Palace, the Archaeological Museum containing important biblical artifacts; Free evening Istakli Cadassi - Galata Tower. Overnight Istanbul. (B,D); http://www.grandhalic.com/en/
For more on Istanbul see: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1846032065486.2101924.1081181788
On the Archeological Museum see: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1845967663876.2101922.1081181788&type=1
May 29 Tue Istanbul
St Chora Church, Hagia Sophia Church Museum; Grand Bazaar, Spicy Bazaar; Night Boat Bosphorus. Arrive Hotel. Overnight Istanbul. (B,D).
May 30 Wed Istanbul – Fly Cappadocia
TK 2010 07:20/08:45 am flight to Cappadocia. Full day exploring Cappadocia. Visit Goreme Open Air Museum with rock Churches, the natural Citadel of Uchisar and the monastic Zelve Valley. Overnight Cappadocia. Optional Evening Folk dances. (B,D); http://www.dedeman.com/us/hotels-resorts/home-page/dedeman-cappadocia-hotel-convention-center.html
May 31 Thu Cappadocia
Optional Hot Air balloon in early morning. Full day exploring Cappadocia. Visit Kaymakli Underground City; Carpet and Ceramic places. Optional Whirling Dervish Show in the evening. (B,D).
Jun 01 Fri Cappadocia – Konya – Pamukkale
Drive to Pamukkale via Konya (Iconium). Overnight in Pamukkale. (B,D); http://www.lycusriver.com/lycusen/
Jun 02 Sat Hierapolis – Laodicea – Aphrodisias – Pamukkale
Visit Hierapolis in the morning. Drive to Laodicea and see the newly excavated site. Sabbath Worship in Laodicea. Continue to Aphrodisias to see the largest Stadium of Asia Minor, Theater, Agora and more. Return to Pamukkale. (B,D); www.surmelihotels.com
Jun 03 Sun Philadelphia – Sardis – Smyrna – Izmir
Drive to Alasehir to see the Philadelphia Church. Continue to Sardis and see the Synagogue, Gymnasium, and the Temple of Diana. Proceed to Izmir to see the Smyrna Agora and the new excavation area. Overnight Izmir. (B,D); www.otelkaraca.com.tr
Jun 04 Mon Izmir – Pergamum – Thyatira – Kusadasi
Depart to Pergamum to visit the Acropolis. Group will take the new cable car up to Acropolis. Then drive to Akhisar to see the Thyatira Church. Dinner and overnight in Kusadasi. (B,D); http://www.surmelihotels.com/eng/SurmeliEfes/default.asp
Jun 05 Tue Ephesus – Kusadasi
Full day tour in Ephesus. Visit the ancient city, the Terrace Houses; walk up to the hill to visit the Cave Church of Paul and Thecla which is closed to the public. Then visit Archaeology Museum and the Basilica of John. Overnight Kusadasi. (B,D).
For more on Ephesus see: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2076831995340.2115949.1081181788&type=1
Jun 06 Wed Kusadasi – Private Ferry to Patmos – Overnight Ferry to Athens
07:00 am take the private ferry to Patmos. We arrive at Patmos at 11:00 am, this beautiful and almost mysterious rocky island where the apostle John was exiled and wrote the Book of Revelation. We will drive up to the Monastery of John the Evangelist where we have a wonderful view of the island. We also visit the Grotto of the Revelation. Then, take the overnight ferry to Athens. (B)
Jun 07 Thu Athens – Corinth – Athens
Arrive Athens Piraeus Port at 06:00 am. Meet and depart Athens via the Saronic Gulf, short stop at the Corinthian Canal for photographs. Continue to ancient Corinth, where the apostle Paul lived and preached for eighteen months. Stop en route to Athens to visit the two famous ancient ports of Lechaion and Cenchreae. We return to Athens for our afternoon visit including many amazing sights such as the famous Acropolis with visits to the Parthenon and Erechtheion. We then go to nearby Mars?? Hill (Areopagus) (Acts 17:22) where the Apostle Paul delivered his well known sermon. Our tour ends with the highlights of modern Athens: passing by the tomb of the Unknown Soldier, Parliament House, Presidential Palace, Panathenian Stadium, Temple of Olympian Zeus, the Academy, the University and the National Library. Dinner and overnight at Hotel in Athens. (B,D); http://www.emmantina.gr/
June 08 Fri Athens – Meteora – Kalambaka
Drive to Kalambaka to visit Meteora Monasteries famous for their Byzantine museums perched precariously on huge finger-like rocks, exhibiting superb icons, old manuscripts and unique mosaics and frescoes. Dinner and overnight in Kalambaka. (B,D); http://www.hotel-orfeas.gr/index_en.htm
For more on Meteora see: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1388947318653.2055922.1081181788
June 09 Sat Kalambaka – Delphi – Athens
Sabbath Worship in Meteora-Kalambaka area. Drive to Delphi to visit the archaeological site of Delphi. Continue to Athens for dinner and overnight. (B,D); http://www.emmantina.gr/
June 10 Sun Athens departure
Transfer from hotel to Athens airport for TK 1848 07:45/09:00 flight to Istanbul. Take the connection flight TK 5 11:20 am to Chicago. Arrive at Chicago at 15:15 same day afternoon.
STUDY TOUR COST:
6 Undergraduate Religion credits plus a travel fee of $1,630 paid in three installments. This fee includes a General Summer Registration of $115.
- Interview & Registration $600 – before September 9, 2011 – schedule an interview with Dr. Jeroncic). All Refundable until January 31, 2012.
- Airlines ticket reservation; $500 – November 21, 2011 – Non- refundable
- Final payment, $530 & financial clearance signed by Student Finance Office - January 31, 2012.
