The Federal and Michigan Work-Study Program

In order to be considered for the Federal and/or Michigan Work-Study Program, you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (also called the FAFSA). You may request these forms by contacting the Student Financial Services office at (269) 471-3334 or (800) 253-3874 and ask for the Student Financial Services office.

If you qualify for the program, your award letter from Student Financial Services will tell you how much Work-Study money you are eligible to earn. Students enrolled less than half time and/or pursuing theology degrees are not eligible for this program.

The Work-Study Program provides jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. If you are an undergraduate student, you will most likely be paid by the hour, but if you are a graduate student, you may be paid by the hour or you may receive a stipend or salary.

Your Work-Study wages will be at least the current federal minimum wage, but it may be higher, depending on the type of work you do and the skills required. Your total Work-Study award depends on when you apply, your level of need, and the funding level of your school.

Work-Study students are paid every two weeks for the hours they have worked. The paycheck will be for the entire earnings, minus taxes.

The government developed the Work-Study Program for three reasons:
  • To help students afford post-secondary education.
  • To encourage employers to hire students.
  • To encourage students to work with community service organizations.

The Work-Study Program is administered on campus by a joint effort between the Student Financial Services and the Payroll office.

Keeping a Work-Study Position

In order to maintain your eligibility for the Work-Study Program, you must:

  • Be enrolled at least halftime as an undergraduate or graduate student. (Under certain circumstances, students may participate in the Work-Study Program during summer vacation even though they are not attending classes. In such cases, students must use their net summer earnings - gross earnings minus taxes and job-related expenses - to pay their tuition and other expenses fall semester.)
  • Steadily move toward the completion of a degree.
  • Meet all scheduled work appointments and perform your assigned duties satisfactorily.

You are responsible for reporting any changes in your financial situation to the Student Financial Services office.