Dr. Helm joined the Behavioral Sciences Faculty in 1992. He brings with him considerable expertise in the areas of counseling and assessment. Dr. Helm also worked as a therapist for a community mental health center and in the Andrews University Counseling and Testing Center.
Dr. Helm has published in the Journal of Psychology and Christianity, Educational Psychological Measurement, and Psychological Reports. He has presented at the American Psychological Association, American Sociological Association, and American Public Health Association.
Current Research or Professional Activities
- Contributer: Many Voices: An Introduction to Social Issues. (2006) Andrews University Press
Refereed Journal Articles
- Baltazar, A.,Helm, H. W. Jr., McBride, D., Hopkins, G., & Stevens, J. V. Jr. (2010). Internet Pornography use in the context of external an internal religiosity. Journal of Psychology and Theology. 38(1), 32-40.
- Helm, H. W. Jr., Lien, L. M., McBride, D.C., & Bell, B. (2009) Comparison of alcohol, and other drug use trends between prohibitionist university and national data sets. Journal of Research on Christian Education. 18(2), 190-205.
- Helm, H. W. Jr., Lien, L. M., D. C., Knox, D., & Zusman, M. (2009). The influence of a conservative religion on premarital sexual behavior of university students. North American Journal of Psychology. 11(2), 231-245.
- Felt, J. N., McBride, D. C., Helm, H. W. Jr. (2008). Alcohol, tobacco, and marijuana use within a religious affiliated university. Journal of Drug Issues, 38(3), 799-820.
- Amador, J., Charles, T., Tait, J., & Helm, H. W. Jr. (2005). Sex and generational differences in desired characteristics in mate selection. Psychological Reports. 96, 19-25.
- Freier, M. C., McBride, D., Hopkins, G., Babikian, T., Richardson, L., Helm, H., Boward, M.D., Hopp Marskak, H. & Sector Health Care Affairs. (2005). The process of research in international settings: From risk assessment to program development and intervention. Journal of Urban Health, 82(3), iv9-iv15.
- Sabes, J., & Helm, H. W. Jr. (2004). Is recall rage increasing? North American Journal of Psychology, 6(3), 405-414.
- Hopkins, G. L., Freier, M. C., babikian, T., Helm, H. W. Jr., McBride, D. C., Boward, M., Gillespie, S., DiClemente, R. (2004). Substance Use Among students Attenting a Christian University that Strictly Prohibits the use of Substances. Journal of Research on Christian Education, 13(1), 23-39.
- Helm, H. W. Jr. (2003). Factor Structure of the Beck depression Inventory in a University Sample. Psychological Reports, 92,53-61.
- Helm, H. W. Jr., Boward, M. A., McBride, D. C., & Del Rion, R. I. (2002). Depression, drug use, and gender differences among students at a religious university. North American Journal of Psychology, 4(2), 183-198.
- Patzer, N. L. & Helm, H. W. Jr., (2001) Catagories of Sucess endorsed among religiously identified Seventh-day Adventist Students. Pastoral Psychology, 50, (1), 25-37.
- Freier, M.C., McBride, D., Hopkins, G., Babikian, T., Richardson, L., & Helm, H. (2005) The process of research in international settings: From risk assessment to program development and intervention. Journal of Urban Health, 82 (3), iv 9-iv15.
- McBride, D.C., Freier, M.C., Hopkins, G.L., Babikin, T., Richardson, L., Helm, H., Boward, M. D., Hopp Marskak, H. & Sector Health Care Affairs. (2005) Quality of parent-child relationship and adolescent HIV risk behavior in St. Maarten, AIDS Care, 17, S45-S54.
- Helm, H. W. Jr., Cook, J.R. & Berecz, J. M. (2005) The implications of conjunctive and disjunctive forgiveness for sexual abuse. Pastoral Psychology. 54(1), 23-34
- Helm, H. W. Jr., & Bailey K. G. D. "Eye tracking and Art: A case study of integrating innovations in Research in teh Undergraduate classroom." Affiliated Meeting of the Society for Teaching Psuchology, at MPA's Eighty-fourth Annual Meeting Midwestern Psychological Association, Chicago, IL, 2012.
- Helm, H. W. Jr. & Bailey, K. G. D. "Students' Perceptions of the Usefulness of a Professional Conference." Poster presented at the 34th Annual Conference of the National Institute on Teaching Psychology, St. Pete Beach, FL, 2012.
- Corea, A. (Herbert W. Helm Jr., Faculty Sponsor). Poverty: An Analysis of Attributions and Solutions. A poster presented at MPA's Eighty-fourth Annual Meeting (Psi Chi Poster Session), Chicago, May, 2012.
- Catlin, L., McBride, D. C., Helm, H. W., Bailey, R. N., & Bailey, K. G. D. Multiple Comorbidities of alcohol and drug use. Poster presented at the 136th Annual Meeting of the American Public Health Assiciation, Sandiego, CA, 2008.
- Giem, J. N., McBride, D. C., Helm, H. W. Jr., Gillespie, S. A., "Does bonding matter? The attenuating influence of need for adult approval on the relationship between perception of and self-reported subsatance use." APHA 134th Annual Meeting, Boston, Nov. 2006.
- Proctor, D., Williams, A., Helm, H., Cook, J., Whatton, D., & Turk, R. "Attending the MPA Convention from a Student and Teacher's Perspective." A symposium presented at MPA's Seventy-Seventh Annual Meeting (Council of Teachers of Undergraduate Psychology), Chicago, May, 2005.
- Williams, A., Giem, J., & Turk, R. (Herbert W. Helm Jr., Faculty Sponsor) Gender Differences in Self-Disclosure through Various Communication Mediums. A poster presented at MPA's Seventy-Seventh Annual Meeting (Psi Chi Poster Session), Chicago, May, 2005.
- Guilt and shame in Japan: Data provided by the Thematic Apperception Test in experimental settings. For the North American Journal of Psychology (August, 2005).
- Food intake among African American girls: A qualitative analysis. For the North American Journal of Psychology (September, 2005).
- Color and personality: Strong's Interest Inventory and Cattell's 16PF. For the North American Journal of Psychology (December, 2005).