All Inclusive, tickets, hotels, cruises, insurance (Adventist Risk Management); entrance museums, guided tour and more, per person in double occupancy. Additional fee of $1,580 for a Single Room Supplement -- Air Taxes may be subject to change in 2012.
CLASSES: REGISTER for 6 Credits Summer 2012 – No exceptions.
RELB210 Jesus in His Time and Ours (3).
RELT250 Personal Spirituality and Faith (3).
RELG360 Following the Steps of Moses, Paul and Jesus (3).
- 01 Night in Cairo at Horizon Pyramids or similar on HB Basis.
- 02 Nights at Sleeping train on HB Basis.
- 03 Nights at M/S Nile Marques or similar on FB Basis.
- 03 Transfers in Cairo (Apt/Htl/Sat/Htl).
- Transfer in Aswan, Luxor.
- Transfer from Cairo to St. Catherine, and Nuweiba port.
- F/D Pyramids, Egyptian museum with lunch at local restaurant.
- H/D visit khan El Khalili.
- Visit high dam, Elephantine Island High dam, unfinished obelisk Felucca trip.
- Visit Abu Simbel by flight.
- Visit Komombo and Edfu temples.
- Visit Luxor & Karnak temples.
- Visit West Bank (Valley of the kings, Hatshepsut temple , colossi of Memnon and Habu temple).
- Visit St. Catherine Monastery, climb Musa Gebel - Catherine Mountain.
- Extra lunch on the way to St. Catherine on 13/05 in Ras Suder on the way to St. Catherine sea Ayoun Mousa, Ras Suder and Wadi Feiran.
- Ferry boat ticket from Nubiea to Aqaba.
- Tips to Driver, Guide, and restaurants.
- 2 Nights at 3 star La Maison Hotel in Petra or similar.
- Meet and assist upon arrival and departure.
- Transportation in modern AC large coach as mentioned above.
- Entrance fees to Petra.
- Professional English speaking guide.
- Horse riding in Petra (700 m).
- Welcome Kit per person to include maps and brochures about Jordan.
- All applicable taxes including 08% governmental tax and 10% service charges / at present. .
- Tips to Tour Guide, Bus Driver and hotel staff
- 3 Nights at 3 star hotel in Jerusalem http://www.park-hotel-jerusalem.com/
- 1 Night at 3 star hotel in Tiberias http://www.donagracia.com/DonaGracia/index_eng.html
- 1 Night at 3 star hotel in Tel Aviv http://www.hotelmetropolitan.co.il/
- Meet and assist upon arrival and departure.
- Daily breakfast and dinner at the hotels.
- Entrance fees to sites as per itinerary.
- Licensed English speaking Tour Guide throughout tour.
- Transportation in air-conditioned tourist coach during tour.
- Tips to Tour Guide, Bus Driver and hotel staff.
- 5 light lunches at local restaurants.
- 2 Nights at 4 star Grand Halic Hotel in Istanbul www.grandhalic.com
- 2 Nights at 5 star Dedeman Hotel in Cappadocia www.dedemanhotels.com
- 2 Nights at 4 star Lycus River Hotel in Pamukkale www.lycusriver.com
- 1 Night at 4 star Karaca Hotel in Izmir www.otelkaraca.com.tr
- 2 Night at 4 star Surmeli Efes Hotelwww.surmelihotels.com
- Daily open buffet breakfast and dinners at the hotels.
- All transfers and transportation by AC Deluxe private Bus with driver.
- All Entry Fees to the sites and museums.
- English Speaking Tour Guide throughout the tour.
- Boat Tour – Bosphorus in Istanbul.
- Service charges and local taxes.
- Tips to Tour Guide, Bus Driver and hotel staff.
- Private Ferry from Kusadasi to Patmos.
- Guided Patmos Tour.
- Patmos – Athens Overnight Ferry - reserved seat Air-type.
- 3 Night at 3 star Parthenon Hotel in Athenshttp://www.emmantina.gr
- 1 Night at 3 star hotel in Kalambaka (Meteora); http://www.hotel-orfeas.gr/index_en.htm
- Daily breakfast and dinners at the hotels.
- All Entry Fees to the sites and museums.
- English Speaking Tour guide.
- All transfers and transportation by private AC Bus.
- Tips to Greek Cruise Ship staff and the Patmos guide and driver ($30 per person).
- Lunches which are not listed above and all drinks.
Border fees needed in cash upon arrival for US citizens – check the requirements of Visa and fees for your nationality – Canadians included (values in US dollars).
- Turkey: 20; Egypt : 15 ; Jordan: 30 – Departure tax: must pay 12 per person for departure from Allenby Bridge; Israel: 25 ; Greece: 20.
- Any type of personal expenses.
- Any expenses not mentioned in the above "included" list.
- Tips to Greek Guide and driver for land tours.
- Dinner during the Patmos-Athens ferry.
- Supplement for AA4 Cabin Ferry - $37 (inside); $51 (ocean view) per person.
CONTACT INFORMATION: Department of Religion and Biblical Languages.
- Dr. Ante Jeroncic, 269-471-3187, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Rubén Muñoz-Larrondo, 269-471-3185, email@example.com
- Ms. Autumn Osterman, Religion Secretary, 269-471-3177, firstname.lastname@example.org
TOUR COMPANY:Tutku Tours
- Head Office:Gaziosmanpasa Bulvari 3/303 Izmir - TURKEY 35210
- Phone: +90 (232) 441-8676 / 77 / 35; Fax: +90 (232) 441-8636 E-Mail:email@example.com
On Egyptian objects – Global Museum: http://www.globalegyptianmuseum.org/default.aspx
On old pictures of Bible lands: http://www.lifeintheholyland.com/