General Student Employment Information

Return to Student Employment at Andrews University

Hiring Documents and Procedures

The following forms may be obtained from the Employment Office and must be completed before you may begin working.

  • A Federal W-4 Form (Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate)
  • A State W-4 Form
  • An I-9 Form (Employment Eligibility Verification)

To complete the I-9 Form, the government requires each student employee to present original documents verifying the student's identity and employment eligibility. You will need to present either one from list A or one item from each of lists B and C before you will be authorized to begin work.

The following is a list of acceptable documents that you may submit. Acceptable Documents for Employment Eligibility Verification
(Form I-9) Under Interim Rule - September 30, 1997

List A (Identity and Employment Eligibility)

  • United States Passport (unexpired or expired)
  • Unexpired Foreign Passport with I-551 stamp
  • Alien Registration Receipt Card or Permanent Resident Card (INS Form I-551) Unexpired Temporary Resident Card (INS Form I-688)
  • Unexpired Employment Authorization Document issued by the INS, which contains a photograph (INS Form I-766, I-688, I-688A, or I-688B)
  • For aliens authorized by the INS to work only for a specific employer: Unexpired Foreign Passport with Form I-94 containing an endorsement of the alien's non-immigrant status

List B (Identity Only)

  • Driver's License or ID card issued by a state or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, sex, height, eye color, and address
  • ID card issued by federal, state, or local government agencies or entities provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, sex, height, eye color, and address
  • School ID card with a photograph
  • Voter's Registration Card
  • U.S. military card or draft record
  • Military dependent's ID card
  • U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
  • Native American tribal document
  • Driver's license issued by a Canadian government authority
  • For persons under age 18: School record or report card, Clinic, doctor or hospital record; Day-care or nursery school record

List C (Employment Eligibility Only)

  • U.S. social security card issued by the Social Security Administration (other than such a card which specifies on the face that the issuance of the card does not authorize employment in the United States)
  • Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545 or Form DS-1350)
  • Original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a state, county, municipal authority, or outlying possession of the U.S. bearing an official seal
  • Native American tribal document
  • U.S. Citizen ID Card (INS Form I-197)
  • I.D. card for use of Resident Citizen in the United States (INS Form I-179)
  • Unexpired employment authorization document issued by the DHS (other than those listed under List A)


  • Application for a replacement document. A person may present a receipt showing application for a replacement document. An application for initial work authorization or an extension of expiring work authorization is not acceptable. After 90 days, the person must present the actual document.
  • INS Form 1-94 indicating temporary evidence of permanent resident status. A lawful permanent resident may present the arrival portion of the Form 1-94 (Arrival-Departure Record) that the Service has marked with a temporary 1-551 stamp and has affixed with the alien's picture. The Service may issue this document if an alien is not in possession of his or her passport and requires evidence of lawful permanent resident status. After ISO days, the person must present Form I-551, the Alien Registration Receipt Card (commonly referred to as the "green card").
  • INS Form I-94 indicating refugee status. A refugee may present the departure portion of the Form I-94 containing a refugee admission stamp. After 90 days, the person must present either an unrestricted social security card (along with a List B identity document) or an INS Form I-766, employment authorization document. Technical correction will be made to add Form I-6888 to the documents that may be presented after 90 days.

Return to Top

Student Employment

Accepting a new job involves commitment. You are first and foremost a student, but you do have certain responsibilities to your employer. Besides performing your duties to the best of your ability, you are expected to be prompt and dependable for the hours arranged with your employer. If you are unable to keep to the designated schedule, you should notify your supervisor. You will generally find him/her sympathetic to examination schedules, etc. If you find the need to resign, please notify your supervisor as soon as possible to allow time for a replacement and any necessary training.

Students are paid by the hour and checks are issued biweekly. Paychecks are based upon time reports submitted by each department at the end of each week.

Students should report any employment problems to the Employment office.

Return to Top

Student Employment for U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents

The Employment Office serves as the human resource office for all enrolled Andrews University students including undergraduate, graduate, Andrews Academy and Ruth Murdoch Elementary students. We administer the following programs: Federal Work-Study (FWS), a need based federal financial aid program that provides eligible students the opportunity to earn a portion of their financial aid package through part-time employment; Michigan Work Study (MWS), a need based state financial aid program that provides eligible students the opportunity to earn a portion of their financial aid package through part time employment; and On-Campus Employment, university funded jobs available to students regardless of their financial need.