DEPARTMENT OF RELIGION AND BIBLICAL LANGUAGES
BIBLE LANDS STUDY TOUR 2014
Turkey – Egypt – Israel
Intensive Classes: May 5 – 9
Tour: May 11 – June 8
Rahel Schafer, PhD ABD, Dean Keith Mattingly, PhD
& Rubén Muñoz-Larrondo, PhD
WEEK 1: Turkey
May 11 Sun Depart Chicago – Fly Izmir via Istanbul.
Bus leaves Andrews University at 5:30 pm. Depart Chicago by Turkish Airlines, TK 6 at 22:15 pm.
May 12 Mon Arrive Istanbul at 17:05 – Fly Izmir
Our representative will meet you at Istanbul Airport, after the customs and baggage claim with an ANDREWS UNIVERSITY sign. Walk together to the domestic terminal. Fly Izmir by TK2336 departing at 19:00. Arrive Izmir at 20:05. Your tour guide Macit will meet you after the baggage claim with an ANDREWS UNIVERSITY sign. Transfer to the hotel for dinner and overnight Izmir. (D); www.otelkaraca.com.tr
May 13 Tue Smyrna – Izmir – Pergamum – Thyatira – Kusadasi
Izmir to see the Smyrna Agora and the new excavation area. Depart to Pergamum to visit the Acropolis and Aesclepium. Group will take the new cable car up to Acropolis. Then drive to Akhisar to see the Thyatira Church. Dinner and overnight in Kusadasi. (B,D); http://www.surmelihotels.com/izmir/welcome.aspx
May 14 Wed Ephesus – Kusadasi
Full day tour in Ephesus. Visit the ancient city, the Terrace Houses; walk up to the hill (20 minutes – the rest may wait at the beautiful terraces) to visit the Cave Church of Paul and Thecla which is closed to the public. Then visit Archaeology Museum and the Basilica of John. Overnight Kusadasi. (B,D).
May 15 Thu Kusadasi – Dydima, Miletus and Priene.
Visit the Temple of Apollo in Didyma, the theater of Miletus where Paul preached, and the Greco-Roman site of Priene. Overnight in Kusadasi. (B,D)
May 16 Fri Sardis - Philadelphia - Aphrodisias – Pamukkale
Depart from Kusadasi to continue to Sardis and see the Synagogue, Gymnasium, and the `Stadium of Asia Minor, Theater, Agora and more. Overnight Pamukkale. (B,D); Lycus River Thermal Hotel. http://www.lycusriver.com/lycusriver/index.php/en
May 17 Sat Laodicea – Sabbath Worship – Heriapolis – Pamukkale
Laodicea and see the newly excavated site. Sabbath Worship in Laodicea. Lunch boxes. Hike to visit Hierapolis and Pamukkale in the afternoon, or free afternoon at the hotel.
WEEK 2: Turkey
May 18 Sun Pamukkale – Antalya- Perga- Lystra , Iconium –– Konya
Visit Antalya, Perga, Aspendos or Side or Beach and travel to Lystra and Iconium (Acts 13:51; 14:1-21; 16:2, II Tim. 3:11). (Acts 14:6-21; 16:1-2, II Tim. 3:11). Overnight Konya (B,D), http://www.dedeman.com/hotel-konya/dedeman-konya.aspx
May 19 Mon Konya- Tarsus, Adana –Antioch Hatay.
