FAQs about Community Living

Q: Is there any way I can live outside of the residence hall if I am not yet 22 years of age?

A: If you meet the criteria outlined in our policy you will be approved to live outside of the residence hall. Other than that, exceptions to our policy are not made and should not be requested by students or parents.

Q: I am a responsible student and mature enough to live on my own. Why am I being required to live in the residence hall?

A: The requirement that students live in the residence hall is not related to their maturity level or readiness for independence. Residential living is part of Andrews University's philosophy of community-based learning and development, which is integral to the mission of the institution. With the exception of honoring the influence of the home of a parent, grandparent, aunt/uncle, sibling age 22+ or current, full-time faculty/staff member, where it may exist, we do not wish to establish a commuter-based environment at the undergraduate level.

Q: If my application for community living is denied, is there anyone to whom I can appeal?

A: If your application is denied, it is because you do not meet the criteria listed in the University's policy. The president and provost of the University and the vice president for Campus & Student Life have entrusted the Student Life office to apply this policy across the board with all students. Further appeals will not change the application of University policy in a given situation. However, University administrators are willing to receive your feedback.

Q: Unless I move out of the residence hall, I cannot afford to stay at Andrews University. What should I do?

A: The University is not in a position to further discount the costs of an Andrews education by waiving its residential living requirement. A four-year discount on educational costs is already offered by the institution through the Andrews Partnership Scholarship, which offers money on the basis of academic merit, as well as financial need. If you are having trouble financing your education, you should meet with your Financial Advisor to discuss your options.

Q: The residence hall is not a conducive environment for my personal and academic needs. Can I move to a University or community apartment?

A: If you are not able to resolve residential issues such as excessive noise levels or interpersonal conflicts with the help of an RA, we suggest that you set up an appointment with your residence hall dean to find a workable solution. Please understand that moving out of the residence hall will not be an option unless you meet the conditions of the policy.

Q: My parents live out of town but would like to rent an apartment or buy a second home in the area for me to live in. Is that okay?

A: It is allowed, as long as a parent or parents live full-time in the local residence with you. They must offer proof of local residency by providing a copy of a current Michigan or Indiana driver's license with a matching local address. They may not divide their time between residences during the school year.

Q: I hear that other students are dishonest about their living situations and are thus able to live off-campus. Am I being penalized for being honest?

A: No. Our expectation is that University documents be completed with honesty. If we learn of any dishonesty on the part of a student, parent or others in filing or fulfilling the Community Residential Application and Agreement, appropriate disciplinary action is taken and the applicant's student status may be jeopardized.