Depart Iconium-Konya and drive to Tarsus; visit the birthplace of St. Paul (10 AD) and drink from the well of the blessed water. Continue driving to Adana, resting and enjoying the scenery that Paul have crossed many times. Overnight in Antioch-Hatay. (B,D), http://www.anemonhotels.com/otel.aspx?otel=ANEMONANTAKYA
May 20 Tue Antioch- Gaziantep - River Euphrates – Urfa
Half Day Tour in Antioch (Acts 11:19-27; 13:1; 14:26, 15:22-35, Gal. 2:11, II Tim. 3:11). Antioch was the headquarters of St. Paul’s Missionary Journeys. It was the third largest city of the Roman Empire, rivaled only by Rome and Alexandria. St. Peter, St. Paul, St. Barnabas and St. Timothy all preached in this place where Jesus’ followers were first called Christians. Visit the cave church where St. Peter first celebrated Mass. South of the church, the Iron Gate was one of the actual entrances of Biblical Antioch; strolling through the old part of the city, you cannot help recalling the saints who walked these old streets, for little has changed since that time. After lunch, drive to land of Abraham, Gaziantep, visit Mosaic Museum, short visit to the millenarian River Euphrates, the natural border of West-and-East of antiquity. Arrive to Urfa, Overnight. (B,D), http://www.dedeman.com/hotel-sanliurfa/dedeman-sanliurfa.aspx
May 21 Wed Urfa – Harran – Gobeklitepe – Kahta
During morning visit Harran- The place of Abraham, Laban, Jacob, Leah and Rachel (Gen 28:10), later travel to Gobekli tepe, the oldest temple of the world, – Then continue to Kahta to visit the gigantic statues of Mount Nemroud. Overnight Kahta (B, D), http://www.hoteleuphratnemrut.com/
May 22 Thu Kahta –Cappadocia
Driving day, passing the river sources of Euphrates and Tigris, Overnight Dedeman Cappadocia, http://www.dedeman.com/hotel-cappadocia/dedeman-cappadocia.aspx
May 23 Fri Full day Cappadocia
Full day exploring Cappadocia. Optional Hot Air balloon in early morning. Visit Kaymakli Underground City; the natural Citadel of Uchisar, climb the castle, Carpet and Ceramic places. Optional Turkish Bath. (B,D). Overnight Dedeman Cappadocia
May 24 Sat Cappadocia
Visit Goreme Open Air Museum with rock Churches, Sabbath Worship, Lunch Box and Hiking and meditate at the monastic Zelve Valley in the afternoon. Optional Whirling Dervish Show in the evening. Overnight Dedeman Cappadocia
WEEK 3: Turkey – Egypt – Israel.
May 25 Sun Early flight to Istanbul.
Early flight to Istanbul, TK 2011 09:05/10:35 am. Visit Hagia Sophia, Archaeology Museum and the Spice Bazaar. Late afternoon Bosphorus Boat Tour. Dinner and overnight at Grand Halic Hotel (B,D); http://www.grandhalic.com/en/
May 26 Mon Istanbul full day
Visit St.Chora Church, famous for its beautiful mosaics. Drive to the Old city to visit the Hippodrome Square, Sultanahmet Mosque, Topkaki Palace, Grand Bazaar. Free evening Istakli Cadassi - Galata Tower, Overnight Grand Halic Hotel. (B,D); http://www.grandhalic.com/en
May 27 Tue Istanbul – Cairo.
Early transfer to Airport, fly to Cairo, TK 690 06:45-07:55 am. Full Day Cairo tour. Visit Pyramids & Egyptian museum including the Mummies Room. Khan El Khalili Bazaar, Papyrus Factory. Pyramids Light Show? Evening activity. Overnight Cairo. (B,L,D) http://www.horizonpyramidshotel.com
May 28 Wed Cairo – Fly Luxor
Transfer Airport for flight MS 353 08:25-09:35 am. Visit East Bank - Karnak and Luxor Temple. Evening optional Luxor Bazaar. Parfume factory. Felucca ride. Overnight Luxor (B,D), http://www.steigenberger.com/en/Luxor
May 29 Thu West Bank.
Visit West Bank; Valley of the Kings, Deir el-Bahari (Queen Hapshetsut’s Funerary Temple), Colossi Memnon), Madinet Habu (Temple of Ramesses III), Ramesseum. After Dinner fly to Sharm El-Shaik - Sinai MS440 direct; 21:25-22:15. Travel to St Catherine in preparation to climb Mt. Sinai. Short Overnight St Catherine Hotel. (B, D)., http://www.catherineplaza.com/
May 30 Fri Sinai Worship and St Catherine – Travel Israel – Jerusalem
Climb Mt. Sinai 02-6 am; Worship at Sinai, St Catherine– Burning Bush; Brunch at the hotel; Leave hotel at 11am, Rest as we travel to Gulf of Aqaba - Ferry to Aqaba. Nuweiba to Eilat, cross to Israel and drive to Jerusalem. Overnight Jerusalem for the next five nights. (B,D); Prima Royale JLM http://www.prima-hotels-israel.com/jerusalem-hotels/prima-royale-jerusalem-hotel
May 31 Sat Jerusalem
Attend Heichal Shlomo Synagogue, Israel, early service later to move to our SDA Church for Shabbat Worship, Lunch Boxes, eat at church; Afternoon Garden Tomb for Communion; Free Afternoon,
WEEK 4: Israel.
June 1 Sun Jerusalem
Full and heavy day Jerusalem, Haram esh-Sharif and Al-Aqsa Mosque; View Old City from Mt. of Olives; walk down the mountain via Dominus Flevit Church to Gethsemane; Church of the Nations; past the Golden and Herod’s Gates; Enter Stephen’s gate, Church of St. Anne’s and Pool of Bethesda; Via Dolorosa, Lithostrotos, and Church of the Holy Sepulchre; Lunch in old City. Continue in the City of David excavations, including Hezekiah’s Water tunnel entrance and walking through Hezekiah’s Water Tunnel; Tomb of David, the Cenacle (Room of Last Supper); Jewish Quarter walk on old City walls and back to hotel. Tonight, Light Show in David's Tower Overnight in Jerusalem. (B,D).
June 2 Mon Bethlehem, Jerusalem Old City.
Israel Museum and Model City Jerusalem. Visit Herodion and travel to Bethlehem and Fields of the Shepherds; Ramat Rachel; Lunch at Bethlehem, (also visit Hebron if time permits) Afternoon, Western Wall excavations- Davidson Center; Western Wall and Rabbinic Tunnel; Free time shopping in Old City, Return hotel for Dinner and overnight.(B,D).
June 3 Tue Masada, Qumran, Ein Gedi and Dead Sea, Ashkelon
Early Departure to Masada, Ein Gedi to later Swim in Dead Sea, Lunch at beach. Afternoon Qumran; and travel to Ashkelon, Arrive hotel, free Evening, Overnight Jerusalem. (B, D).
June 4 Wed Jerusalem – Tiberias – Galilee
Wadi Qilt, view Monastery of St. George, Good Samaritan story ; Participate Baptism in the Jordan River, south site, visit Jericho ruins, Lunch at Jericho. Afternoon, Sea of Galilee, 1st century fishing boat at Kibbutz Ginnosar- Jesus’ boat and Boat ride. Capernaum, Taghba Overnight Tiberias. (B,D); Ron Beach Hotel http://www.ronbeachhotel.com
June 5 Thu Tiberias – Tel Dan – Caesarea Philippi.
Mount of Beatitudes; Drive through the Jordan River, Visit Hazor, Tel Dan, Caesarea Philippi, and Kursi if time permits.. Overnight Tiberias. (B,D).
June 6 Fri Tiberias – Nazareth -Megiddo, Mt Carmel – Tel Aviv.
Quick visit to Nazareth Church Anunciation, spent time Nazareth Village. Megiddo, Lunch at Megiddo, Mt. Carmel (Deir el-Muhraqa),. Early Dinner 6pm then travel to Jerusalem to visit Western Wall for welcome of Sabbath. Overnight Tel Aviv (B,D). Metropolitan Hotel Tel Aviv, http://www.hotelmetropolitan.co.il/?page_id=2
June 7 Sat Tel Aviv - Caesarea Maritima.
Attend Tel Aviv Seventh-day Adventist Church for Shabbat Worship, Lunch Boxes, eat at church; Afternoon visit Caesarea Maritima- Shabbat Vesper at the Aqueduct; Return to Hotel for Dinner and free rest evening, (B, D).
June 8 Sun Tel-Aviv – Istanbul – Chicago – Andrews.
Early flight 7:15 am to Istanbul, Chicago TK 5, 11:20, Arrive at 3:30 pm. Andrews Bus, 4:30 -7:30 pm. arrive at Andrews University.
STUDY TOUR COST:
Six undergraduate Religion credits plus a travel fee of $1,630 paid in three installments.
- Interview & Registration $400 – by September 30, 2013. Please schedule an interview with Prof. Schafer. This fee is refundable until Nov 1, 2013.
- Airlines ticket reservation; $600 – Dec 13 – Non- refundable
- Final payment, $630 & financial clearance signed by Finance Office - January 31, 2014.
All Inclusive, tickets, hotels, insurance (Adventist Risk Management); entrance museums, guided tour and more, per person in double occupancy. Additional fee of $1,490 for a Single Room Supplement.
Classes to be registered for Summer 2014
- RELG360-040 Biblical Backgrounds (3), Prof. Rahel Schafer. This course may apply to RELB111 or RELB112 Introduction to OT and NT.
- RELT250 Personal Spirituality and Faith (3), Dr. Keith Mattingly.
- RELB210 Jesus in His Time and Ours (3), Dr. Rubén Muñoz-Larrondo.
- Special cases for different classes must be authorized by Dr. Paul Petersen, Chair –Religion.
This cost includes the following itemization per country:
- 1 Night at 4 star Karaca Hotel in Izmir www.otelkaraca.com.tr
- 3 Nights at 4 star Surmeli Hotel in Kusadasi www.surmelihotels.com
- 2 Nights at 4 star Lycus River Hotel in Pamukkale www.lycusriver.com
- 1 Night at 4 star Dedeman Hotel in Konya, http://www.dedeman.com/hotel-konya/dedeman-konya.aspx
- 1 Night at 4 star Anemon Hotel in Antioch, http://www.anemonhotels.com/otel.aspx?otel=ANEMONANTAKYA
- 1 Night at 4 star Dedeman Hotel in Urfa www.dedemanhotels.com
- 1 Night at 3 star Euphrat Hotel in Kahta www.hoteleuphratnemrut.com
- 3 Nights at 4 star Dedeman Hotel in Cappadocia, http://www.dedeman.com/hotel-cappadocia/dedeman-cappadocia.aspx
- 2 Nights at 4 star Grand Halic Hotel in Istanbul www.grandhalic.com
- Daily open buffet breakfast and dinners at the hotels
- All transfers and transportation by AC Deluxe private Bus with driver, Service charges and local taxes.
- All Entry Fees to the sites and museums
- English Speaking Tour Guide throughout the tour
- Boat Tour in Istanbul
- 1 Night at Horizon Pyramids or similar on HB Basis, http://www.horizonpyramidshotel.com.
- 1 Night at Steigenberger Hotel or similar on HB Basis, http://www.steigenberger.com/en/Luxor.
- 1 Night at Catherine Plaza or similar on HB Basis, http://www.catherineplaza.com/
- Daily breakfast and Dinners at the hotels
- Roundtrip transfers in Cairo (CAI APT/ HTL/ CAI APT)
- Roundtrip transfers in Luxor (LXR APT/ HTL/ LXR APT)
- Transfer from Sharm El Sheikh / St. Catherine
- Transfer from St. Catherine / Nuweibea
- Ferry Boat ticket from Nuweibea
- Full Day Visit Giza Pyramids, Sphinx, Egyptian Museum and Khan El Khalili with lunch at local restaurant
- Half Day East Bank Luxor & Karnak temple
- Half Day West Bank (Valley of the kings. Hatchpsut temple , Colossi of Memnon and Habu temple)
- Raise St. Catherine Mountain and Visit St. Catherine Monastery
- Private English Speaking Guide during all tours
- All transfers in Private Bus
- Meet & assist at the Airport
- Cairo-Luxor Flight MS 353 08:25/09:35
- Luxor-Sharm El Sheik Flight MS 440 21:25/22:15
- 5 Nights at 4 star Prima Royale Hotel in Jerusalem, http://www.prima-hotels-israel.com/jerusalem-hotels/prima-royale-jerusalem-hotel.
- 2 Nights at 4 star Ron Beach Tiberias Hotel in See of Galilee, http://www.ronbeachhotel.com.
- 2 Nights at 4 star Metropolitan Hotel in Tel Aviv, http://www.hotelmetropolitan.co.il/?page_id=2.
- Daily breakfast and Dinners at the hotels
- Entrance fees to sites as per itinerary
- Licensed English speaking Tour Guide throughout touring days
- Transportation in air-conditioned tourist coach during tour
Not included in the price:
- Lunches and drinks
- Tips to Tour Guide, Bus Driver
- Visa Fee for US citizens to be paid upon arrival. Turkey—$20; Egypt--$15, Israel—free. All other citizens including Canadians are responsible to get their own visas
- Any expenses not mentioned in the above "included" list
Flight plan (can be changed):
May 11 Sun Chicago –Izmir via Istanbul - Depart Chicago by TK 6 at 22:15 pm
May 12 Mon Arrive Istanbul at 17:05 – Fly Izmir by TK2336 19:00/20:05
May 25 Sun Cappadocia - Istanbul –TK 2011 09:05/10:35
May 27 Tue Istanbul – Cairo TK 690 06:45-07:55 am.
May 28 Wed Cairo – Fly Luxor MS 353 08:25-09:35 am
May 29 Thu Fly from Luxor to Sharm El-Shaik - Sinai MS440 21:25-22:15
June 8 Sun Tel-Aviv – 7:15 am to Istanbul + Fly Chicago TK 5 11:20/15:30 pm
CONTACT INFORMATION: Department of Religion and Biblical Languages.
ï· Prof. Rahel Schafer, 269-471-3184, firstname.lastname@example.org.
ï· Dr. Keith Mattingly, email@example.com.
ï· Dr. Rubén Muñoz-Larrondo, 269-471-3185, firstname.lastname@example.org
ï· Religion Secretary, 269-471-3177, email@example.com
TOUR COMPANY: Tutku Tours
ï· Head Office : Gaziosmanpasa Bulvari 3/303 Izmir - TURKEY 35210
ï· Phone: +90 (232) 441-8676 / 77 / 35; Fax: +90 (232) 441-8636 E-Mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
On Egypt: http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~ancient/index.html
On Egyptian objects – Global Museum: http://www.globalegyptianmuseum.org/default.aspx
On old pictures of Bible lands: http://www.lifeintheholyland.com/